Kraton Blx 185 failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnumbers24

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a Kraton 6s ran it like 8 times and haven’t really been too rough on it. Cleaned it thoroughly then dried it with compressed air the last time I ran it. It sat for a day or so then I threw a fresh 4s in it and it was cutting out bad and had some sputtering going on with the throttle. I run it both on 4 and 6s. Steering is perfect but now it’s not responding to throttle at all and it blinks 4 times green repeatedly. I’ve read a bit about this issue and tried the yellow wire Method of resetting esc with no luck. The factory reset method does not respond either. I’m afraid the esc is smoked. I just sat on hold for over 10 mins trying to get ahold of someone at horizon for the second time today. Any ideas?

Try resetting it a couple more times, took me a dozen or two tries and it came back to life!

There is a fix for this
I just recently purchased a Kraton 6s ran it like 8 times and haven’t really been too rough on it. Cleaned it thoroughly then dried it with compressed air the last time I ran it. It sat for a day or so then I threw a fresh 4s in it and it was cutting out bad and had some sputtering going on with the throttle. I run it both on 4 and 6s. Steering is perfect but now it’s not responding to throttle at all and it blinks 4 times green repeatedly. I’ve read a bit about this issue and tried the yellow wire Method of resetting esc with no luck. The factory reset method does not respond either. I’m afraid the esc is smoked. I just sat on hold for over 10 mins trying to get ahold of someone at horizon for the second time today. Any ideas?

Try resetting it a couple more times, took me a dozen or two tries and it came back to life!

That many times! I tried it prolly 7 or 8 and just figured it’s toast. I have to ask.. if it took that many tries to get yours to work, how reliable is it now? Have you ran it a bunch since that happened to yours?
I figure I’ll just send in the esc and hope they replace it. I copied the paperwork needed and added proof of purchase with date purchased but I feel like I should talk to someone first before I just send it in.

Last edited:
That many times! I tried it prolly 7 or 8 and just figured it’s toast. I have to ask.. if it took that many tries to get yours to work, how reliable is it now? Have you ran it a bunch since that happened to yours?
I figure I’ll just send in the esc and hope they replace it. I copied the paperwork needed and added proof of purchase with date purchased but I feel like I should talk to someone first before I just send it in.
Did you try the video i sended?

Did you try the video i sended?
Yes I tried it and it did not work for me. I have the esc in a box ready to ship but I still can’t get ahold of anyone at horizon hobby. I’ve called a few different numbers but they all go to the same answering service and they put you on hold forever and there is no call back option. Might take it out and try the video thing again but I’d rather just get a new one from Arrma under warranty. I’ve had a few Traxxas trucks and never seen this kind of crap happen. Kind of disappointed at Arrma at this point. Definetly would help if they would answer their damn phone lines. I’ve tried calling on like 6 different occasions. Every time on hold over 10-15 mins. Social distancing excuses at there best

Yes I tried it and it did not work for me. I have the esc in a box ready to ship but I still can’t get ahold of anyone at horizon hobby. I’ve called a few different numbers but they all go to the same answering service and they put you on hold forever and there is no call back option. Might take it out and try the video thing again but I’d rather just get a new one from Arrma under warranty. I’ve had a few Traxxas trucks and never seen this kind of crap happen. Kind of disappointed at Arrma at this point. Definetly would help if they would answer their damn phone lines. I’ve tried calling on like 6 different occasions. Every time on hold over 10-15 mins. Social distancing excuses at there best
Email them

Did that yesterday.. I got a confirmation email with an order number and all that but when I type it in on horizon website to check on it, it says it doesn’t recognize my info from the email they sent me

My 185 did this and eventually i did get it to start working again. One pack later it burst into flames. Definitely keep an eye on it!

Did that yesterday.. I got a confirmation email with an order number and all that but when I type it in on horizon website to check on it, it says it doesn’t recognize my info from the email they sent me
Dude they will just reply you trought email its an email communication you cant look the status on their website its a private case. They should answer you by tomorrow end of the day

Ok.. finally a week later they just sent out a new esc for the Kraton. Kind of want to sell the combo now and get castle mamba monster or max 6. I’m on the fence about which one will be more reliable cause I’ve been doing my research and have read about max 6 failures and castle 2200 overheating problems. I’ve came to the conclusion that buying the castle 8s esc and pairing it with a Somewhere in the 1700 kv range motor is the way to go! Little on the pricey side for me. How reliable is the max 6 1650 kv combo?I know this topic has been covered many times and I’m pretty green to all this technology in these new trucks but I want this thing to be a badass and need a little more confidence to pull the trigger on a new setup. This truck isn’t gonna see a lot of pavement. I have a few acres with equipment to build jumps so it’s gonna get beat up a little bit!

From past experience with Horrible Horizon Hobby you will not get or have any help or satisfaction with them
I had the same problem and had to eat it. Not only with the Kraton but the Notorious as well. Good luck Fuss.

From past experience with Horrible Horizon Hobby you will not get or have any help or satisfaction with them
I had the same problem and had to eat it. Not only with the Kraton but the Notorious as well. Good luck Fuss.
They sent out a new one today.
1/8 mamba monster x with hobbystar or max 6 1650 combo:unsure:

Last edited:
I,ve had this happen on one of my cars but the other car with 185 blx esc has been ok for maybe two years sometimes these things happen they take alot of hammer

I found a dead BLX185 in my parts bin. I emailed Horizon and a few days later I got an email saying there are sending a new one. In the US, HH customer service is excellent.

.... Cleaned it thoroughly then dried it with compressed air the last time I ran...Any ideas?
Looks like you have it solved but did you get it wet? If you did, you will literally press the water into the smallest openings with compressed air.
Do NOT use water on electronics or anything with a bearing.

I use compressed air all the time but don't get too close on sensitive areas, stay on solid surfaces, not the epoxy to metal bonding areas.
Bearings and electronics are sensitive and should be avoided, use a brush.

Looks like you have it solved but did you get it wet? If you did, you will literally press the water into the smallest openings with compressed air.

I use compressed air all the time but don't get too close on sensitive areas, stay on solid surfaces, not the epoxy to metal bonding areas.

I definitely got it wet a few times. I sprayed it with garden hose to clean most dirt off then let it sit upside down for a little while then lightly hit it with the air hose. I was thinking that might have caused the esc to fail also but being so new and claiming to be water proof I feel like it should’ve been ok.. I don’t know like I said before I’m still fairly green to all this stuff but I’m soaking up quite a bit lately. I’m gonna sell the combo and buy castle or hobbywing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back