Talion BLX 185 Troubleshooting - No Throttle - Solid Green

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBLX185

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I'm trying to figure out if my BLX 185 is dead or not. I turn it on and the green light flashes--I think that is normal. But then things get weird. The throttle only sporadically works, sometime the motor runs, sometimes I get three flashing green lights and sometime I get a fast green flicker (and the motor chatter you get when you are programming the ESC). Then after a few minutes of futzing around I get a solid green light and no throttle. I've tried the factory reset and manual programming steps--ESC does nothing. I was able to see my ESC settings and reset using a programming card, but that did not help.

The battery I'm using has plenty of power and the radio is working fine (still have the stock STX2). The truck is a Talion v4.

Any hope, or should I start shopping for a new ESC?

Best, JohnnyBLX185

Have you reset it to defaults and calibrated it again? That would be my first step. If not that, check all of your wires very closely.

The manual reset to defaults did not work, but I think I was able to reset it using a programming card. The ESC would not take individual settings from the card, it would freeze up the card if you tried to change individual parameters.

No luck calibrating the ESC, the "Set" button does not do much anymore. It will "kind of" enter programming mode, but only blinks for parameter, not the number for the setting of the parameter.

The best diagnostic seems to be that the throttle works for a few seconds, then the stops and the ESC does 3 fast blinks repeatedly. Any idea what that error code is? And after messing around a bit the solid green light comes on and no throttle at all.

The wires seem fine. The ESC is powering the radio. The control wires are solidly in the receiver. The motor wires are plugged in properly, and the motor will run intermittently.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the problem started when I was bashing and threw a dogbone. After that the problems started. The dogbone was jammed against the outdrive, and stopped it from spinning. But the differential is open, so it wasn't a complete lockup.

Could be radio issues. Please replace the STX2. With literally anything else.
Sounds to me like throttle signal issues which confuse the ESC.

Could be radio issues. Please replace the STX2. With literally anything else.
Sounds to me like throttle signal issues which confuse the ESC.

Doubt it. The ESC won’t program properly or reset when disconnected from the receiver. Swapping the throttle and servo give the same results too, just with different controls. The STX2 might suck, but it doesn’t seem to be the culprit this time.

I tried a bunch of stuff with disconnecting motor wires, using the program card, resetting and calibrating—nothing worked. Looks like I’m in the market for a new ESC. I’m thinking a Max6 right now to have some extra capacity. But will see.

I find it hard to believe all my escs are erroring. Spektrum once sent me replacement battery and my radio analog calibration got jammed or thrown off. I power radio and car it took off full throttle in my house breaking all kinda a poop urging my arms from tire friction as I to grab it. Got new radio went on. I would not day anything when second time same thing same thing happen when they sent another replacement part. Battery again. I told the representative and he told me to reset or calibration anolog setting and how to. Did it to both radios. And fixed. How or why esc would do that I can only suspect. So to day your in market for new is not acceptable that's the attitude people have . At same time VXL6 AND BLX185 BOTH STOP WORKING .
I find it hard to believe all my escs are erroring. Spektrum once sent me replacement battery and my radio analog calibration got jammed or thrown off. I power radio and car it took off full throttle in my house breaking all kinda a poop urging my arms from tire friction as I to grab it. Got new radio went on. I would not day anything when second time same thing same thing happen when they sent another replacement part. Battery again. I told the representative and he told me to reset or calibration anolog setting and how to. Did it to both radios. And fixed. How or why esc would do that I can only suspect. So to day your in market for new is not acceptable that's the attitude people have . At same time VXL6 AND BLX185 BOTH STOP WORKING .

Huh?

last time I had them problems with the 185 esc it went up in flames and took the steering servo with it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back