Notorious BLX 185 waterproof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeakTop94

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hello everybody! Could you please tell me the class of BLX 185 Esc waterproof? Is it ip54 or ip67? I've ordered a Notorious, but i'm afraid of the troubles which can be caused by water, if it gets into esc. Will warranty help me in that case? I found no information about it. Sorry for bad english =)

It’s a truck, not a submarine... LOL jk
Pretty sure it doesn’t have an IP rating but it can definitely go underwater .... I wouldn’t do it all the time though
Of course it'not a submarine, but can i clean it in the shower? and go into deep puddles? I've seen many videos, but it would be good to be sure

Sank mine to the bottom of the lake twice on the same occasion, worked just fine afterwards. I even yelled out “submarine mode” ?

I clean my RCs with a garden hose now and then, avoid spraying directly on the esc/motor, but they sure get wet. It'll be fine.
My crawler ESCs spend minutes at a time underwater and the're still running.

Even though you can run through water and puddles I would advise against it. Water causes rust to bearings, screws, and anything metal. Electonics don't like water also, more like water resistant, not waterproof. Cleaning in a shower is not a good idea unless you throughly dry and lube everything after, you will have to cover the electronics to keep water out.

There are better ways to clean a RC and shower is not the way. HH will warranty a esc, but I suspect not if you used it as a submarine. Dirt and mud is hard on these rigs and must be throughly cleaned and maintained, water just multiplies the maintenance and you may find yourself dismantling your truck to get it clean and dry. So by all means run it in water if you're willing to put in the time for maintenance, if not get a boat!

I see you are new to R/C...welcome...

As stated above water does not play well with the bearings, and there are plenty of them, some more time consuming to replace than others. There’s 8 wheel bearings and 10 diff bearings that need to be checked and replaced periodically. If you get it wet and put it away to dry without doing anything you are guaranteed to waste all the bearings and I can assure you that’s a good 2 hours wrenching and that’s for someone who knows what they’re doing.

If I got my RC wet, I would spray wd40 where all the bearings are, and air dry with a compressor as best I can. Also all your screws will develop surface rust if they get wet and you don’t wd40 them. Might want to lightly grease all the hinge pins as well

After I wash mine I run it at 50% speed on a box for 10 mins to spin and heat the water out of the bearings. Then I leave it on the floor with a small fan blowing over it for an hour or so to ensure its all dry. Works a treat.

ESC is the least of your worries with water, avoid it like the plague.
Water will carry dust and dirt into the bearings incl. the front motor bearing. Hence the avoidance on 'rinsing it off' or taking it into a shower.
WD40 will remove the moisture but leave the dust and grime in the bearings.
Body shell etc no issue, the rest, I would just undust with a brush, if it's heavy mud let it dry and clean after.

If you do hose it down and do all the spraying, I'd still break it down after ~ 5 packs and re-oil all bearings. really depends on your driving area though i.e. dusty, muddy, grass etc.

I just blow it off with compressed air.

Last edited:
Had mine under water for about min with zero problems from it.don't addvise,but hydroplaning the lake was awesome.

Screenshot_20200907-200350_Photos.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back