Kraton BLX 2050KV side to side play on shaft...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLikeRCs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
The shaft has play to one side but not to the other. The motor sounds a bit nasty too when I spin it by hand.
Does that mean I need a new motor or can I still fix it?
Here's a video where you can see the issue more clearly:

Open it up and examine the bearings (make sure you remember how it all goes together and what order/orientation any washers/spacers are in. Take a look at the rotor and make sure the wrap still looks good. Most likely bearings but might as well make sure the rest is Ok before you buy new ones

The shaft has play to one side but not to the other. The motor sounds a bit nasty too when I spin it by hand.
Does that mean I need a new motor or can I still fix it?
Here's a video where you can see the issue more clearly:
I had same issue with my 2200 mmx motor. I replaced them with boca bearings ceramic in rear of motor its covered and sealed bearing on front shaft all good know

Open it up and examine the bearings (make sure you remember how it all goes together and what order/orientation any washers/spacers are in. Take a look at the rotor and make sure the wrap still looks good. Most likely bearings but might as well make sure the rest is Ok before you buy new ones
Hey man, I just upended it up and seems like everything else is fine. There are 2 bent thin washers on the bottom of the shaft before a thick spacer, are they supposed to be straight or is it OK like that? Also, the bearings seem fine to me but the shaft literally has play in the inner ring part of one of the bearings????

About the bearings themselves: Are the inner bearing rings still perfectly round? do the turn nicely or does it feel crunchy, even a tiny little bit?
About the shaft, when you say it has play on the inner ring, is it the ring that moves, or is there actual space? And is the shaft still perfectly straight, like no material missing at the place that it is moving?

It is possible that the bearings have worn out, but that you don't notice it. I'm not entirely sure how it works in rc (rather new to the whole thing), but in skateboarding (I skated 22 years), when your bearings get hot from lack of lubrication or dirt buildup in them, they start to deform and expand up to a point that you have play on your axles. I have even seen cases where the bearings would just not spin anymore and just eat away from the axles.
Seeing as a motor spins many thouseands of times a minute, I assume the same can happen. And from what I understood, that is also why you don't use rubber sealed bearings on motors.

I'm pretty sure the thin washers/shims are not supposed to be bent, but I'll leave it to someone else with more knowledge to confirm that.

About the bearings themselves: Are the inner bearing rings still perfectly round? do the turn nicely or does it feel crunchy, even a tiny little bit?
About the shaft, when you say it has play on the inner ring, is it the ring that moves, or is there actual space? And is the shaft still perfectly straight, like no material missing at the place that it is moving?

It is possible that the bearings have worn out, but that you don't notice it. I'm not entirely sure how it works in rc (rather new to the whole thing), but in skateboarding (I skated 22 years), when your bearings get hot from lack of lubrication or dirt buildup in them, they start to deform and expand up to a point that you have play on your axles. I have even seen cases where the bearings would just not spin anymore and just eat away from the axles.
Seeing as a motor spins many thouseands of times a minute, I assume the same can happen. And from what I understood, that is also why you don't use rubber sealed bearings on motors.
I'm pretty sure the thin washers/shims are not supposed to be bent, but I'll leave it to someone else with more knowledge to confirm that.
There is actual space between the shaft and the bearing. The front bearing does feel a tiny bit crunchy, the rear one is just fine.
Oh no, I just noticed that the bearing actually ground a bit of the motor shaft narrower 😬
Am I fricked now and need a new motor???
Still don't know about the shims btw.

There is actual space between the shaft and the bearing. The front bearing does feel a tiny bit crunchy, the rear one is just fine.
Oh no, I just noticed that the bearing actually ground a bit of the motor shaft narrower 😬
Am I fricked now and need a new motor???
Still don't know about the shims btw.
For the bearing, the crunchyness is because there's dirt inside it. You could either buy new ones, or attempt to open them up and clean them out.

I honestly have not enough experience to say what would be next with the motor (and shims).

Send pics of the shaft.
IMG_20210228_132036.jpg
IMG_20210228_132124.jpg

Here you go. Let me know if you need other pics

View attachment 129139View attachment 129140
Here you go. Let me know if you need other pics
Depending on how deep that groove is (hard to tell in pic) unfortunately I think your stator is trashed. I'm pretty sure it'll still have a wobble when you reassemble. I would work on getting a replacement motor from JRC. I trashed a motor early on because a bearing failed and blew apart. It sucks, but I learned my lesson. Better maintenance and keep a spare motor around.

Depending on how deep that groove is (hard to tell in pic) unfortunately I think your stator is trashed. I'm pretty sure it'll still have a wobble when you reassemble. I would work on getting a replacement motor from JRC. I trashed a motor early on because a bearing failed and blew apart. It sucks, but I learned my lesson. Better maintenance and keep a spare motor around.
oh no, this is my second trashed motor then.... on the first one a piece of the magnet just fricken fell off and locked everything up.
unfortunately the jenny's rc motor is out of stock and when it is in stock I'll be waiting 30 days for it because I'm in Europe.. Do you think I can just run this motor until it won't run any more? like the worst that could happen is that it locks up while driving right? the shaft with pinion only has movement closer to the spur gear, not further away from it so seems pretty safe to me..?

or are there any other cheap but as good motors (or even an upgrade??) available?

oh no, this is my second trashed motor then.... on the first one a piece of the magnet just fricken fell off and locked everything up.
unfortunately the jenny's rc motor is out of stock and when it is in stock I'll be waiting 30 days for it because I'm in Europe.. Do you think I can just run this motor until it won't run any more? like the worst that could happen is that it locks up while driving right? the shaft with pinion only has movement closer to the spur gear, not further away from it so seems pretty safe to me..?

or are there any other cheap but as good motors (or even an upgrade??) available?
Put bearings back in and run it. 🤷‍♂️ I'm running HW combos in my Kratons (Not cheap)

Put bearings back in and run it. 🤷‍♂️ I'm running HW combos in my Kratons (Not cheap)
I managed to actually free the kinda crunchy one up with a bit of brake cleaner and now put some oil into it. seems to work well. I found this 60€ motor with 3-4day shipping, same size as stock and looks a lot like it too. only thing is it's not 2050kv but 2200kv! think it'll be an Issue? https://www.getgoods.com/products/7...5xvX_Jfz7kPoxS-7dFTwyz7Y894HI3iBoCUXEQAvD_BwE

I'd have to resolder other bullets onto it (it's got 4mm ones) but no big deal

Run it until it breaks, can't do any more harm. Order a new one, this one most likely won't last much longer. Order standard bearings (non-ceramic) for this one though. Seems like you only need the one in the front.

On the spacers/shims/wobbly washers, yes they are supposed to look like that. They provide pressure on the rotor and give some minimal flex.

Run it until it breaks, can't do any more harm. Order a new one, this one most likely won't last much longer. Order standard bearings (non-ceramic) for this one though. Seems like you only need the one in the front.

On the spacers/shims/wobbly washers, yes they are supposed to look like that. They provide pressure on the rotor and give some minimal flex.
This ^ they are actually a spring washer.

don't want to be mean but this is just lack of maintenence, i remplaced my front bearings with ceramic hybrid sealed from acer racing.
Your lucky your bearing didnt explode instead it just grounded the shaft
Maybe try filling and leveling the groove with a product i cant tell ya.

I don't think thats a good idea. Might risk to burn up the esc.

For the bearing, the crunchyness is because there's dirt inside it. You could either buy new ones, or attempt to open them up and clean them out.

I honestly have not enough experience to say what would be next with the motor (and shims).
The shims are spring steel to take up end play in the motor

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back