Granite BLX and Granite gearboxes interchangeable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRspeed

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Voltage
Hi Guys,

I have a 4x4 Granite mega that was converted to brushless.The outgoing motor is a Castle 1406 3600 which will be perfect going into my son's Granite Voltage. I'm installing a new GoolRC motor, 3660 3800kv. I accidentally ordered one with a 5mm shaft. Adapting to the 5mm motor, it seems I have two ways to go about this.

1. I can stay with a 48p setup, get a $10 pinion and perhaps the $30 Hot Racing steel spur gear, versus
  2. Moving to a 32p setup from a BLX for strength and durability. Is this interchangeable/drop in?
If I was to move to a 32p setup, is there an economical, straight-forward, convenient, drop-in way to go? What are you thoughts on which way to go? I'm not too interested in fabbing up stuff.

Thank you

Last edited:
Heres everything you'd need from JRC. If you're still running the mega diffs, I would recommend picking up the input gears and diffs as we'll. Chances are you're gonna blow em out. I know the stuff is out of stock right now, but they should be restocking soon. Even if the parts are from a different 3s vehicle they're all interchangeable except the pinion. I think the senton pinion is a 20 tooth and the others are 15 tooth.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...nton-big-rock-ar102666?variant=12599682826294

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...mbly-diff-57t-ar102666?variant=12599697014838

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...-shaft-senton-ar102666?variant=12599693770806

Go to the Ebay kit breakers and get the whole motor mount. The mega motor mount holes are sized for the 48p pinion choices. So to use the 32p spur and pinions, you would need to modify it. Easy to do, but you said you don't want to modify anything, so...

Here's a question, does anyone know if the Hot Racing adjustable motor mount for the 3s models can fit into the Mega gearbox fairly easily? I'm not opposed to modding entirely, it's just that I don't want a super complex project if you know what I mean.

Basically, wondering if I can get the adjustable mount above, a mod.8/32p pinion and the BLX slipper clutch assembly with the spur gear to match and voila.

Yes, it would work. The motor plates are the same between the Mega and BLX other than the motor mounting holes which in this case doesn’t matter since it’s adjustable.

Here's a question, does anyone know if the Hot Racing adjustable motor mount for the 3s models can fit into the Mega gearbox fairly easily? I'm not opposed to modding entirely, it's just that I don't want a super complex project if you know what I mean.

Basically, wondering if I can get the adjustable mount above, a mod.8/32p pinion and the BLX slipper clutch assembly with the spur gear to match and voila.

You would have to hack the crap out of the mega motor mount. I wouldn't attempt it.

You will have to buy the BLX motor module to make the hot racing adjustable work. Unless you literally want to try and hack up the Mega module as mentioned by Bickety. I kept my eyes out at 3 of the kitbreakers to finish my conversion to BLX drivetrain parts. Jennys was hard to find in stock and wasn't always the best option anyways. For example the diffs, I bought mine from here https://www.ebay.com/str/rcparts4you/Senton-4x4-3s-BLX/_i.html?_storecat=32356931018 . I chose this store specifically for my diffs becasue they came with the input gears and bearing aswell as the yokes for about the same money. The prices go up and down as supply and demand does of course. I bought the Slipper and the diffs. The way i bought the diffs made it so that those 3 purchases are all that was needed to consider my Mega a BLX

Oh also to add to my post above. Should've been 4 purchases becasue of the BLX motor module.
I suppose also the metal wheel hexes if you choose. After those 4-5 items it is a BLX. 16$ for the slipper assembly, 40$ total for the diffs with extras. 13$ for the motor module with heatsink and the wheel hexes. Those were my prices going on 2 months ago.

Last edited:
What are we on some sort of global slipper and diff shortage so the demand has gone up hence the prices?

What are we on some sort of global slipper and diff shortage so the demand has gone up hence the prices?

Pretty much. It's the most common item needed to convert from brushed to brushless (other than the ESC and motor).

Yeah I don’t regret any of my purchases but the main part needed was the slipper assembly and pinion. The HD input gears I had for the 48p mega system seemed to have a nub blocking me from putting on the center driveshaft and was another reason I went ahead and just bought the BLX diffs and all. When I get home later I could post a pic of the “nub” I’m talking about. It’s inside the metal end of the HD input gear that I had bought for my mega drivetrain. Most likely something that could’ve been modded to fit but went the drop in route

I think it is a case of all of us Mega owners are trying to get our trucks upgraded. Diffs and slip clutches get snatched up pretty much the moment they get listed. Got to be quick.

Also, I'd vote go ahead and pick up the metal hexes. Last time I checked, they are still cheap. Mine seem to be decent quality cast aluminum, and have a set screw. Minor upgrade, but I likey.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back