BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horizon product support had me disconnect the servo and aux lead from the receiver while troubleshooting my 2nd ESC that failed.
Unfortunately there is only so much they can do. If you have a multimeter you can do a lot more testing on the electrical system.

I saw some suggestions, but is there a proven ESC I can get right now that works in the Granite? I feel I am too deep in the hole to not have a running car. I'll bite the bullet and get whatever truly works. So is there a proven fix?

Honestly I doubt it's the ESC but the is always Hobbywing and Castle.
considering that your Firma is a differently painted Hobbywing your options are limited.

The Firma is proven, Hobbywing and Castle as well.

>> TL/DR: I accidentally calibrated my ESC (BLX100) endpoints with my tx set to 50% throttle, then ran it on 100% on my first run.
Overdrained my battery a little, but thankfully didn't fry my electronics. Phew. <<

I recently made a mistake in dialing in my new Big Rock and thought I would share my findings here - did my best to sift through and make sure it wasn't a repeat - apologies if it is.

Issues noticed:
After calibrating my ESC, charging up brand-new batteries, and taking my BRCC on its first run, two things happened:
  1. It wheelied constantly and topped out around half throttle - fun, but hard to control
  2. It drained my 3s lipo to an avg of 3.0v/cell and very out of balance - one even made it down to ~2.9v 😲
Troubleshooting:
  1. VERY carefully nursed my poor lipo back to a balanced 3.2v/cell, then slowly balanced charged and checked IR
  2. Verified that the ESC's LVC was set to Lipo mode (it was)
  3. Painfully realized that I might have set throttle endpoints with the transmitter's throttle limiter to 50%
  4. Set the transmitter throttle limit to 100%, recalibrated throttle endpoints, and ran again, this time with a voltage alarm hooked up to the pack
Result:
  1. After recalibrating the throttle endpoints, the throttle range (predictably) became a lot more usable. The truck still wheelies, but only when applying liberal throttle.
  2. That battery seems to be stable (no puffing ever, and it wasn't too warm after running) and stays balanced - but I'll continue to be gentle with it and keep an eye on it for... the rest of its life 🥲

Can you imagine running your truck for the first time on 50% throttle (to be safe) and it just doing wheelies all over the place? I was so excited until I saw the voltage on the charger 😆 glad it didn't end in expensive damage - and sharing just in case 👍

My apology if this has already been asked (I did search) but I’m having trouble with my Hobbywing EZRUN MAX10 SCT on my Granite BLX. I’m trying to (re)calibrate my ESC following the steps from the instruction manual. I start by turning on the transmitter with the ESC turned off but connected to a battery. I hold the SET button and press the ON/OFF button, the RED LED on the ESC starts to flash, and then release the SET button immediately. The ESC seems to be going into calibration mode as the ESC start to continuously beep and flash red. However, when it press SET button again to set neutral position nothing happens (I should hear a beep and see a green flash). Does anyone have experience with this?
I checked the wiring, changed batteries (in “normal” startup the batteries are correctly recognised) and made sure my transmitter settings / parameters are on their default value (e.g. throttle control).

Just gave it another try and noticed when I turned on the ESC (normal, so not trying to go into calibration) I don’t have fans turning on anymore and no throttle or steering available. Tried to rebind the transmitter but also no sign of life (bind LED doesn’t start to blink). I only hear the 3(s) beeps for battery check and then the leds keep flashing red, I ruled out LVC with two new batteries. Could it be the ESC is defect?

Last edited:
My apology if this has already been asked (I did search) but I’m having trouble with my Hobbywing EZRUN MAX10 SCT on my Granite BLX. I’m trying to (re)calibrate my ESC following the steps from the instruction manual. I start by turning on the transmitter with the ESC turned off but connected to a battery. I hold the SET button and press the ON/OFF button, the RED LED on the ESC starts to flash, and then release the SET button immediately. The ESC seems to be going into calibration mode as the ESC start to continuously beep and flash red. However, when it press SET button again to set neutral position nothing happens (I should hear a beep and see a green flash). Does anyone have experience with this?
I checked the wiring, changed batteries (in “normal” startup the batteries are correctly recognised) and made sure my transmitter settings / parameters are on their default value (e.g. throttle control).

Just gave it another try and noticed when I turned on the ESC (normal, so not trying to go into calibration) I don’t have fans turning on anymore and no throttle or steering available. Tried to rebind the transmitter but also no sign of life (bind LED doesn’t start to blink). I only hear the 3(s) beeps for battery check and then the leds keep flashing red, I ruled out LVC with two new batteries. Could it be the ESC is defect?
I have a BLX100 that does the exact same thing. Horizon replaced it with a 120a 4S Firma and now it just sits in a box. A real shame, I hope someone knows how to get it going!

I have a BLX100 that does the exact same thing. Horizon replaced it with a 120a 4S Firma and now it just sits in a box. A real shame, I hope someone knows how to get it going!
I think it’s my Spektrum SLT3 3-Channel Transmitter that is dead, the other stuff might also be broken but will try to replace the transmitter first.

Hi guys, been a while. Cars been great till today, I've been running it in the beach as usual with no issues till now. The car suddenly stops, but there are no warning noises or lights. Still have servo steering but no power. However, if I switch off then on, the problem is resolved. It keeps happening maybe 2-3 times per pack, these packs are new, there is no overheating, motor seems good and there is no sticking or uncommon noises. Any ideas?

@Alfadiablo what is the blink code on the ESC? That will tell you overheat or overcurrent or something else.
No code = bad ESC.
My money would be on ESC overheat, as you have to cycle power to get back to normal.

There is no code on the ESC, I'll throw some street tyres on it and try it on tarmac and dirt, I'll see what happens and report. Worse case scenario I'll order a new ESC

No blinking lights? No green or red solid? Even that helps narrow it down. Should be solid red just like at power on.

Check your ESC wire going to the receiver and also the one going to the fan. A short or bad connection could cause the ESC to act weird.

I have a BLX100 with a dead fan. Was looking to replace it with a 25mm Rocket fan, but they appear to a have a different connector on them. I think JST is what the stock fan uses and I’m not sure if the connector on the 25mm rocket fans would fit into the pin area on the ESC. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks!

Back