BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else had any issues with the Big Rock 3s? My husband just went out with our Big Rock and as soon as he flipped it on, it didn't want to do anything. He took it out yesterday morning for a spin in the fresh snow (after properly waterproofing ofc) but now we're trying to find the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
If everyone researched these before buying you would loose 99.9 percent of buyers. I love mine but if I saw these issues before buying I would be afraid and pass. Good thing I love working on them and I saved $60 buying second hand so I don't mind replacing every bearing in the vehicle including the motor. I understand the servo mat blow up but I can get a chineseium one for $5 metal gear digital. And factory is analog lol. About to order a full vehicle bearing kit... Good luck btw call customer service I hear they are wonderful and will give you free stuff.

If everyone researched these before buying you would loose 99.9 percent of buyers. I love mine but if I saw these issues before buying I would be afraid and pass. Good thing I love working on them and I saved $60 buying second hand so I don't mind replacing every bearing in the vehicle including the motor. I understand the servo mat blow up but I can get a chineseium one for $5 metal gear digital. And factory is analog lol. About to order a full vehicle bearing kit... Good luck btw call customer service I hear they are wonderful and will give you free stuff.
Absolutely no problem getting ahold of customer service and them taking care of the issue. I gotta hand it to them, they definitely make things right and don't even question the problem. We will continue to be a paying customer with service like this. 🤗

I'm ordering a full bearing kit and replacing all bearings. Went to replace rear diff input gear today and one bearing was seized on the shaft and it blew up when I tried to get it off. Now I'm without a rc :( time to order a full bearing kit.

I'm ordering a full bearing kit and replacing all bearings. Went to replace rear diff input gear today and one bearing was seized on the shaft and it blew up when I tried to get it off. Now I'm without a rc :( time to order a full bearing kit.
That really sucks, but can't say I don't understand. We've replaced and/or upgraded most everything possible so far on our big rock. And I still cringe every time it hits something hard. I can hear the "cachinggggg" sound in my head wondering what damage was done to it. I believe the body is the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet. I hope you get yours on the ground soon. It sucks not having it to play with.

Had the same on my granite v3 today albeit the bearing was stuck on the slipper shaft. Bearing was properly stuck on and in a sorry ole mess. Car now on the shelf waiting for new bearings.

Crossing my fingers that doesn't happen to the big rock, sometimes I feel like we're fixing it more than we are driving it. But thats the chance we all take. 😬

Was worried about taking the motor bearing out after reading on here that it's difficult and watching the hobby shop guy do my buddy's and he heated it up.. I got it out without heating after watching some youtube.

Has anyone else had five green flashes repeating on the esc? My blx120 has been acting up. It started after driving in the snow. It would just twitch and jerk forward when I gave it throttle.

I tested it with the motor removed from the car, and the motor twitches whenever I give it a quick stab of the throttle. Then eventually the esc flashes green five times with no response to throttle. I can get the motor to spin smoothly for a while if I very gently increase throttle.

Hi guys.

2 things:

- Kraton v4 BLX with flysky gt5
- Mojave exb max6 1650kv with dumbo

Some help please... having issues with throttle and break cutting in and our of power.

It is very intermittent, sometimes it is okey but most of the time it isn't.

Either on the throttle and try to break there is nothing which can be dangerous, or go on the throttle and it keeps cutting in and out of power... every second or 2.

I have done esc reset and reset throttle end points in both cars.

Secondly, what shock upgrades are there for the exb? Oil or spring change? I have a heavy rig and it had already ruined the rear shocks once.

Video shows cutting in and out of power...

Thanks for any help

My new Granite BLX 3S is experiencing pretty much the same symptoms. First I thought he ESC was set for the wrong battery as I have a 3S 50C battery so I checked the settings per the manual (Twice) and unless I am doing it wrong, it is set for a Lipo battery. The truck runs strong for a few minutes then starts get to get jittery on initial acceleration and then just quits. Steering remains functional, ESC fan stays running and I don’t recall any ESC Lights being on. Turn if off and back on again and it’s good for a couple of more minutes. I’ve only had it out three times and the last time I quit with the battery still at a 50% plus charge according to Spektrum smart charger. Going to call Arrma tech support tomorrow if I find the time. I guess on the bright side it hasn’t caught on fire! I’m a little bummed about this as it’s my first RC truck...
I know this message is over a year old however. My V3 Granite started doing the very same thing after being in the snow a few weeks ago. Finally had time that I could call Arrma during their business hours. Waited on hold a wile then chose to have them call me back. Got a return call and the gentlemen was very helpful. Sent back an email with all the things they asked for now to wait and see what they have to say. I Know I have lots of warranty left yet but I am considering if it does it again to just ditch the BLX100 and get a Hobbywing Max10 SCT combo with the same spec motor.

Has anyone been able to up grade the ESC/motor combo and pay the cost difference from a warranty issue. My ESC is on back order and would rather upgrade to a high output motor and ESC then wait a month for components to be in stock again.

Has anyone been able to up grade the ESC/motor combo and pay the cost difference from a warranty issue. My ESC is on back order and would rather upgrade to a high output motor and ESC then wait a month for components to be in stock again.
Never heard of that as a warranty option as you will pay out of pocket...

IMHO, there is no way to make a rig 100% WP. So don't rule out water damage being the issue so fast.
Any flashing lights on the ESC?
What color?
I have heard HH doing that with a RTR radio under Warranty.( also on B/O) Another member here some time ago. They gave a credit toward an upgrade radio. Also offered a Servo upgrade for another member. (also on B/O)
This is rare however IMHO. You can always ask. It's obviously a case by case basis. It does benefit HH to upgrade you. So if the credit $$ is good for you, roll with it. Just need to be specific about what YOU want as the upgrade. You are still paying something. For instance when some guys were Calling HH for an STX2 Radio warranty, HH was offering an STX3 model instead. But it also had the same issues. Only difference was it has 3 channels and a rubber grip wheel vs the STX2 with 2 channels and a hard plastic wheel. . So the STX 3 was NO deal at all in that case. You need to research ahead before asking. They can be uick to offer something that is of lesser grade. They offered me a lower grade NON WP servo for my Axial. Stock servo crapped out under 2 year warranty also. Was on B/O. I said no thankyou. and waited for the OE stocker. But just got an upgrsde servo on my own right away. Elsewhere.
:cool:

Last edited:
IMHO, there is no way to make a rig 100% WP. So don't rule out water damage being the issue so fast.
Any flashing lights on the ESC?
What color?

I have heard HH doing that with a RTR radio under Warranty.( also on B/O) Another member here some time ago. They gave a credit toward an upgrade radio. Also offered a Servo upgrade for another member. (also on B/O)
This is rare however IMHO. You can always ask. It's obviously a case by case basis. It does benefit HH to upgrade you. So if the credit $$ is good for you, roll with it. Just need to be specific about what YOU want as the upgrade. You are still paying something. For instance when some guys were Calling HH for an STX2 Radio warranty, HH was offering an STX3 model instead. But it also had the same issues. Only difference was it has 3 channels and a rubber grip wheel vs the STX2 with 2 channels and a hard plastic wheel. . So the STX 3 was NO deal at all in that case. You need to research ahead before asking. They can be uick to offer something that is of lesser grade. They offered me a lower grade NON WP servo for my Axial. Stock servo crapped out under 2 year warranty also. Was on B/O. I said no thankyou. and waited for the OE stocker. But just got an upgrsde servo on my own right away. Elsewhere.
:cool:
Understand thanks.

I had to call for a failed replacement BLX100. The second tech agreed to send me a BLX120 since the 100 was backordered. Wound up getting the Firma Smart 120 ESC. Not sure it was that much of an upgrade. 4S is nice although the extra battery lead is a pain in my 3S BRCC. It's smart, but I doubt I'll use the telemetry. It works, so I'm happy!

Being new to the hobby this is quite deflating. My Granite 3s is 2 weeks old. After week 1 I lost reverse. Using the manual to troubleshoot I came to conclusion I needed a new ESC. Being new and excited I ordered a new blx100. Realizing this is a warranty issue I contacted HH. New ESC on back order but they are replacing. The ESC I ordered arrived 2 days ago and lasted 10 minutes before no reverse then no throttle.
I came here looking for what else could be the problem, to find pages and pages of ESC issues. I am $500 plus down this rabbit hole. Guess I should not have been so quick to start changing things before knowing if the r/c works as advertised. Wasn’t trying to be an electronic tech, just have some fun.
Color me disappointed

Being new to the hobby this is quite deflating. My Granite 3s is 2 weeks old. After week 1 I lost reverse. Using the manual to troubleshoot I came to conclusion I needed a new ESC. Being new and excited I ordered a new blx100. Realizing this is a warranty issue I contacted HH. New ESC on back order but they are replacing. The ESC I ordered arrived 2 days ago and lasted 10 minutes before no reverse then no throttle.
I came here looking for what else could be the problem, to find pages and pages of ESC issues. I am $500 plus down this rabbit hole. Guess I should not have been so quick to start changing things before knowing if the r/c works as advertised. Wasn’t trying to be an electronic tech, just have some fun.
Color me disappointed
If you have steering and power to the fans, not all is lost. Center the TH knob and calibrate the ESC. Are you getting flashing LEDs as well? Good luck, let us know!

Color me disappointed
I would caution you on jumping to the conclusion that the ESC is bad. Same issue, same part? Maybe a short somewhere else causing the issue such as at the receiver. I have 2 BLX 100s bought in Feb and Mar and both so far have no issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back