BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone had this issue?
2019 notorious 10 packs old, last 3 packs it has randomly shut off throttle mid run and wont go, steering still works, green flashing light on esc. I flick it off/On and then it's fine again...

Anyone had this issue?
2019 notorious 10 packs old, last 3 packs it has randomly shut off throttle mid run and wont go, steering still works, green flashing light on esc. I flick it off/On and then it's fine again...
Thermal.

Have you reset the ESC? Some have said it’s stuck in programming mode. Try to enter programming mode and switch battery type to NiMH and save. Then go back and switch back to lipo mode and save.

Thanks will try that. Odd that it's perfectly fine then it happens, and a simple on off fixes it though

Long thread to read but perhaps someone can help. BLX185 shut off towards the end of my 10th pack (total runs in a month). I’ve experienced a few glitches before when it would shut down and not respond and then just start running again (not thermal just 2 min in to run time) now it shut off and i have no fan, no steering and the red light is flashing i changed batteries and checked all connections.. when i turn it on the light is green then red then flashing red.. any ideas?

Long thread to read but perhaps someone can help. BLX185 shut off towards the end of my 10th pack (total runs in a month). I’ve experienced a few glitches before when it would shut down and not respond and then just start running again (not thermal just 2 min in to run time) now it shut off and i have no fan, no steering and the red light is flashing i changed batteries and checked all connections.. when i turn it on the light is green then red then flashing red.. any ideas?
Sounds like you have some internal damage. Whether it’s caused by water or manufacturing error I’m not sure, but I’d give arrma themselves a call... or whoever runs the support (I forget). They’re pretty cheap escs so they have no problem replacing them free of charge.

Sounds like you have some internal damage. Whether it’s caused by water or manufacturing error I’m not sure, but I’d give arrma themselves a call... or whoever runs the support (I forget). They’re pretty cheap escs so they have no problem replacing them free of charge.
Yea thanks.. figured the ESC took a dump.. no fan or power to the receiver was the main giveaway.. funny it does go into program mode though

Yea thanks.. figured the ESC took a dump.. no fan or power to the receiver was the main giveaway.. funny it does go into program mode though
Actually that’s what gave me the red flag. Many escs get stuck in programming mode when there is circuit damage. Sometimes, for Traxxas escs, it’s caused by a stuck on/off button. With castle and hobbywing, it’s usually a bad esc. My mamba monster extreme just dumped last night. I’m going to try and repair it though.

Actually that’s what gave me the red flag. Many escs get stuck in programming mode when there is circuit damage. Sometimes, for Traxxas escs, it’s caused by a stuck on/off button. With castle and hobbywing, it’s usually a bad esc. My mamba monster extreme just dumped last night. I’m going to try and repair it though.
Well installed new ESC.. Futaba receiver came unbound and couldn’t rebind it maybe it’s fried too.. installed factory receiver and my savox 1230 isn’t responding either.. stock servo works.. is it possible that the ESC fried everything?? Seems weird..

Well installed new ESC.. Futaba receiver came unbound and maybe fried couldn’t rebind it.. installed factory receiver and my savox 1230 isn’t responding either.. stock servo works.. is it possible that the ESC fried everything?? Seems weird..
It is quite possible for the internal BEC to go out and fry the whole electrical system of the truck :(. I hope this isn’t the case... try a known good esc that is in another truck and plug it into your notorious. I’ve actually had a major failure with a traxxas esc that fried all my systems. And people wonder why I swap out those units ?. I don’t hear of arrma/ 8BL150 escs doing it though so hopefully it’s just something small...

It is quite possible for the internal BEC to go out and fry the whole electrical system of the truck :(. I hope this isn’t the case... try a known good esc that is in another truck and plug it into your notorious. I’ve actually had a major failure with a traxxas esc that fried all my systems. And people wonder why I swap out those units ?. I don’t hear of arrma/ 8BL150 escs doing it though so hopefully it’s just something small...
Well maybe it’s possible then.. i was using Traxxas batteries (25c). I know the BLX requires a minimum of 35c perhaps the BEC was overcompensating for the lack of juice and.. ..blammo. My LHS told me that the 25c was fine.. that actually most batteries ‘c’ ratings are ‘no where near as advertised’ and that Traxxas 25c was a true 25c and would be fine in the BLX system because they can run the big Traxxas 1/8 scale and xMaxx trucks.. needless to say I’m going there tomorrow.. and battery shopping is next on my list

Well maybe it’s possible then.. i was using Traxxas batteries (25c). I know the BLX requires a minimum of 35c perhaps the BEC was overcompensating for the lack of juice and.. ..blammo. My LHS told me that the 25c was fine.. that actually most batteries ‘c’ ratings are ‘no where near as advertised’ and that Traxxas 25c was a true 25c and would be fine in the BLX system because they can run the big Traxxas 1/8 scale and xMaxx trucks.. needless to say I’m going there tomorrow.. and battery shopping is next on my list
25c is just fine imo. I mean my e revo has bursts of over 180 amps when I got to borrow a friend’s MMX. And that uses those batteries you listed. However... let’s be real here, arrma specifically says to use over 35c, and the blx185 isn’t really a high quality esc, so it’s probably affected pretty badly by low c ratings in batteries. Would if have killed the BEC? I really don’t know. I run 45c in my senton for that reason.

25c is just fine imo. I mean my e revo has bursts of over 180 amps when I got to borrow a friend’s MMX. And that uses those batteries you listed. However... let’s be real here, arrma specifically says to use over 35c, and the blx185 isn’t really a high quality esc, so it’s probably affected pretty badly by low c ratings in batteries. Would if have killed the BEC? I really don’t know. I run 45c in my senton for that reason.
Thanks for the input.. it helps to be informed. Im honestly afraid to run the Traxxas batteries again after this mishap.. whether it was the lower C rating or not I’ll never really know. I’ll just run the recommended discharge rate from now on. It’s a shame too, i have a bunch of Traxxas batteries...

I’m new at this.. well revisiting this hobby after 20+yrs (RC10, Hornet) wow things have changed.. but it’s just as fun as before.. just bought an outcast today.. it’s only been 6 weeks back and i have. 3RCs already..

Thanks for the input.. it helps to be informed. Im honestly afraid to run the Traxxas batteries again after this mishap.. whether it was the lower C rating or not I’ll never really know. I’ll just run the recommended discharge rate from now on. It’s a shame too, i have a bunch of Traxxas batteries...

I’m new at this.. well revisiting this hobby after 20+yrs (RC10, Hornet) wow things have changed.. but it’s just as fun as before.. just bought an outcast today.. it’s only been 6 weeks back and i have. 3RCs already..
I don’t blame you at all for not wanting to run traxxas batteries after an experience like that. SMC makes good batteries for the c rating and quality you’re looking for, at a cheap price- with some warranty. I’d hook up a known good esc and go from there.

Good luck.

Mines still doing the green flashing light randomly, seems to be getting worse.
I've contacted the distributer i got it from here in Australia and he's asked me to send the esc and motor in to him to look at. Was kinda just hoping to be sent a replacement considering what they are worth.. not alot.

Mines still doing the green flashing light randomly, seems to be getting worse.
I've contacted the distributer i got it from here in Australia and he's asked me to send the esc and motor in to him to look at. Was kinda just hoping to be sent a replacement considering what they are worth.. not alot.
Can you call or Email Arrma/Horizon and deal with them direct?? Very responsive and good to deal with.. I emailed their tech support about glitchy throttle response and (i thought it was the transmitter) 3 days later an ESC was at my door.. two weeks later my esc crapped out..

I did try, and being in oz they told me to deal with someone over here unfortunately .

Any clever solutions to prevent rocks from getting stuck in the esc fan that don't involve putting one of those lingerie-bag-looking-things over the whole chassis? Thinking about just cutting a square of screen and rigging it in place somehow....

Any clever solutions to prevent rocks from getting stuck in the esc fan that don't involve putting one of those lingerie-bag-looking-things over the whole chassis? Thinking about just cutting a square of screen and rigging it in place somehow....
Just put a piece of screen over the fan guard. Use a few dabs of hot glue to secure it on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back