BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any clever solutions to prevent rocks from getting stuck in the esc fan that don't involve putting one of those lingerie-bag-looking-things over the whole chassis? Thinking about just cutting a square of screen and rigging it in place somehow....

This

20191015_172351.jpg

I've seen a number of posts on this forum asking and talking about various issues that they experience with the BLX ESC that is installed on a few different Arrma models. The intention of this thread is to gather those random posts into a singular thread to assist future readers with determining the potential problem that they are experiencing.

Fellow members, if you have had an issue with your ESC and have determined the solution, please add a detailed description of your problem, troubleshooting steps, and ultimate resolution. @WoodiE or @Unusual RC, if we get enough different use cases, we may want to make this a sticky.

Here is an overview of my personal experience that I had with ESC issues:

Model: Arrma Talion BLX 6S BLX

Age of model when problems started: <1 month / <2 hours' runtime

Type of driving: In snow, no bashing

Type of battery being used: LiPo 4S

Description of problem:

Initially, the Arrma Talion would stop in the middle of a run, the motor would stop and twitch for a very brief moment, the ESC would beep twice, then the motor would usually start working again. Over the next few runs within 24 hours from the initial issue, the problem occurred more and more frequently. Finally, the Talion simply stopped working. The blue LED would flash four times, pause, and then repeat the cycle (blue light is supposed to indicate low voltage). No motor twitch and no beeps. Note that during the whole process the radio and steering servo were working as expected.

Troubleshooting steps:
  • Swapped out four different LiPo batteries
  • Tested each LiPo with a voltage meter to ensure that they were charged
  • Checked connections, especially the T connections
  • Dried and cleaned all areas by the motor and ESC
  • Tossed the Talion onto it's haunches from 5 feet up (this actually worked a few times when it was still occasionally working - apparently, the jolt was doing something)
  • Let it sit overnight in a dry, warm space
  • Got upset and threatened the Talion that if it didn't work right, I would leave it out in the blistering cold overnight (yeah, that didn't work)
Actions taken:
  • Post-troubleshooting - called Arrma Customer Support, explained the issue, and they requested that I detach and send both the ESC and motor for diagnosis and fill out their form to describe the issue again.
    • I shipped both devices to Hobby Services (with a completed form) and it arrived there on January 4th, 2016
Ultimate resolution:
  • I received a replacement ESC and motor on January 13th, 2016 with the following notes:
    • ESC was found to have programming issues and has been replaced
    • Motor was making screeching sounds and has been replaced
Additional notes and/or recommendations:

I had no idea that the motor was making "screeching" sounds, so I'm quite glad that I sent in both devices. Also, even in the middle of their busiest time, they were still able to turn around the warranty service in one week (excluding shipping time) - that's pretty incredible!

Tips for other users:
  • Check the battery in the car/truck first - make sure that's not the problem
  • Check the wires and connections from the battery to the ESC to the motor - make sure that they're secure
  • Note if the ESC's blue light is flashing. If this is the case and you have validated your batteries and connection are not the issue, you may need to call Arrma Support.
You should add water in the wheels as a possible issue. I found on mine that the unbalanced tires from water weight was drawing a lot more power and killing the battery quickly. Might be worth adding since your post was one of the several I checked looking for answers and didn’t even think of the wheels being out of balance that bad. It sent the esc into a possible low voltage mode that cause the red light to blink slowly.

You should add water in the wheels as a possible issue. I found on mine that the unbalanced tires from water weight was drawing a lot more power and killing the battery quickly. Might be worth adding since your post was one of the several I checked looking for answers and didn’t even think of the wheels being out of balance that bad. It sent the esc into a possible low voltage mode that cause the red light to blink slowly.
This is a great point. ??????

I've seen a number of posts on this forum asking and talking about various issues that they experience with the BLX ESC that is installed on a few different Arrma models. The intention of this thread is to gather those random posts into a singular thread to assist future readers with determining the potential problem that they are experiencing.

Fellow members, if you have had an issue with your ESC and have determined the solution, please add a detailed description of your problem, troubleshooting steps, and ultimate resolution. @WoodiE or @Unusual RC, if we get enough different use cases, we may want to make this a sticky.

Description of problem:

Initially, the Arrma Talion would stop in the middle of a run, the motor would stop and twitch for a very brief moment, the ESC would beep twice, then the motor would usually start working again. Over the next few runs within 24 hours from the initial issue, the problem occurred more and more frequently. Finally, the Talion simply stopped working. The blue LED would flash four times, pause, and then repeat the cycle (blue light is supposed to indicate low voltage). No motor twitch and no beeps. Note that during the whole process the radio and steering servo were working as expected.

Troubleshooting steps:
  • Tossed the Talion onto it's haunches from 5 feet up (this actually worked a few times when it was still occasionally working - apparently, the jolt was doing something)
  • Got upset and threatened the Talion that if it didn't work right, I would leave it out in the blistering cold overnight (yeah, that didn't work)
Actions taken:
  • Post-troubleshooting - called Arrma Customer Support, explained the issue, and they requested that I detach and send both the ESC and motor for diagnosis and fill out their form to describe the issue again.
    • I shipped both devices to Hobby Services (with a completed form) and it arrived there on January 4th, 2016
Ultimate resolution:
  • I received a replacement ESC and motor on January 13th, 2016 with the following notes:

I had no idea that the motor was making "screeching" sounds, so I'm quite glad that I sent in both devices. Also, even in the middle of their busiest time, they were still able to turn around the warranty service in one week (excluding shipping time) - that's pretty incredible!

Tips for other users:
  • Check the wires and connections from the battery to the ESC to the motor - make sure that they're secure
  • Note if the ESC's blue light is flashing. If this is the case and you have validated your batteries and connection are not the issue, you m

Description of problem:

Troubleshooting steps:
Actions taken:
Ultimate resolution:

Tips for other users:
  • Note if the ESC's blue light is flashing. If this is the case and you have validated your batteries and connection are not the issue, you may need to call Arrma Support.

My new Granite BLX 3S is experiencing pretty much the same symptoms. First I thought he ESC was set for the wrong battery as I have a 3S 50C battery so I checked the settings per the manual (Twice) and unless I am doing it wrong, it is set for a Lipo battery. The truck runs strong for a few minutes then starts get to get jittery on initial acceleration and then just quits. Steering remains functional, ESC fan stays running and I don’t recall any ESC Lights being on. Turn if off and back on again and it’s good for a couple of more minutes. I’ve only had it out three times and the last time I quit with the battery still at a 50% plus charge according to Spektrum smart charger. Going to call Arrma tech support tomorrow if I find the time. I guess on the bright side it hasn’t caught on fire! I’m a little bummed about this as it’s my first RC truck...

My new Granite BLX 3S is experiencing pretty much the same symptoms. First I thought he ESC was set for the wrong battery as I have a 3S 50C battery so I checked the settings per the manual (Twice) and unless I am doing it wrong, it is set for a Lipo battery. The truck runs strong for a few minutes then starts get to get jittery on initial acceleration and then just quits. Steering remains functional, ESC fan stays running and I don’t recall any ESC Lights being on. Turn if off and back on again and it’s good for a couple of more minutes. I’ve only had it out three times and the last time I quit with the battery still at a 50% plus charge according to Spektrum smart charger. Going to call Arrma tech support tomorrow if I find the time. I guess on the bright side it hasn’t caught on fire! I’m a little bummed about this as it’s my first RC truck...
I cant tell you how much taking any and all pics and videos of what you just explained and having them on your phone as well as the technical names of the parts & part #s that are at all part of the problems you are experiencing. I say on your phone simply because if your speaking to them (whether choosing to wait on hold for awhile or choose to have them call you back once your turn comes up) you can let them know you have evidence/examples of what your hooing yo explain and the actual part names and #s to refer to when doing so. I was dealing with HH witha si.imiar issue recently as well as ac nother 2nd issue with a seperate rig and they not only replaced my electronics in the end under warranty but both HH phone support employees were so grateful and thanked me many times for being thorough in my explanations by backing things up with pics/vids so that they could quickly confirm the issue was in my case not repairable and than emailed them the part numbers along with it which got the warranted electronics processed, sent out and at my doorstep in less than a week for sure. Horizon seems to have incredible phone service/support atleast from my own experience and a long list of arrma owners that have taken similar steps to provide them with the info to do you right...if so they seem to always come through. Its relieving to know that the brand in which I've spent tons of money investing in has my back and is looki g to do whatever they can to assist me as well as appreciate their consumers which I find to be extremely rare these days in general. Hope it works out for you.

What mah battery are you running?

I have a Spektrum smart 5000 mAh 50C 3S battery and Spektrum smart charger to charge it.
That battery might only get you 20 minutes of drive time, but to protect the battery, it usually won’t drop much below 50%. Mine only goes down to 40% before it shuts off. The esc slowly flashes red when there isn’t enough power. When the battery is charged, make sure all your cells are charged to or close to 4.2 volts.

That battery might only get you 20 minutes of drive time, but to protect the battery, it usually won’t drop much below 50%. Mine only goes down to 40% before it shuts off. The esc slowly flashes red when there isn’t enough power. When the battery is charged, make sure all your cells are charged to or close to 4.2 volts.
Thanks for the info, I will time the run time next time out. I believe it quit in less than ten minutes, but I really need to time the run time. The second time out I was able to keep running by cycling the ESC off and back on again doing this three times with similar run times after each cycle with a total combined run time of approximately twenty plus minutes. That time the charger indicated the remaining charge was a bit more than 25%. I guess I should get the battery checker as well as the smart charger to keep better tabs on its health.

hmmm my kraton v4 randomly turned itself off or stopped mid run as well today might just be high temps turned back on and seemed fine hoping not esc related and just temps I did upgrade to extra pinion came with car / glitch buster / power hd 25kg servo and got yeah racing heat sink / dual fans running :cautious:.

Thanks for the info, I will time the run time next time out. I believe it quit in less than ten minutes, but I really need to time the run time. The second time out I was able to keep running by cycling the ESC off and back on again doing this three times with similar run times after each cycle with a total combined run time of approximately twenty plus minutes. That time the charger indicated the remaining charge was a bit more than 25%. I guess I should get the battery checker as well as the smart charger to keep better tabs on its health.
The battery shouldn’t be running down that low. You really only want to get it down to 40% before recharging. It does that to protect the battery. Did you see my previous post? Are you running in wet environments? Or do you have water in the tires? It sounds like you are overloading the battery with whatever you are running. If not, then the esc would seem faulty. If it’s slowly flashing red when you turn it off and in again, then it’s your battery not providing enough output.
double check to make sure your settings are for your lipo battery by holding the esc when you power it on. When it beeps once, click the esc, then make sure it Beeps once for lipo.
If all this fails, take your battery in to make sure it’s in good shape if you can’t see it on your one charger. Make sure voltage is at 4.2 per cell when it’s charged.

The battery shouldn’t be running down that low. You really only want to get it down to 40% before recharging. It does that to protect the battery. Did you see my previous post? Are you running in wet environments? Or do you have water in the tires? It sounds like you are overloading the battery with whatever you are running. If not, then the esc would seem faulty. If it’s slowly flashing red when you turn it off and in again, then it’s your battery not providing enough output.
double check to make sure your settings are for your lipo battery by holding the esc when you power it on. When it beeps once, click the esc, then make sure it Beeps once for lipo.
If all this fails, take your battery in to make sure it’s in good shape if you can’t see it on your one charger. Make sure voltage is at 4.2 per cell when it’s charged.
Thank you for the info... Haven’t had a chance to take it out again yet, but only once did I see the charge down to 25+%. Every other time it’s been 50 to 75% before recharging. The trucks only been run in dry conditions on a grass lawn and dry pavement. I’ve checked the ESC settings a couple of times like you mentioned and it’s one and one beep as instructed in the book. The truck and battery are new and don’t have a few runs on them. I don’t recall any lights on the ESC prior to shutting off. I am going to double check the ESC setting again and pay close attention for any lights flashing the next time out.

Thank you for the info... Haven’t had a chance to take it out again yet, but only once did I see the charge down to 25+%. Every other time it’s been 50 to 75% before recharging. The trucks only been run in dry conditions on a grass lawn and dry pavement. I’ve checked the ESC settings a couple of times like you mentioned and it’s one and one beep as instructed in the book. The truck and battery are new and don’t have a few runs on them. I don’t recall any lights on the ESC prior to shutting off. I am going to double check the ESC setting again and pay close attention for any lights flashing the next time out.
Yeah it’s frustrating they don’t give the troubleshooting information for “if” the esc is lighting up. But either way, let me know what you find out.

Yeah it’s frustrating they don’t give the troubleshooting information for “if” the esc is lighting up. But either way, let me know what you find out.
I emailed Arrma product support and explained what happening. They replied saying that they thought the esc was defective and no questions asked, they’re sending me a new one under warranty. So... Hats off to them for being so cooperative! They could have had instructed additional troubleshooting and give me the run around, but did not.

I emailed Arrma product support and explained what happening. They replied saying that they thought the esc was defective and no questions asked, they’re sending me a new one under warranty. So... Hats off to them for being so cooperative! They could have had instructed additional troubleshooting and give me the run around, but did not.
Update... Horizon Hobby sent me a new ESC, swapped it out, made the appropriate settings and gave it a try. Runs like a scalded dog, much more power (Didn’t think it needed more!) and wheelies all the time with the controller set for 75% power, even in the grass, at 100% power and it just flips over in an instant on pavement, crisper throttle response and best of all, no random low voltage cut outs. Ran the truck close to twenty minutes straight (wore the dog slap out chasing it)... Definitely pleased with the warranty and customer support!

Outcast 6s 2019

Broke teeth off of both main diff gears a few min into the first run with the car. When I get it home I find the ESC isn’t responding. Call Horizon explain that it’s not responding with nothing but a solid green light and they send me out a new ESC. Have owned the rig for like 5 months now and has had limited runs because i don’t have a ton of time plus the car has spent a lot of time out of commission with all the issues I’ve had and it just blew the motor, blew out the wrap around the magnets and shattered two of the magnets. Horizon is sending me a new one. Is this all normal for these bigger vehicles? Been way rougher on a few 1/10 and smaller vehicles and never had any electronics go out except for servos.

Attachments

• 0D3AA5DC-95E0-49F3-9AA7-D921058CC0B3.jpeg
    0D3AA5DC-95E0-49F3-9AA7-D921058CC0B3.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 45
I WAS about to get a senton but man these ESC problems are kind of off putting- how can they sell these cars knowing this is a problem?

I WAS about to get a senton but man these ESC problems are kind of off putting- how can they sell these cars knowing this is a problem?
This is a recent issue and all new users as far as I can tell. I don’t see any long standing members having these issues. ??‍♂️

They don't really have esc issues. The blx100 is a recent bad batch they once had other issues but they have been figured out. Just like they are with this. Rumor has it they are swapping them for the blx120

They don't really have esc issues. The blx100 is a recent bad batch they once had other issues but they have been figured out. Just like they are with this. Rumor has it they are swapping them for the blx120
Do we know any of these guys with issues tho ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back