BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add one more fried ESC to the list

Senton, on the 3RD BATTERY PACK. I have only been running 6S Lectron Pro 5200mah 50c lipos

Fron day one, low voltage would trigger at around 3.8v per cell, and today it just crapped out totally. When you turn it on, it will beep once and no lights. Super disappointed, I ran it just long enough to fall in love.... now I won't be able to run it for WEEKS and it's basically brand spankin new!

Sorry to hear that man!
Contact arrma asap and they will take care of you.
But like you said...it takes some time before the car is up and running again.

Yea, it stinks, and I hope the 185 isn't the same way if that ends up being the replacement.

I think I will get another esc and hve the replacement as a spare.

Can anyone confirm for me, the BLX 185, every site i look at says it's 150A, down from the BLX 180's 180A. Is this a typo?

Nope, not from what I understand. Just before I bought my Arrma Talion, I contacted them and their parent company, both in writing, asking about the BLX185, and they all said they had no knowledge of a new ESC being released (they had to sell the remaining vehicles with the BLX180)... so I bought it after a month or 2 teying to decide, and a week or 2 later the "new" (detuned) BLX 185 was out with 150 amp limit in the Kraton. Quickest (and cheapest) way to resolve their Speed Controls blowing up is to limit the Amps through them. The ESC on the Nero is a 150 too, although they call it the BLX 200. So I plan to pull my Tekin RX8 (210 Amps) from my Slash 4x4 and run that in my Talion when my ESC goes. Adding a higher number to Arrma's ESC sure makes it sound more brute, though. They did do the right thing by swapping out the connectors, though... fake Dean's plugs aren't meant to handle that high of amperage continuously. Although they said if your BLX180 blows, it would be replaced with the same unit. I love Arrma's vehicles, but they flat lied when they said a new ESC wasn't coming out, even though Tower showed the BLX 180 discontinued for a month or 2, and the BLX 185 waiting for arrival. Tower is under the same company umbrella (and a great site) and would have the inside knowledge early.

Last edited:
Limiting the power or not, the new version is 100% a faster unit. No doubt about it.

It's simply a Hobbywing quicrun 150a esc. I don't think they detuned the esc, they went with a new esc all together. Also, a larger motor.

The BLX180 has had a notably high rate of problems, and quite simply is nowhere as good as the BLX185. The BLX185 is a "re-branded" Hobbywing Quickrun 150A as @kennay said, its a much better ESC, combined with the more powerful BLX185 motor it is a noteworthy upgrade over the prior combo.

I would agree with others, if you purchased a rig in the month or two before they started selling with the BLX185 combos I would be disappointed and would make every effort to have ARRMA wty swap them out, as it appears they have been doing.

Limiting the power or not, the new version is 100% a faster unit. No doubt about it.

It's simply a Hobbywing quicrun 150a esc. I don't think they detuned the esc, they went with a new esc all together. Also, a larger motor.
I have an Arrma Nero 6s BLX that I just got 7/14 I like the truck but having alot of problems ESC or the motor. One day of driving next.

Attachments

• 1469405592490-257143502.jpg
    1469405592490-257143502.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 60
I just recieve my replacement blx 200. I cannot program throttle. esc doesn't show lights in any type of order instructions show. Are these junk? Should I purchase hobbywing max8?
Kinda pissed. Big Rock has been down longer than it's been running.

Here is one more bad (actually two) ESC units with my Granite BLX. Bought mine from Tower 3 years ago for $350.00
What is a solid ESC compatible with this truck and a 11.1v 3s 4000mah Li Po battery? The first ESC was crap after 5 months, but they first changed out two batteries thinking it was bad cells! What great wheelie inducing acceleration (when it ran, which is rare)
The 2nd one died after a half hour more of use, specifically it was studdering with 3 different good NiMH batteries off the line, and then I got a 11.1v Lipo 3s battery for it and it ran amazing for a whole minute, then started sputtering and then purple smoke and a fried ESC and DONE!!
Fortunately RC trucking is a half hour a year hobby for me, so I have been shelving it but it is annoying to know that ARRMA doesn't care if they send out products that are defective!

Last edited:
Problem. after calibration the ESC(blx200) beeps only twice and 4 times. . Running 2× 2s graphane 6000mah 90c battery. They are new first cycle..my nnero is not that fast if I hold the Nero in the air and give full throttle no ballooning.speed seems low..what do you think ?

Last edited:
With the car lifted in the air you have less force on the drivetrain than on the ground.
Reset you're ESC, check you're transmitter for right endpoints of the throttle and teach them to the ESC.
If you has done these and you're nero feels still slow, change to the bigger pinion gear.
The next option will be 6S but first with the small pinion if you don't alleys drive on flat surfaces.
You have get a kind of chart with you're Nero where is roughly explained how fast with which gears.and battery cells.
The promised Topspeed is just possible with 6S big pinion on flat ground!

My girlfriend drives her Nero always on 4S with small pinion gear. She means that it is fast enough for her! ;)
But you have to realize that our "Playgrounds" here (NRW in Germany) much smaller than in wider range countries like USA or Australia.

I can't reset the ESC. That is another problem. Red and green leds never go off..it is always red flashing when I hold the set button more than 3 sec.

The speed is not the main problem but 2 beebs is.

I tried the things you mentioned above..

Than you though

The Manual says: To reset the ESC to factory default settings connect a battery, turn the transmitter on and then turn the car on. Press and hold the set button for 4 seconds and release. The Red and Green lights will ash simultaneously to show you have reset. Switch the ESC o and factory reset is complete.
After that switch off an on again....
I think the important point is: Transmitter On.

Settings the throttle endpoints are easy. Move the finger forward and push the + button more times below the steering wheel.
Same while pull the throttle fully.
You can also reset the transmitter.

But you have to teach the new endpoints to the ESC afterwards doesn't matter which way you are choosing..

Hello to everyone. I am new to the forums and have recently purchased an Arrma Nero with diff brain and a Nero Fazon with diff brain. The Nero was used and it was running hot so someone suggested to change the esc to MMX esc and use stock motor. Installed the esc as per instructions and tried to calibrate it. Once calibrated i lost all diff brain function. Tried calibrating the diff brain chip and lost all throttle on transmitter. I was wondering if anyone with MMX experience could explain how to properly install and set up including wiring connections. I also tried reinstalling the original blx 200 but after setup when car is turned on and throttle on transmitter is in neutral it starts going full throttle and will only stop if brake is hit. As soon as u let go it goes full throttle again. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back