BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys I'm new here and finding the site very interesting.
My son has a Typhoon and his esc has stopped , reading this thread it seems to be a common problem so my question is what's the best esc replacement brand and model ?

I have the Outcast and burnt out my ESC playing in the snow. The stock ESC is only water resistant, not waterproof. I replaced it with the EZRUN MAX 6 160 AMP BRUSHLESS ESC. I had to solder different ends on the ESC so that it would plug into my motor but everything works great.

Hi guys

following is to describe you what happens to my esc (BLX180 - Talion)...

mid power...all good, red and blue led steady
full power...red and blue led flashing alternately, no full power to the wheels.

Any idea/help???

thanks
Daniel

the 185 esc isn't any better after running my Kraton about 8 times i turn it on green light comes on then flashes red reel fast and have no throttle & no steering was sent a new receiver and control same thing no change must be esc

I have never had an issue with my Typhon. 6S is Awesome!! My Raider BLX is another beast. Looking here i know now i will have to contact Arrma. Thanks for all the helpful input.

I had the exact same issue and it ended up being my ESC was in NIMH instead of LIPO mode somehow, solution: hold down the button- turn on car- wait until a green beeb- release button- ensure you are on option 1 via one beeb as this is LIPO mode, option 2 is NIMH

I've seen a number of posts on this forum asking and talking about various issues that they experience with the BLX ESC that is installed on a few different Arrma models. The intention of this thread is to gather those random posts into a singular thread to assist future readers with determining the potential problem that they are experiencing.

Fellow members, if you have had an issue with your ESC and have determined the solution, please add a detailed description of your problem, troubleshooting steps, and ultimate resolution. @WoodiE or @Unusual RC, if we get enough different use cases, we may want to make this a sticky.

Here is an overview of my personal experience that I had with ESC issues:

Model: Arrma Talion BLX 6S BLX

Age of model when problems started:
<1 month / <2 hours' runtime

Type of driving:
In snow, no bashing

Type of battery being used:
LiPo 4S

Description of problem:

Initially, the Arrma Talion would stop in the middle of a run, the motor would stop and twitch for a very brief moment, the ESC would beep twice, then the motor would usually start working again. Over the next few runs within 24 hours from the initial issue, the problem occurred more and more frequently. Finally, the Talion simply stopped working. The blue LED would flash four times, pause, and then repeat the cycle (blue light is supposed to indicate low voltage). No motor twitch and no beeps. Note that during the whole process the radio and steering servo were working as expected.

Troubleshooting steps:

• Swapped out four different LiPo batteries
  • Tested each LiPo with a voltage meter to ensure that they were charged
  • Checked connections, especially the T connections
  • Dried and cleaned all areas by the motor and ESC
  • Tossed the Talion onto it's haunches from 5 feet up (this actually worked a few times when it was still occasionally working - apparently, the jolt was doing something)
  • Let it sit overnight in a dry, warm space
  • Got upset and threatened the Talion that if it didn't work right, I would leave it out in the blistering cold overnight (yeah, that didn't work)
Actions taken:
  • Post-troubleshooting - called Arrma Customer Support, explained the issue, and they requested that I detach and send both the ESC and motor for diagnosis and fill out their form to describe the issue again.
    • I shipped both devices to Hobby Services (with a completed form) and it arrived there on January 4th, 2016
Ultimate resolution:
  • I received a replacement ESC and motor on January 13th, 2016 with the following notes:
    • ESC was found to have programming issues and has been replaced
    • Motor was making screeching sounds and has been replaced
Additional notes and/or recommendations:

I had no idea that the motor was making "screeching" sounds, so I'm quite glad that I sent in both devices. Also, even in the middle of their busiest time, they were still able to turn around the warranty service in one week (excluding shipping time) - that's pretty incredible!

Tips for other users:
  • Check the battery in the car/truck first - make sure that's not the problem
  • Check the wires and connections from the battery to the ESC to the motor - make sure that they're secure
  • Note if the ESC's blue light is flashing. If this is the case and you have validated your batteries and connection are not the issue, you may need to call Arrma Support.
Can anyone tell me the toll free number for arrma customer support??

Model: E Revo VXL (2.0) Mamba Monster 1

Age of Model When Problems Started: 6 months

Age of ESC When Problems Started: 9 years

Type Of Driving: hardcore, skate park/ construction site/ snow for every vehicle this esc has been in over the years

Type of Battery Being Used: for the first few years it was 16 cell nimh, but has been 6s lipo only since.

Description of Problem:
It started to let out smoke every time it started, just a little, this starting about 3 years ago, and then during a normal run the esc stopped giving power to the motor. Servo worked fine.

Troubleshooting Steps:
Used different batteries, didn’t fix anything.
Put in my mxl 6s and the car was working normally again.

Actions Taken:
Emailed castle Support

Ultimate Resolution: we’ll see.

Ultimate resolution2: i disassembled the esc and found a 3mm long capacitor missing while comparing a photo of my board to another one. Come to find out, I’m missing 2 more pieces. Let me order those.

I had my Infraction for a good month and a half now , and I think I finally killed my ESC after pretty much running it every other day to daily. Ive had minor overheating issues before but tonight my ESC might be fried (really hoping not)

I turn my ESC off and a Solid green light stays on(a little faded) I turn it back on and i get a solid green and red light
(Cant find any info on lights on my manual anywhere)
Kicker is i disconnect my battery from the ESC and i still got the light on my esc (WTF)
After a while i don't get any lights at all after i turn it on
I get steering response but no throttle.

Currently charging my batteries and see what I can do to fix , what kind of troubleshooting can I do to rescusitate ?

Will arrma still cover a replacement if i have warranty ?
Should i start shopping around for a new esc maybe a new motor as well?

I appreciate any kind of help

All of my arrmas don't have blx on them i do not trust their electronics
Take them out sell it on ebay and get a better one?
Ahh I wish I knew that a couple months ago after reading through the forums tonight it seems that im not the only one having issues with their ESC im very new to the hobby , im trying to get a replacement from horizon but what would be an good alternative ESC ? And is it plug and play ?

I only use hobby wings esc motor combo
I have good luck with them not like the mamba
Plus much easier to program with the program card?

The BLX185 is a Hobbywing ESC. ??‍♂️

I would call HH and get a warranty replacement. Call and leave a call back number and they will get you taken care of. At least get a replacement and keep it as a backup.

Granite 3s BLX
Slow driving in grass
3s Lipo
2 week old truck.
Was putting around the back yard, truck acted like I hit the brakes, stopped and nothing. Steering worked but no forward or reverse. Turned off and on esc, worked for about 10 more minutes then did it again. Calling Arrma in the morning. Highly disappointed, my girlfriend drives this truck like a grandma. Between my factory leaky diff, excessive loctite everywhere, and now this, I’m unfortunately becoming turned off with Arrma.

Granite 3s BLX
Slow driving in grass
3s Lipo
2 week old truck.
Was putting around the back yard, truck acted like I hit the brakes, stopped and nothing. Steering worked but no forward or reverse. Turned off and on esc, worked for about 10 more minutes then did it again. Calling Arrma in the morning. Highly disappointed, my girlfriend drives this truck like a grandma. Between my factory leaky diff, excessive loctite everywhere, and now this, I’m unfortunately becoming turned off with Arrma.
Stock bearings?

Stock bearings?
Yes but idk what bearings would have to do with it. It’ll work just fine after I turn it off and back on. You can actually hear the motor hit the brakes when your driving

Sounds like a stuck bearing or two. Running in grass with the stock bearings probably got moisture inside the bearings and seized them up. ??‍♂️

Sounds like a stuck bearing or two. Running in grass with the stock bearings probably got moisture inside the bearings and seized them up. ??‍♂️
If they were seized I wouldn’t have a change every time I cycled the power on the truck. It’s something in the esc acting up. If you drive you truck, listen to the sound it makes when you hit the brakes. That’s the same exact sound. It’s like the esc is receiving a signal to hit the brakes and not release until it’s reset.

If they were seized I wouldn’t have a change every time I cycled the power on the truck. It’s something in the esc acting up. If you drive you truck, listen to the sound it makes when you hit the brakes. That’s the same exact sound. It’s like the esc is receiving a signal to hit the brakes and not release until it’s reset.
Ahh ok that does sound strange.

Back