Outcast BLX motor screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmAh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
Any suggestions/tips on how to remove the 3 BLX motor screws so that I can to the bearings? I find them so soft and starting to strip..if not stripped already.

I purchased extra screws for the motors since I was stripping them. Luckily I have multiple hex wrenches that are slightly larger than others and was able to screw them out/in. I will likely replace them the next time I maintenance my motors.

Better hex wrenches may do the trick. I was using a cheap set of small hex drivers and noticed some screws were starting to strip. Bought a good set of regular allan keys that helped. Now waiting for my MIP drivers to be delivered.

Also, at one point a screw started to strip and switching to a slightly larger Torx bit got it out. But I didn't bother putting that screw back in. Glad I had a replacement screw for that.

Good quality drivers, MIP and others, make all the difference. And a good rule of thumb, if a screw into metal doesn't come loose when you first try, don't go all Gorilla on it. Use heat. I use a mini butane torch that works great. I also had to get creative once when I had a stripped screw and sloppy driver. I took a staple and put it in the screw, then forced the driver in against it. That made it tight enough, with heat, that it came loose.

Torch them then try. Stripped ones get a slot cut to fit a flat head screw driver then heat and come out like butter.

Wow as newbie this is all good info to soak in. So you use a Dremel tool to make the cut...??? I have one but its a cheaper cordless one...well I have the bigger powered one in the garage but it's meaty in size for an RC

Wow as newbie this is all good info to soak in. So you use a Dremel tool to make the cut...??? I have one but its a cheaper cordless one...well I have the bigger powered one in the garage but it's meaty in size for an RC
Yep cheap as all get out lol harbor freight. Thin cutting blade does the trick. Steady hands as well. Cut until the flat blade fits nicely.

I think i'm going to go with the slot cut method. Any concerns if i reuse the screws once i put it back together?

If you’ve already partially rounded out the inside of the hex - try the using a torx bit first before slotting the head.
I believe torx fasteners share physical dimensions (point to point) with hex fasteners, but the taper and extra points of contact really help with getting some extra purchase.
Has worked for me in the past!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back