BLX Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motor bearings? The ones they put in the Blx motors stink. I’m running FastEddys on my rigs. What are you running?

The stock bearings. I can't get them out. Haha
Take my advice. Get them out before the blow apart? Front stock bearing, 2 months old?
05B2706A-C640-4AD0-B568-D2DE39731D01.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks just like mine did! And for the cap end bearing, yes, the bread trick works like a charm.
Put new bearings in the motor and put everything back together. Had to use a shim from a motor I had sitting on my bench, there was too much play in the motor shaft. It worked on the bench. I’ll put it back in my rig this weekend and give her the real test??

I also took apart my other 2400kv and cleaned everything out and put a very light oil on the bearings. This motor was older and looked brand new inside ?‍♂️

Put new bearings in the motor and put everything back together. Had to use a shim from a motor I had sitting on my bench, there was too much play in the motor shaft. It worked on the bench. I’ll put it back in my rig this weekend and give her the real test??

I also took apart my other 2400kv and cleaned everything out and put a very light oil on the bearings. This motor was older and looked brand new inside ?‍♂️
Yeah, it's those bearings Arrma uses. They don't last for sheott. I put ceramic hybrids back in mine. Hopefully they'll last longer.

After cleaning the inside of that motor real good, it looks like the bearing possibly damaged the copper on the pinion side. I see a few loose pieces of wire dangling. Motor is probably shot. Got another on the way from JRC. Sucks I’ve only had it for a couple of months. How often should I be taking the motor apart and changing the bearings? Also every time I take apart my motor mount assembly to check my gear mesh, that thing is full of black dust. Is that normal? If so, how often should I clean that?
After changing the pinion on my Typhon 3s after the first few runs I also noticed a lot of black dust. It was from the spur/slipper assembly rubbing on the plastic casing of the motor mount, mostly on the rear side

It may be likely your bearing blew from a combination of that dust getting trapped and heating up your bearing, and from the fixed pinion motor mount mesh being too tight from factory (I had both issues but thankfully no blown bearings)

I would definitely get the adjustable motor mount from Arrma too so you can set a much better mesh and have far more pinion options: AR310898

Then I used half a dozen of these HPI shims [15x12x0.5] on either side to stop most of the massive play I had between the spur and motor mount casings and they fit perfectly: HPI-101291

Last edited:
After changing the pinion on my Typhon 3s after the first few runs I also noticed a lot of black dust. It was from the spur/slipper assembly rubbing on the plastic casing of the motor mount, mostly on the rear side

It may be likely your bearing blew from a combination of that dust getting trapped and heating up your bearing, and from the fixed pinion motor mount mesh being too tight from factory (I had both issues but thankfully no blown bearings)

I would definitely get the adjustable motor mount from Arrma too so you can set a much better mesh and have far more pinion options: AR310898

Then I used half a dozen of these HPI shims [15x12x0.5] on either side to stop most of the massive play I had between the spur and motor mount casings and they fit perfectly: HPI-101291
I have the Arrrma adjustable motor mount in both rigs. I’ll definitely try shimming the slipper!??

I have the Arrrma adjustable motor mount in both rigs. I’ll definitely try shimming the slipper!??
This thread made me want to check my motor bearings and I'm glad I did, the 5x16x5 bearing nearest the pinion was sloppy as sh*t!

Debris and dust was still getting in and busting the bearing, so I've just done this mod using green slime, an o-ring and a washer I got from a hardware store ?‍?

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_233325.jpg
    IMG_20200415_233325.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_20200415_233511.jpg
    IMG_20200415_233511.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 546

The 15x12 shim fits over the slipper tightly?
This thread made me want to check my motor bearings and I'm glad I did, the 5x16x5 bearing nearest the pinion was sloppy as sh*t!

Debris and dust was still getting in and busting the bearing, so I've just done this mod using green slime, an o-ring and a washer I got from a hardware store ?‍?
Let me know if it works

Last edited:
Fit them between the bearing and the slipper, and no they're not tight, they have a slight play to them so I guess 15x11 will be a more snug fit (if you can find them) but go for thicker 0.5mm+ like these HPI ones or you'll be adding far too many

There's 3 against the slipper clutch in the picture (and I've put 2 the other side)
Gotcha, I was thinking they would fit tightly against the bearings

Gotcha, I was thinking they would fit tightly against the bearings
*CORRECTION* sorry I've just realised the 3 shims I've put on the slipper don't do anything!!! The bearing sits far away from them ??

For less play and for no rubbing of the spur on the plastics, you'll only need one of each shim on the outside of the bearings, NOT against the slipper clutch, in the order of the picture shown

ALSO I've just measured the shaft diameter and it's 10mm, so 15x10x0.5 shims will be the best fit (again, if you're able to find them) otherwise these HPI-101291 shims will do just fine as they still fit snug in the 15mm bearing housing

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_004208.jpg
    IMG_20200416_004208.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 269
Update...

Ran the car about a dozen times deliberately in dust/dirt/grass...

Dirt still gets in to the power module HOWEVER none of it is from the spur rubbing on the motor mount plastics! The HPI shimming works so if you're getting black dust check your motor mount plastics for scoring and shim it up. Some people have cut a notch in the chassis under the spur to keep debris out so that could be done too

The o-ring mod worked like a dream! Just checked the o-ring and it's still in great condition, and the bearing is CLEAN!!! I didn't have to plug the other threads on the motor either. This should save you from the dirty bearing plague. Remember to wash your hands afterwards ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_105702.jpg
    IMG_20200428_105702.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_20200428_110108.jpg
    IMG_20200428_110108.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 432
Update...

Ran the car about a dozen times deliberately in dust/dirt/grass...

Dirt still gets in to the power module HOWEVER none of it is from the spur rubbing on the motor mount plastics! The HPI shimming works so if you're getting black dust check your motor mount plastics for scoring and shim it up. Some people have cut a notch in the chassis under the spur to keep debris out so that could be done too

The o-ring mod worked like a dream! Just checked the o-ring and it's still in great condition, and the bearing is CLEAN!!! I didn't have to plug the other threads on the motor either. This should save you from the dirty bearing plague. Remember to wash your hands afterwards ?
I shimmed both of mine and ran them all day Saturday. No more slop and no dust!??
1264A7F7-8DC9-4D97-9813-84BFD5AD3271.jpeg

Pardon my ignorance but wtf is the bread trick? ?‍♂️?
Stick little balls of bread into the inner race and push them all the way in with the motor shaft. Repeat until the bread pushes the bearing out of the cap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back