BLX Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I second time that I blew my motor bearing, and it was the front one (pinion side) again. Now I'm going for ceramic, but how can I take the front bearing off, since it has blown into pieces, and only the outer ring is in the motor, and stuck? Bread wont work, since the end cap has a hole, and the bearing is busted, so I cannot punch it with anything from the outside.
Same thing happened to me. I was unable to get the outer ring out. Contact Horizon Hobby. I was sent a new motor under warranty. Seal up your new motor so it doesn't happen again.

You could also try unscrewing the pinion side end cap for easier access... I didn't even know this could be done until mine actually loosened up on it's own ?

you could try putting the can in a vice - not too tight - and twisting the entire motor mount plate as per the picture (with mine, the rotor came out with it because I didn't take my pinion off). You may even need to heat up the end cap to soften the thread lock holding it on, but I would try without doing so first

View attachment 110593
WTF its possible to unscrew the front end of the motor?.

I tried to open one of my old motor they are welded shut i used hammers to try to crack the front cap loose nothing does it lol its completly welded. I just trashed even more an old bended motor mount lol. You have to be hulk or something

Thanks for all the tips! I tried to loosen the end cap, but no go. Freezing the can didn't loosen the bearing. I ordered a replacement motor, but while waiting, I might still try the double hole-method, that might work.

Warranty is something that pretty much doesn't exist here, there is at least one retailer after Horizon Hobby, and we need to deal with them. Of course if my electronics fail at the first run, that's clear. But now we are talking about a truck that is half year old and motor bearings already changed once, I wouldn't either cover this to warranty, if it was my call.

Thanks for all the tips! I tried to loosen the end cap, but no go. Freezing the can didn't loosen the bearing. I ordered a replacement motor, but while waiting, I might still try the double hole-method, that might work.

Warranty is something that pretty much doesn't exist here, there is at least one retailer after Horizon Hobby, and we need to deal with them. Of course if my electronics fail at the first run, that's clear. But now we are talking about a truck that is half year old and motor bearings already changed once, I wouldn't either cover this to warranty, if it was my call.
A two year warranty is just that. Two years. Your call. No mileage limitations.:LOL:

*CORRECTION* sorry I've just realised the 3 shims I've put on the slipper don't do anything!!! The bearing sits far away from them ??

For less play and for no rubbing of the spur on the plastics, you'll only need one of each shim on the outside of the bearings, NOT against the slipper clutch, in the order of the picture shown

ALSO I've just measured the shaft diameter and it's 10mm, so 15x10x0.5 shims will be the best fit (again, if you're able to find them) otherwise these HPI-101291 shims will do just fine as they still fit snug in the 15mm bearing housing

I looked online and I can't find 15x10x0.5 shims (or thin washers). But I do find 10x14x0.5 and 10x16x0.5. Note that outer diameter and inner diameter appears inverted, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. The real problem is that I can't find 15mm diameter shims. What would you suggest, going for the 14mm or the 16mm?

I looked online and I can't find 15x10x0.5 shims (or thin washers). But I do find 10x14x0.5 and 10x16x0.5. Note that outer diameter and inner diameter appears inverted, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. The real problem is that I can't find 15mm diameter shims. What would you suggest, going for the 14mm or the 16mm?
No, you'll want 15mm outer diameter shims. It doesn't matter about the thickness because you can add more ?

These are! HPI-101291 ? these are around 0.2mm thickness. I used 2 on either side of the slipper bearings (furthest away from the spur)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=36864

No, you'll want 15mm outer diameter shims. It doesn't matter about the thickness because you can add more ?

These are! HPI-101291 ? these are around 0.2mm thickness. I used 2 on either side of the slipper bearings (furthest away from the spur)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=36864
Ok thank you. I live in Reunion though. I really have not a very large choice of parts and it is very very difficult for me to make the necessary parts coming here and shipment is often more expensive than the parts. I have to deal with banggood or aliexpress in order to limit the expense, in exchange of a very long shipment time (between 3 weeks to 3 months some times, randomly).
I suppose 16mm won't go inside the motor mount hole? What will happen if I use 14mm, it will go through it?

Ok thank you. I live in Reunion though. I really have not a very large choice of parts and it is very very difficult for me to make the necessary parts coming here and shipment is often more expensive than the parts. I have to deal with banggood or aliexpress in order to limit the expense, in exchange of a very long shipment time (between 3 weeks to 3 months some times, randomly).
I suppose 16mm won't go inside the motor mount hole? What will happen if I use 14mm, it will go through it?
Hello every one, I can confirm that shims of size 10mm (inner diameter) × 14mm (outter diameter) x 0.2mm (thickness) are also compatible and very easy to find and very cheap.
I put 1 on each side of each of the two bearings, so a total of 4, and it does the job very well.

Anybody know where I can find the shims for the spur gear bearings? Either the 14x10 or 15x10? HPI showing sold out and seems to be everywhere else also lol

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I've had my Typhon 3S for about 3 months, with only about a dozen or so runs on it on terrain ranging from asphalt, grass, and dirt. On Saturday, after five minutes, I noticed a rough noise coming from the drivetrain. Out of an abundance of caution, I stopped for the day and took it home. I began taking the drivetrain apart for the first time. Upon opening the gearbox, there was black dust just as seen in photos in this thread. The motor shaft varies from being seized up, to rough "spinning". It sounds like my bearing is also shot...

I've already contact Horizon hoping for a warranty replacement (that I hope they fulfill no questions asked, considering I seem to be the latest in a long line of users having the same issue). In the meantime, I've ordered 5x16x5 bearings, but I need to get some shims to prevent the slipper-case grinding. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I've had my Typhon 3S for about 3 months, with only about a dozen or so runs on it on terrain ranging from asphalt, grass, and dirt. On Saturday, after five minutes, I noticed a rough noise coming from the drivetrain. Out of an abundance of caution, I stopped for the ay an took it home. I began taking the drivetrain apart for the first time. Upon opening the gearbox, there was black dust just as seen in photos in this thread. The motor shaft varies from being seized up, to rough "spinning". It sounds like my bearing is also shot...

I've already contact Horizon hoping for a warranty replacement (that I hope they fulfill no questions asked, considering I seem to be the latest in a long line of users having the same issue). In the meantime, I've ordered 5x16x5 bearings, but I need to get some shims to prevent the slipper-case grinding. Wish me luck!
I reckon Arrma should redesign the power module. It's collects a lot of dust and grenading the pinion-side bearing is a very common issue, unless you try some of the fixes in this thread

Since I fitted an o-ring on the shaft, shimmed the play out of the slipper clutch and drilled vent holes in the chassis, I no longer get any black powder from the plastic housing, but I do often get a build up of dust after running in gravel and some ash piles. Thankfully the dust isn't a cause for concern because the o-ring seals the motor bearing from it. Others tape up the power module and have had success with that

FYI, just in case, the V2 BLX motor has a 5x16x5 bearing (which is the common one that blows) AND a 5x13x4 bearing at the end of the can. I'm guessing this is the same for the V3 Spektrum motors

Last edited:
I reckon Arrma should redesign the power module. It's collects a lot of dust and grenading the pinion-side bearing is a very common issue, unless you try some of the fixes in this thread

Since I fitted an o-ring on the shaft, shimmed the play out of the slipper clutch and drilled vent holes in the chassis, I no longer get any black powder from the plastic housing, but I do often get a build up of dust after running in gravel and some ash piles. Thankfully the dust isn't a cause for concern because the o-ring seals the motor bearing from it. Others tape up the power module and have had success with that

FYI, just in case, the V2 BLX motor has a 5x16x5 bearing (which is the common one that blows) AND a 5x13x4 bearing at the end of the can. I'm guessing this is the same for the V3 Spektrum motors

I tend to agree that if preventing the motor and bearings from destroying themselves requires this amount of user effort, then the design should likely be improved. I don't know how exactly, but I'm sure based on the clever engineering in their vehicles, the designers at Arrma can figure something out.

I found a good video on YouTube that showed the motor disassembly and bearing sizes. Mine is a V3, and the video confirms its a 5x16x5 bearing, but thanks for checking.

Update: I finally got the pinion gear off after nearly stripping the set screw, and was able to remove the motor shaft to see what I was dealing with....
"Well, THERE'S your problem"
Yeah, no wonder my motor was having difficulty spinning/running...

Question: I've submitted a warranty claim with Horizon. They asked for a photo, but I didn't send them one because I had no visible damage, and I can't exactly show a stuck motor shaft via photo. If I send them this image, will they consider the warranty voided, or will it bolster my claim that the motor is defective?

20210323_203222.jpg

A 2 year warranty means exactly that. 2 years with a receipt. 🤷‍♂️Doesn't matter how many times you changed the BB's in there.
The rest is up to you. It's your call. Your wallet.

You are overthinking this. If they ask for a picture of a stuck shaft, send it to them and let them figure it out. 🤓
You would have had one by now on warranty.

Just saw that my post has been quoted, again. Obviously the warranty is an important thing :D

Might as well update the situation: I contacted directly to Horizon Hobby and they warrantied the motor and now the problem is solved. Haven't yet removed the bearing from old motor, but will do it to get a spare.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back