BLX100 ESC fan quit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim1990

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I was out running my Senton 3S today and it was running great. I stopped towards the end of my second pack to check the cell voltages and noticed the fan wasn't running. I've already sent pictures and a video to Horizon support, but in the mean time, is there a way I could check it to see if its the fan or something with the esc? I was thinking of plugging it into the third channel of the receiver, would this work?

I was out running my Senton 3S today and it was running great. I stopped towards the end of my second pack to check the cell voltages and noticed the fan wasn't running. I've already sent pictures and a video to Horizon support, but in the mean time, is there a way I could check it to see if its the fan or something with the esc? I was thinking of plugging it into the third channel of the receiver, would this work?

Take the fan cover off the esc and check the wires that connect to the fan. Chances are one or both broke. Fairly common.

Take the fan cover off the esc and check the wires that connect to the fan. Chances are one or both broke. Fairly common.
I took it apart and it all seems connected. I also heard back from Horizon today and they said I need to do a service request and there's no replacements until April. Also they want a minimum of $11.99 for return shipping, which kind of shocked me as the fan would be cheaper to just replace myself.

I took it apart and it all seems connected. I also heard back from Horizon today and they said I need to do a service request and there's no replacements until April. Also they want a minimum of $11.99 for return shipping, which kind of shocked me as the fan would be cheaper to just replace myself.
They pulled some stuff like that with me a little while back but folded when I applied some pressure. I told them that it seems a little silly to be shipping parts back and forth when it's already known to be defective and asked if they could just send a new one. They did, but never told me they were going to. I don't know how that would work with parts that aren't in stock though.

Find a WTF fan that is the same size as the stock one, it however will most likely run off the receiver instead of the esc, just plug it right into any open spot on the receiver. And just quick tip, when plugging things into the receiver it is always black on the outside, one to turn two to burn.

They pulled some stuff like that with me a little while back but folded when I applied some pressure. I told them that it seems a little silly to be shipping parts back and forth when it's already known to be defective and asked if they could just send a new one. They did, but never told me they were going to. I don't know how that would work with parts that aren't in stock though.
[/QUOT
Find a WTF fan that is the same size as the stock one, it however will most likely run off the receiver instead of the esc, just plug it right into any open spot on the receiver. And just quick tip, when plugging things into the receiver it is always black on the outside, one to turn two to burn.
That was going to be my next question. The actual fan is 10mm X 10mm, but could be a little bigger if I didn't use the housing. Should I just screw the fan to the ESC or use the stock housing? EDIT: stock fan is 25X25mm, no clue how I measured 10X10mm.

Last edited:
That was going to be my next question. The actual fan is 10mm X 10mm, but could be a little bigger if I didn't you the housing. Should I just screw the fan to the ESC or use the stock housing?
You can screw it right to the esc, might need some 3mmx0.5mm spacers just so the screws don't bottom out or use a slightly shorter screw.

the plug is different on this WTF fan, will this work the same as the jst and plug into the pins? If so, do you know what the plug is called so I could order an extension for it.

the plug is different on this WTF fan, will this work the same as the jst and plug into the pins? If so, do you know what the plug is called so I could order an extension for it.View attachment 32506
Oh man, I have no idea what that is called.

Update to the situation: After removing the fan and taking a closer look of the ESC I found a hole in the “goop” on the ESC that surrounds the wiring. You can see the spot in the picture, between the fan plug and the heat sink. It was suggested by Horrizon support to send it in, which I did. The part was received on this past Monday and is now showing a status of waiting on parts as of today. I’ve never done a warranty claim and not too sure of the process, will they notify me at all about how long things will take? If they are only replacing the fan, which shows backordered until April, will they really make me wait till then? I was going to just put a aftermarket fan on it, but the hole in the goop stuff kind of worried me
EA229703-ED4B-44E7-8DC6-4DE4827C438A.jpeg

Just wait the whole esc will crap out soon...
Do you have experience with this esc going bad? How long do they usually last? I try to stay away from puddles and such but I'm worried that after I receive my replacement motor from arrma, the next thing to break will be the esc...

Do you have experience with this esc going bad? How long do they usually last? I try to stay away from puddles and such but I'm worried that after I receive my replacement motor from arrma, the next thing to break will be the esc...
I’m not sure on lifespan as I’m new to all of this. I avoid puddles, mud and any other sources of water like the plague. I don’t care if it’s listed as waterproof, unless completely sealed, I feel at some point water will find a path and cause damage.

Oh no it’s not a matter of getting wet. The esc’s just don’t last.

For all my WP esc’s, they’ve been submerged at one point or another. No problem. Even the blx 185. The blx 100 I cant comment on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back