Typhon Blx100 lvc issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig76

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I was wondering how many people have had issues with the esc on the 3s line up?

I bought my son a Typhon for xmas and after a couple of short full throttle bursts it would go into limp mode. The store I bought it from sent a new esc and on it's first run it seemed ok but on it's second time started cutting out again.
At first I thought it was thermal as the manual states red warning light for thermal but it is definitely lvc cut off.

It is not the batteries as tried various types and when I plug them back into the charger they are always 3.8v+ per cell.

Looking on some other forums it seems quite a common problem.

I bought my son a Typhon for xmas and after a couple of short full throttle bursts it would go into limp mode. The store I bought it from sent a new esc and on it's first run it seemed ok but on it's second time started cutting out again.
At first I thought it was thermal as the manual states red warning light for thermal but it is definitely lvc cut off.

It is not the batteries as tried various types and when I plug them back into the charger they are always 3.8v+ per cell.

lvc is very high on the BLX 100. You might consider higher mAh batteries. Short quick bursts will draw too high and shorten the lvc.

If you have cheap batteries, the voltage will temporarily drop/sag below 3.8v/cell when you're hitting full throttle, and that triggers LVC. Even though when you pull it out it will measure at 3.8v, it probably dropped to around 3.4v/cell under load.

I am running 5200mah 50c ovonic and Overlander 5300 65c batteries. The lvc is meant to be 3.4v and I tested the batteries in a friends car with his lvc set to 3.5 to test if the batteries were sagging and no issues.

Seems like my only option is to buy a different esc or just bin the car which is not great on an almost brand new car. Puts me off Arrma and I was seriously tempted by some of the 6s stuff.

Lots of people are complaining about it on various forums.

Contact Horizon Hobby directly. You sure the one the store sent was new and not a used replacement? Horizon should warranty it with no issues.

Having the same issue with my sons brcc. Got a new esc and it does the same thing. The motor seems to get hot very quick. I ordered a battery with a less C rating and it does the same thing. I put a fan on it yesterday and haven’t had the chance to test it yet. Hopefully I don't have to buy the more expensive batteries. I have 8 3s batteries already and they all work great in my Kraton 6s. I also ordered better bearings to see if that helps. I also back off a hair on my wheel nuts. It’s been bothering me since Xmas when Santa dropped it off

I am running 5200mah 50c ovonic and Overlander 5300 65c batteries. The lvc is meant to be 3.4v and I tested the batteries in a friends car with his lvc set to 3.5 to test if the batteries were sagging and no issues.

Seems like my only option is to buy a different esc or just bin the car which is not great on an almost brand new car. Puts me off Arrma and I was seriously tempted by some of the 6s stuff.

Lots of people are complaining about it on various forums.
I bought a 6200 mAh 50c cheapo battery, and everything is fine. Run time is improved, all the power is still there. A high lvc seems like a pretty odd reason to "bin" a vehicle, but that is a choice only the owner can make.

Contact Horizon Hobby directly. You sure the one the store sent was new and not a used replacement? Horizon should warranty it with no issues.

It was a brand new esc still cellophaned in the box.
Horizon Hobby won't do anything if you are in the UK just tell you to contact the store.

Seems like a lot of the newer 3s line has this issue.
Turned the throttle epa down to 80% and the braking down to 65% and it still chops out.
I bought a 6200 mAh 50c cheapo battery, and everything is fine. Run time is improved, all the power is still there. A high lvc seems like a pretty odd reason to "bin" a vehicle, but that is a choice only the owner can make.

My son has mild autism issues and the whole issue is making him reject the car. Difficult for most of us to understand. Trying to get him into this to get him away from a computer and not a good start.

It was a brand new esc still cellophaned in the box.
Horizon Hobby won't do anything if you are in the UK just tell you to contact the store.

Seems like a lot of the newer 3s line has this issue.
Turned the throttle epa down to 80% and the braking down to 65% and it still chops out.

My son has mild autism issues and the whole issue is making him reject the car. Difficult for most of us to understand. Trying to get him into this to get him away from a computer and not a good start.
Understood. This was the reason for the suggestion of the higher mAh battery. I am using HRB purchased through Amazon. They are only slightly more expensive than the 5000's.

The escs suck. I have had the same problems with all of them. I had to buy the real hobbywing ecs. To get the performance I need. It isn't just you. Look at the threads about it. They suck.

Understood. This was the reason for the suggestion of the higher mAh battery. I am using HRB purchased through Amazon. They are only slightly more expensive than the 5000's.

The batteries I am running are way over the 175 amps minimum Arrma recommend. There are people running panthers and 7000mah 80c batteries complaining of the same issue. Even if it did sort it nobody should have to overspec the batteries that much because there is an issue with the current batch of esc's.

Price isn't the issue as not trying to save money (HRBs I think are actually cheaper) but I do expect that a company who claims Arrma tough sell a product that actually works as it should.

The batteries I am running are way over the 175 amps minimum Arrma recommend. There are people running panthers and 7000mah 80c batteries complaining of the same issue. Even if it did sort it nobody should have to overspec the batteries that much because there is an issue with the current batch of esc's.

Price isn't the issue as not trying to save money (HRBs I think are actually cheaper) but I do expect that a company who claims Arrma tough sell a product that actually works as it should.
Again, I am not trying to convince you, just trying to offer a solution. If the suggestion doesn't appeal to you, I understand. The HRB was the cheapo battery I had mentioned in the earlier post. They have been quite good in my trucks thus far. I have four 3s 50c 5000's for my 6s trucks, and the one 3s 6200 50c for my 3s truck. So far, no issue that wasn't taken care of by Amazon on an earlier purchase.

Again, I am not trying to convince you, just trying to offer a solution. If the suggestion doesn't appeal to you, I understand. The HRB was the cheapo battery I had mentioned in the earlier post. They have been quite good in my trucks thus far. I have four 3s 50c 5000's for my 6s trucks, and the one 3s 6200 50c for my 3s truck. So far, no issue that wasn't taken care of by Amazon on an earlier purchase.

If it was the batteries I would agree but the ones I use are good quality and highly rated. I have already ordered a bunch of Panther graphene as I am putting together stuff for a couple of 6s cars which were going to be a Typhon and Kraton but not so sure Arrma is the right direction at the moment.

It seems to be problem with the newer blx100s as the older ones seem less prone to this issue.

If it was the batteries I would agree but the ones I use are good quality and highly rated. I have already ordered a bunch of Panther graphene as I am putting together stuff for a couple of 6s cars which were going to be a Typhon and Kraton but not so sure Arrma is the right direction at the moment.

It seems to be problem with the newer blx100s as the older ones seem less prone to this issue.
Can't comment on the older ones, as I have only the latest from the 3s line. I do own a 6s Notorious and 6s Typhon as well. Really good bang for the buck on initial cost. Both are upgraded now, and I consider them pretty indestructible except for common issues like arms and wing mounts. The Typhon doesn't get as extreme of a workout, but the Notorious has been sent very hard at both high jump bmx tracks and skateboard parks. My 3s is mostly for light bashing at a couple of small, un-maintained outdoor tracks, as well as light bashing around the house. There are posts here that say you can change or eliminate the lvc on the 100 with a Hobbywing program card, but I know that's not the answer you're looking for.

Can't comment on the older ones, as I have only the latest from the 3s line. I do own a 6s Notorious and 6s Typhon as well. Really good bang for the buck on initial cost. Both are upgraded now, and I consider them pretty indestructible except for common issues like arms and wing mounts. The Typhon doesn't get as extreme of a workout, but the Notorious has been sent very hard at both high jump bmx tracks and skateboard parks. My 3s is mostly for light bashing at a couple of small, un-maintained outdoor tracks, as well as light bashing around the house. There are posts here that say you can change or eliminate the lvc on the 100 with a Hobbywing program card, but I know that's not the answer you're looking for.
I will look into the program card as I was told it was just nimh or lipo setting on the 100 but will dig around. Any idea is a good idea but at the moment I am thinking if enough people have an issue then the esc is obviously not fit for purpose as the 50mph out the box claim is misleading.
Arrma need to sort it properly if there is a common issue.

Everything else on the car I am impressed with and I am still considering the 6s Typhon for my son as a replacement for the one he can't use properly.

The escs suck. I have had the same problems with all of them. I had to buy the real hobbywing ecs. To get the performance I need. It isn't just you. Look at the threads about it. They suck.

Tough to make such a broad assumption imo. Nobody here on this forum holds back when they're disappointing even with Arrma loyalty and haven't seen members point at the ESCs for unreliability. I have a good pile of v3 or later Arrma vehicles and all on stock electrics. I run cheap lipos and not cheap lipos and no trouble for me. Never been a lucky guy but I guess I'll take it if it's luck.

I will look into the program card as I was told it was just nimh or lipo setting on the 100 but will dig around. Any idea is a good idea but at the moment I am thinking if enough people have an issue then the esc is obviously not fit for purpose as the 50mph out the box claim is misleading.
Arrma need to sort it properly if there is a common issue.

Everything else on the car I am impressed with and I am still considering the 6s Typhon for my son as a replacement for the one he can't use properly.
With proper settings, I'm sure he would really enjoy the 6s Typhon. It would also have a much higher durability factor right out of the box. Aside from being able to run with a single 3s to start, once on 6s, the punch can be reduced and throttle settings can be adjusted until he gets the feel for the increased power. One thing to note about the new 6s trucks, and I feel I need to be upfront with someone like yourself, until they switch out the current STX2 radio and receiver, an alternate radio is highly recommended. Not everyone has had issues with this radio, but the ones who have have sworn to destroy it soon after running it. This is not an Arrma issue, but a Horizon Hobby one. The original Tactic radios that came with previous versions was air tight. Once Horizon took on the Arrma brand, Spektrums took their place. I've heard that they may have already started to phase the STX2 out, but it's important to know when shopping for a new Arrma. If your son's 3s already has the STX2 and you've had no issues, than maybe you've got it set up the way it was meant to be.

With proper settings, I'm sure he would really enjoy the 6s Typhon. It would also have a much higher durability factor right out of the box. Aside from being able to run with a single 3s to start, once on 6s, the punch can be reduced and throttle settings can be adjusted until he gets the feel for the increased power. One thing to note about the new 6s trucks, and I feel I need to be upfront with someone like yourself, until they switch out the current STX2 radio and receiver, an alternate radio is highly recommended. Not everyone has had issues with this radio, but the ones who have have sworn to destroy it soon after running it. This is not an Arrma issue, but a Horizon Hobby one. The original Tactic radios that came with previous versions was air tight. Once Horizon took on the Arrma brand, Spektrums took their place. I've heard that they may have already started to phase the STX2 out, but it's important to know when shopping for a new Arrma. If your son's 3s already has the STX2 and you've had no issues, than maybe you've got it set up the way it was meant to be.
He already has Turnigy GT5 that he uses for the 3s, swapped the stx2 out before I gave him the car. I had already read they were awful.
Tough to make such a broad assumption imo. Nobody here on this forum holds back when they're disappointing even with Arrma loyalty and haven't seen members point at the ESCs for unreliability. I have a good pile of v3 or later Arrma vehicles and all on stock electrics. I run cheap lipos and not cheap lipos and no trouble for me. Never been a lucky guy but I guess I'll take it if it's luck.
Go onto the facebook forums and there are lots of people who have recently bought the 3s line getting an issue with the lvc.

Goes LVC at 3.8V/ cell??? LVC circuit is off a bit. You think? I don't have one. But I seen you are not alone on this.
By contrast, my 3 6S BLX185's are work horses. One of them did fire up ,bricked, 2 years ago on fairly very new Noto. Horizon replaced most of the whole rig and sent it back. The new esc is flawless. never runs hot with the optional speed gear on dirt with no motor fan. I guess you if you are unlucky, you get a bad esc. The 2 year warranty always helps.(y)

Last edited:
He already has Turnigy GT5 that he uses for the 3s, swapped the stx2 out before I gave him the car. I had already read they were awful.

Go onto the facebook forums and there are lots of people who have recently bought the 3s line getting an issue with the lvc.
I'm on the fb group as well but don't participate anymore. I was fortunate to get here from there and prefer the positives here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back