BLX100 LVC - No limp mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy0987

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
Hi all,

Quick question about LVC on the BLX100. When mine hits LVC it just stops, there is no limp mode. Is this normal? All cells on my battery are reading 3.4v when it stops, so it is hitting the cut off, but thought it should go into limp mode before it shuts off?

Mine always has limp mode, but we’ve had reports from others that theirs didn’t have limp mode too. Not sure the rhyme or reason but it has been reported here before. I would put a call into HH and see if they have an answer.

I think it depends on the esc you have.. I have a newer one in my typhon, (long wires, caps, ic5) it has the limp mode...

My buddy has the older one in a granite, (short wires, ec5, no caps) it has no limp mode and just stops...

Not an expert, but it might be affected by your last input on the radio. It was explained to me once, you can spike the draw, so if you hammer down right near lvc, its possible to draw past the current setting. Usually not enough to do any kind of damage. Batteries often have two ratings, second being burst. Mine are 50c, 100c burst. As long as the lvc is set high enough, you should be fine.

My granite just flat cuts out at LVC too. I tried setting it to cut out earlier, and it does the same thing. Yesterday it cut out as I slowly approached a group of us talking, so I don't think it's a spike in draw. I think its just a flaw in the esc.

My granite just flat cuts out at LVC too. I tried setting it to cut out earlier, and it does the same thing. Yesterday it cut out as I slowly approached a group of us talking, so I don't think it's a spike in draw. I think its just a flaw in the esc.

It's the batteries not the esc.

On my Turnigy HD 6s brick with my Outcast I would hit limp mode then go into lvc. When running 4s with my 2 year old Floureon 6200mah lipos it would just die. With those crappy Zop Power 5200mah turds it would just die. Running 4s with the 2 6000mah HRBs I get limp mode.

Same deal goes with my LC Racing vehicles with completely different escs. My Turnigy 2200mah 2s 40c lipos limp mode then LVC. My 1700mah 20c 2s lipos no limp mode it just dies.

I can keep going with this if you want. Because the same thing happens with all my vehicles, certain batteries I get limp mode then it dies and certain batteries it just dies.

I have the previous BLX100 version, with EC5 (my BRCC came with a Tactic Tx) and i have a limp mode.

But the limp mode doesn't run during a long time, so, i guess, that if you have draw too much too fast, you can pass the limp mode and have a car which directly stop to run.
I can keep going with this if you want. Because the same thing happens with all my vehicles, certain batteries I get limp mode then it dies and certain batteries it just dies.

Yes, i would agree with this.

It's the batteries not the esc.

On my Turnigy HD 6s brick with my Outcast I would hit limp mode then go into lvc. When running 4s with my 2 year old Floureon 6200mah lipos it would just die. With those crappy Zop Power 5200mah turds it would just die. Running 4s with the 2 6000mah HRBs I get limp mode.

Same deal goes with my LC Racing vehicles with completely different escs. My Turnigy 2200mah 2s 40c lipos limp mode then LVC. My 1700mah 20c 2s lipos no limp mode it just dies.

I have 3 batteries. (2) 3s gensacearespammers and (1) 2s gensacearespammers. I have (2) 3s blx trucks. The older one stops instantly at LVC on all 3 batteries and has done so since it was new out the box, the other limps for a good 100 yards before it stops, again all 3 batteries. I don't doubt yours, but I'm pretty convinced it is not a battery issue on this one.

Edit - now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if it could be a bad solder. I never replaced the one on the older truck. Either way, it doesn't bother me much. I just have the kids run and grab it when it dies.

An update to this. I was informed that it could be the Deans to Ec5 adapter i'm currently using until i solder on some EC5 connectors to my new 3s batteries , these are the ones that don't get Limp Mode.

So I just ran the car on a 2s pack that has EC5 connectors and it hit Limp Mode when the LVC kicked in. Check the cell volatges after the run, and they were all at 3.6v. Which seems about right to me.

So not sure if its just the 3s packs I have that wont use limp mode, or the adapter is screwing with it.

I will get EC5 plugs put on my new 3s packs, and then see if it then starts using Limp Mode.

An update to this. I was informed that it could be the Deans to Ec5 adapter i'm currently using

It could be this. The deans or in general smaller connectors, can have more resistance, heat more, and draw more current and lost it in useless heat. Same for the wires gauge, more they are small, more they get hot.

An update to this. I was informed that it could be the Deans to Ec5 adapter i'm currently using until i solder on some EC5 connectors to my new 3s batteries , these are the ones that don't get Limp Mode.

So I just ran the car on a 2s pack that has EC5 connectors and it hit Limp Mode when the LVC kicked in. Check the cell volatges after the run, and they were all at 3.6v. Which seems about right to me.

So not sure if its just the 3s packs I have that wont use limp mode, or the adapter is screwing with it.

I will get EC5 plugs put on my new 3s packs, and then see if it then starts using Limp Mode.
Yeah it's the Deans plug. They're sh!tty connectors. Wack them off and put EC5/IC5 connectors on there ASAP.

I have been trying to figure out what I thought to be a problem with our Senton. For me it appears to be a battery problem not a Senton problem.

Our Senton will go into limp mode on concrete or hard dirt, but not on grass. On grass it usually just skips limp mode and goes straight to not moving at all, especially so with the Lectron Pro 5200 mAh 2s battery. The Lectron Pro battery seems to be at 3.5V-3.6V when this happens.

Our Senton with the SMC 8000 mAh 2s battery only skipped limp mode and went to not moving at all a couple times, but it definitely ran at slower speed on dirt and concrete, while it did not limp mode at all on grass. The SMC battery went all the way down below 3.2V before it was in limp mode. I don't know why, maybe we should have stopped running it sooner, but I thought there was a hard cutoff at either 3.2V or 3.4V, so I figured it was still OK.

Ours has the new ESC with IC5 connector and hold up caps on the ESC wires.

3.2vdc is a little low, but not in the danger zone quite yet. The reason is it takes less amperage to run on hard surfaces, so you will get more voltage out of your battery. When you are drawing higher amperage out of your lipo, the voltage will sag further and cause LVC to happen sooner. The voltage will pop back up after the load is gone. This seems counterintuitive, but if you want to fully drain any battery, a small load is best.

Yeah it's the Deans plug. They're sh!tty connectors. Wack them off and put EC5/IC5 connectors on there ASAP.
Update.... I swapped my connectors on the batteries to EC5, and now it goes into limp mode everytime. So it's was either the deans connectors on the batteries or the deans adapter screwing around with it.

Update.... I swapped my connectors on the batteries to EC5, and now it goes into limp mode everytime. So it's was either the deans connectors on the batteries or the deans adapter screwing around with it.
Probably just the deans in general.

Good news. Bash on brother

Might want to raise the default LVC for the sake of your batteries... (Just realized we can't change LVC for the BLX100, it's just LiPo or NiMH :( ) I finally ran one of my Lectron Pro 5200 packs to limp mode and my charger just put 5950mah back in. ESC has iC5, battery has EC5. Granite Mega upgraded w/a BLX100 and matching motor+mount, 3s slipper and a 13t pinion (driving in grass).

Wasn't continuous on it driving, and a little bit of creeping, so there was a fair chance for voltage to rise back up. Stock LVC.

Yeah, Deans is too small; 60A cont. 75-100A burst, direct equiv to XT60 or EC3. I've clocked my BLX100 at 145amp peak; haven't been able to do an average yet. Deans is OK for the brushed model.

Keep bashin'!

Last edited:
Don't think I'll be much help at all but just for reference.. on 4s 40c 5000mah lipo stock alll everything except a 16t pinion... No settings adjusted.. I can get roughly 50-100m on the smart 120 esc before it overheats and goes into limp mode.. also I'm thinking it's because my battery can't supply the full draw it can pull. I'm over drawing on the battery.. which got very difficult to gauge..when I ruined the battery.. I let it go past lvc going for hi speed big air.. limp mode mid air and that cost me my chassis .. I replaced the Rx and receiver with a fsg7p because the spectrum was a dud from get go.. I just didn't realise until it was too late because I was trying to take it easy on it .my new remote has all my battery telemetry.. I watched my cells just for the moment that I got past half throttle and watched it just flatline ...which is setting off limp mode... Lucky it did . Didn't realise how bad my battery had gotten in 15minutes I hit 0.7 percent that's boom town In my experience 😅... It's buggered at this point.. my point was that it's hard to tell whilst driving whether it's a temp issue or a lvc issue as I'm not sure if they are designed to cut out from temps!

Don't think I'll be much help at all but just for reference.. on 4s 40c 5000mah lipo stock alll everything except a 16t pinion... No settings adjusted.. I can get roughly 50-100m on the smart 120 esc before it overheats and goes into limp mode.. also I'm thinking it's because my battery can't supply the full draw it can pull. I'm over drawing on the battery.. which got very difficult to gauge..when I ruined the battery.. I let it go past lvc going for hi speed big air.. limp mode mid air and that cost me my chassis .. I replaced the Rx and receiver with a fsg7p because the spectrum was a dud from get go.. I just didn't realise until it was too late because I was trying to take it easy on it .my new remote has all my battery telemetry.. I watched my cells just for the moment that I got past half throttle and watched it just flatline ...which is setting off limp mode... Lucky it did . Didn't realise how bad my battery had gotten in 15minutes I hit 0.7 percent that's boom town In my experience 😅... It's buggered at this point.. my point was that it's hard to tell whilst driving whether it's a temp issue or a lvc issue as I'm not sure if they are designed to cut out from temps!
1692540848566.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back