Outcast Blx185 ESC fire. How may have had?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampy1978uk

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Hello all
As per my title
Yesterday when out bashing.
My ESC decided to catch fire and toast the side of my battery.
Outcast bought end of may 2020
IMG_20200911_213942926.jpg

Curious how many other people have had ESC catch fire.

I'm after age of ESC and how much it toasted. Pics would be good.
And what you managed to get replaced under warranty.

I know the electronics are bad in arrma but is it my bad luck.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello all
As per my title
Outcast v4 bought end of may 2020
View attachment 99467

Thanks in advance
Started a warranty claim yet? They are pretty backed up right now with issues I’m sure so you might wanna get on that list :)

Hi,

Same happened with my BLX 185 ESC in my Mojave. It was less than 2 months old. I felt this ESC is a bit undersized for the Mojave but as I see in the forum many guys have been using it without any issues so maybe I'm wrong. Moreover my ESC had many thermal shut down and the fan often stopped due to the debris so I afraid this was the main reason of the fire. I did not try to replace it under warranty but upgraded it to a MAX6 + 4985 combo.

With the new ESC I also had thermal shut down so I upgraded the ESC fan to a high speed one and bought shroud from Dusty Motor. Since then I have had no issues.

Started a warranty claim yet? They are pretty backed up right now with issues I’m sure so you might wanna get on that list :)
Only happened last night. Not sent back yet.
We should be on a first name terms as so far
Out drives died inside a month due to wonky dogbone pin. (Parts replaced under warranty).
I'm on my 4th transmitter (not that I use their junk just want to see if there is a Rx they make that works probably.
Power switch on ESC died repaired less than a month ago under warranty.
Servo died replaced under warranty.
Have emailed my supplier for them to deal with it.

I really don't want to have to buy another ESC motor. So will keep claiming till they send me something decent

??
Hi,

Same happened with my BLX 185 ESC in my Mojave. It was less than 2 months old. I felt this ESC is a bit undersized for the Mojave but as I see in the forum many guys have been using it without any issues so maybe I'm wrong. Moreover my ESC had many thermal shut down and the fan often stopped due to the debris so I afraid this was the main reason of the fire. I did not try to replace it under warranty but upgraded it to a MAX6 + 4985 combo.

With the new ESC I also had thermal shut down so I upgraded the ESC fan to a high speed one and bought shroud from Dusty Motor. Since then I have had no issues.
Thanks for the info.
I found most of my fan trouble was due to the wire coming away where it solders to the fan, resoldered and hot glue stops it snapping.

I've only been running electric for 3-4 years, but have yet to have a meltdown of anything electric that was visibly damaged. I've cooked the magnets in a motor, had a MMv2 (MXL-6S) die inexplicably and a traxxas vxl-3s start stuttering for no reason. Other than a small pile of esc/motor fans, a busted castle 3mm motor shaft and fried fets on a savox servo, those are the only casualties.

<knocks on wood furiously>

I'm running my blx185 in my stampede at the moment on 3S. Ran it in my outcast for a year on 4S and 6 months on 6S. Replaced it with a max6 to leverage a more capable bec in the esc and be able to gear up a tooth. I wasn't able to gear up though, so was a bit of a waste in that regard.

I wouldn’t say arrma’s electronics are bad. They’re very good. They’re one of the better groups out there. It’s not a common occurrence for a blx 185 to blow up. Any ESC manufacturer will have a few that catch fire though, its just the name of the game.

I've only been running electric for 3-4 years, but have yet to have a meltdown of anything electric that was visibly damaged. I've cooked the magnets in a motor, had a MMv2 (MXL-6S) die inexplicably and a traxxas vxl-3s start stuttering for no reason. Other than a small pile of esc/motor fans, a busted castle 3mm motor shaft and fried fets on a savox servo, those are the only casualties.

<knocks on wood furiously>

I'm running my blx185 in my stampede at the moment on 3S. Ran it in my outcast for a year on 4S and 6 months on 6S. Replaced it with a max6 to leverage a more capable bec in the esc and be able to gear up a tooth. I wasn't able to gear up though, so was a bit of a waste in that regard.
That’s funny as hell, I’d pound some wood in too. Thankfully I can count all of my esc fires on one hand, and a majority of them are from traxxas vxl3s escs in my old slash.

Maybe fan quit. Then warmed the esc up real good.
No had only had the ESC back from the supplier for less than 2 weeks (for another repair) and repaired the fan 2 days before and it was still running as pretended to be a firework.

Hello all
As per my title
Outcast bought end of may 2020
View attachment 99467

Thanks in advance
What size pinion gear where you running? If you bash with a high pinion gear, you put your electronics at risk. Maybe that’s what happened?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back