BLX185 low voltage cut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starryalley

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I thought the BLX185 Lipo low voltage cut is preset (and isn't adjustable) to 3.2V/cell. I'm wondering how I can know it is cut?
I've just been driven for about 10 times on my v2 Typhon and I found that the car suddenly can't move that fast even if I pull the trigger all the way out. I realize it may be the cut. I measure the cell and found the voltage is around 3.3-3.4V/cell. So the 3.2V/cell is measured under load, so that's why I see 3.4V right?

I read somewhere that there is a 2-stage low voltage cut. What does that mean? Did I reach the first stage or second?

@starryalley sounds like the BLX185 ESC is working as intended. The first stage of the LVC (low voltage cutoff) is a dramatic decrease in speed and power. The second stage of the LVC is to completely cut off all power.

While you could keep running the LiPo down to the second stage, I would stop and charge the battery once the first stage has been reached.

i have a similar issue with the cut off i think. The car is brand new, i have 2 very good 5s 5000mah packs fully charged that i use in my d8t conversion. I plug it in, it goes as it should for about 20 secs, or one straight blast, i turn to come back and it only goes a 1/4 the speed. i turn it off and its good again for another short blast then the same thing. Very frustraing, does it with both batteries, no flashing light or anything on the ESC, does the ESC think im running 6s and its now hitting it cut off?, anyway to adjust this or do i have to return this?

@chopper first welcome to Arrma Forum, glad to have you here.

I would suggest you contact Arrma Support to have your ESC replaced if it's still under warranty.

the email link you sent doesn't seem to work, does this actually mean a faulty esc?, can this not be swapped where i bought it? not really wanting to wait weeks for a replacement.

You can run 5s but you have to turn lvc protection off.
Yes - this is correct. I should invest in a voltage alarm. Haha. Off to Amazon I go!

Only thing that sucks is once you go to 5s then, you're stuck there. Or get multiple alarms for 4s and then 5s and 6s? That way you don't have to program it just to switch to 5s.

Oh well - I'll probably stick with 4s and 6s. 4s with the speed pinion is fantastic and probably getting somewhat close to what 5s feels like.

Edit - I do have a matching 2s pack that I can use with my 3s to make 5... Would be nice to use here and there. Also realized that the alarms seem to auto-detect (as the BLX-185 "should"). So any alarm should work.

Last edited:
OK so I hit the first stage cutoff. The speed is extremely slow when I have reached it. By the way I've run 3s, 4s or 2x3s=6s on my v2 Typhon and the low voltage cutoff works as in my first post in this thread. I got 5200mAh 35C packs and it gives me around 20min-25min to reach the cutoff.

One question about the voltage alarm. Is it waterproof? I tend to drive my typhon into water (as I'm quite new) since there are deep puddles along my outdoor track. Will it short the battery? I've submerged my 4s and 3s batteries for many times and there is no issues yet. Lipo is water and air tight but I'm afraid if attaching the voltage alarm will be a concern in water.

I ended up getting a lowvolt alarm to plug in, works good. Pathetic that 5s isnt supported by the esc. Thats all I have, box should say that as it would have affected my purchase. Im pleased with the car overall but this has got off to a bad start!

Box also doesn't day say not 5s compatible. Box actually says 2s or 3s, so implying many combinations. The esc will work for now in nimh mode until I swap in a mm2.

Actually on the ESC page on v2 typhon's manual it says 3s-6s support. But on the other part of the manual it only mentions 3s*2, 4s*1, 6s*1 combination. So I dropped ARRMA an e-mail asking about a single 3s and they replied it's fine as long as it's rated at least 5000mAh 35C. I didn't ask 5s because 5s batteries are so rare in my country.

...Box actually says 2s or 3s, so implying many combinations. ...

I think we are "picking nits" at this point, but my box from my v2 Typhon shows 2 batteries - which to me clearly indicate a pair running in series (right next to the picture of 2 XT90 connectors) and says 2S or 3S compatible. I would only ever assume that to mean 2x2S or 2x3S compatible.

I've never expected boxes/manuals to go out of their way to tell me what won't work, only what the manufacturer says WILL work. I have a difficult time seeing how anyone would expect/assume compatibility with 1x3S or 5S based on the information available to us before purchase.

I would be disappointed in your shoes as well, but I simply don't agree with the statement that the manufacturer had some obligation to inform us what battery combinations it is *not* compatible/recommended with. Fortunately as @starryalley mentioned they have un-officially OK'd using a 3S and we now know a 5S is fine just use an external LVC/Alarm.

I think we are "picking nits" at this point, but my box from my v2 Typhon shows 2 batteries - which to me clearly indicate a pair running in series (right next to the picture of 2 XT90 connectors) and says 2S or 3S compatible. I would only ever assume that to mean 2x2S or 2x3S compatible.

I've never expected boxes/manuals to go out of their way to tell me what won't work, only what the manufacturer says WILL work. I have a difficult time seeing how anyone would expect/assume compatibility with 1x3S or 5S based on the information available to us before purchase.

I would be disappointed in your shoes as well, but I simply don't agree with the statement that the manufacturer had some obligation to inform us what battery combinations it is *not* compatible/recommended with. Fortunately as @starryalley mentioned they have un-officially OK'd using a 3S and we now know a 5S is fine just use an external LVC/Alarm.

Indeed we are. Even tech support says it should work on 5s.
Most esc's have a range of input voltages, like up to 3s or 4s etc. I did "assume" that as it can handle 6s, 5s should be no problem. My experience is with higher end esc's like castle and tekin which can take any combination, my mistake to assume I guess.

I'm bumping this as I just received a BLX185 replacement ESC and I have been using 5s bricks with no issue on my V1 Kraton and Typhon.

Is the low voltage alarm after switching the LVC off the only "fix"?

I also have an assortment of 4s bricks and 3s packs as well.

Thanks

i have a similar issue with the cut off i think. The car is brand new, i have 2 very good 5s 5000mah packs fully charged that i use in my d8t conversion. I plug it in, it goes as it should for about 20 secs, or one straight blast, i turn to come back and it only goes a 1/4 the speed. i turn it off and its good again for another short blast then the same thing. Very frustraing, does it with both batteries, no flashing light or anything on the ESC, does the ESC think im running 6s and its now hitting it cut off?, anyway to adjust this or do i have to return this?
This forum is a few months ago but I opened my senton for the first time yesterday and the same exact thing that is/was happening to you was happening to me and I got frustrated and I seemed to have reset the ESC and now it works 100% thankfully. A freaking beast!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back