BLX185 review?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry-rigged

Have you seen my LVC?
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
Ok, guys - I have seen a lot of ya'll posting pics of your NIB BLX185 ESC's - buy not one person has said how it runs? What is going on, y'all ebaying them? Already replaced with something else?

If you are running the new BLX185. post up! Does it have the same throttle lag that the BLX180 has? How programmable is it? How is the LVC - solid, or twitchy / sensitive like some of the HobbyWings?

Thanks-
Jerry

Received the new BLX185 today, need to change the connectors first. When it is up and running, I will let you know.
Anyway it smelled a little bit burnt when I opened the box...

Any updates on this? My BLX180 has started to cut out intermittently, which I didn't really notice or care much about out bashing, but on the track it's a huge problem. I would love to think that the BLX185 was worth the trouble of doing the entire exchange process and rewiring everything, instead of throwing the 180 in the trash and buying something from HobbyWing or Castle.

After changing the connectors, i ran about 5 packs (4s) with it and no troubles at all.
It works just fine.

Happy for now,

Any updates on this? My BLX180 has started to cut out intermittently, which I didn't really notice or care much about out bashing, but on the track it's a huge problem. I would love to think that the BLX185 was worth the trouble of doing the entire exchange process and rewiring everything, instead of throwing the 180 in the trash and buying something from HobbyWing or Castle.

If you are going to buy new, why not get the Hobby Wing Max8? Same price, and comes with the programming card.

not looking good, got a brand new typhon yesterday with the newer 185 esc, i changed the esc ends to a deans type connector as all my cars run those. ran great for about 20 secs, then cut into reduced power mode. i run 5s and this is supposed to work with it. batteries are great so its not those, it changed it to nimh mode to test and it runs fine so i think the lipo cut off function is screwed up. also even tho programmed to it has no reverse. Guess its another one to send back.

Is the Deans connector the problem? They are only rated at 60A continuous, as opposed the the XT90s 90A continuous. Then there's possible soldering issues, not that I'm the world's best solderer.

Is the Deans connector the problem? They are only rated at 60A continuous, as opposed the the XT90s 90A continuous. Then there's possible soldering issues, not that I'm the world's best solderer.

No, i use deans on everything, my d8te runs fine with the mamba. 5s and a bigger motor, its faster and heavier. No issue with the solder joints either. Like I said. It runs fine in nimh mode. Speed controller doesn't like 5s.

Great ESC...been using this for couple of months now. Max temp so far is ~125F in >90F ambient temp, running on 5000mAh 6S (in typhon). The only issues I've had are:

- 5S battery. This ESC doesn't like 5S
- ESC, at one time, lost the reverse - easily fixed by resetting to factory default
- Range was too short (~150 feet, line of sight) - apparently, i fixed this by rotating the receiver 180 deg. I am now getting twice the range. Still not as far as my FUTABA could do but i'm happy with it.

Does anyone know what program card would work on this?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back