Vorteks BLX80 ESC "exploded"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nietrijker

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
Hi all,

My 4 weeks old Vorteks BLX (with BLX80) stopped yesterday after a 5 minutes run. I checked up closely and (luckily) removed the body. I switched it back on and a big flame came out of the ESC. White smoke and a terrible smell filled the back of my car where I was checking the Vorteks. I could pull the power plug easily and quickly, so there was no more (visible) damage than just the ESC (and a smelly interior of my car...).

I have the red type, BLX80. I've heard it can be replaced by the black BLX85. Is this true? Can I still use the same motor? Do I need a separate fan, as the BLX80 has a build-in one and the BLX85 does not seem to have one?

FYI, I'm using a 3S LiPo battery for running the Vorteks. (was a combi package from a local vendor)

Thanks for your feedback and support ;-)

IMG_1969.JPG

thnx WoodiE.

so BLX85 can replace the BLX80? at least it's a slightly cheaper solution ;-)

btw I which I had a video of the ESC explosion ... ;-) Would have been pretty cool to show.

In theorie you can replace with any other ESC which can handle the 80 Amps and have the settings what you want.
My girlfriend use an quickrun in their 1:10SC but just can handle only up to 3S.... (but that is more than enough!)

Actually both the 80 and 85BLX esc. are not rated at 80 Amperes continuesly, but to 60A. I made this mistake too, when I looked for one in my Mega Fury.

This makes any replacement a lot cheaper. Many affordable 60A options available, but mind that you have to check if the Esc. can handle 3S and a 3600kV motor (roughly a 9 to 10 turns brushless motor.

That said, 3S is ridiculous off road in that truck! With 2S you will have as much fun, and better handling. I have both battery types. And even on tarmac I was never able to go flat out on the 3S (because at full speed the car is traveling at 28 meters/ 30 yards a second!

Thanks all for your info, tips and suggestions. I've send a mail to the distributor in Belgium. Let's wait and see.

btw the other car (Granite Mega) also didn't came out of this run without any issue: The inner rear bearing is in pieces. Ahh well... we did have a lot of fun that day ;-)

IMG_5943.JPG

And now our hobby continues: repairing our babies... ;-)

Hi all,

Today the replacement BLX85 arrived. Great stuff, but I can't connect the engine: connectors are very loose. Do I need to crimp them in any way? Sorry for this stupid question, but I have never replaced an ESC before ;-) (used to nitro before)

Oops, I guess you mean the connectors between ESC and motor?

I think it is better to solder the connectors on the cables. You will need a bigger solder iron.
I tried also to crimp such connectors but they are not designed therefore.

It looks like my BLX85 ESC will finally be delivered this week with the correct connectors. After 9 weeks of waiting... Arrma is great, but their distribution partner in Belgium is not. Thanks to the local store I'll at least have something usable!!! They did a great job.

Still waiting for a fitting cover as the replacement they send me was not correct. Originally I have the red/white BLX cover, replacement was the blue Mega cover. Problem is the Mega does have 2 dents in the hood-area. These dents are hitting the front shock tower, so it does not fit unfortunately. But at least I should be able to run the car this weekend.

If this after sales service by the distribution partner in Belgium is the standard for Arrma, I think my next car will not be an Arrma anymore. Spare parts are a nightmare to get. I'm also waiting since Feb for a spare rear shock tower for my Granite. Also "out of stock"...

Yeah... it's back on the road, or better: off the road.

IMG_2309.JPG

Here you can see it with the new cover. The wheels are a temp solution, as my original's have to be glued again: last run really destroyed the previous glue... ;-))) But these temp wheels are kind-of nice looking. It's now a sort of Monster truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back