Boaters, I've got a few questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grihn

It's small, but it's fierce!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Senton 6s
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Vendetta
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
So, I've not owned an RC boat for many years. I enjoyed it in the past, but I never really had a place to run it frequently and ultimately I just never kept up with the times. Horizon just roped me into purchasing a Sonicwake 36" self-righting boat with their Winter discount. I've got a pretty large pond at my farm that I can run it at, plus there are a few lakes around if I really want to open it up. I'll run the thing on 3-4s for the time being until I get familiar with what I'm doing, but I have a few general questions regarding the boating part of the hobby.

1) What regular maintenance needs to be done that's different from the surface vehicles?
2) What are some standard upgrades you'd recommend and why? Bonus if it's specific to this boat. I hear props are a pretty common option...I like speed but being that I'll mostly be running on a pond, I'm fine with sticking to the 50-60mph range, and improved control will be beneficial.
3) I understand you don't get much runtime out of a single pack...does it do a typical "limp home" mode when the battery starts going flat, or do I need to have my john boat ready to retrieve it?
4) What annoys you or bothers you about RC boating?

1. Dry your shaft after every run and grease it before the next one. Every 10-15 runs oil the motor bearings, that’s all.
2. Better electronics, especially the esc, double cooling, larger connectors (8mm), larger adjustable trim tabs.
3. Single or double pack doesn’t matter as long as it’s above 5000mAh 6s. This boat really needs 6s to perform well. When it hits lvc you can still slowly get it back to shore.
4. Runtimes, this is a lipo devouring boat. 6s 6000mAh gave me 8-10 minutes runtime with a 4516 prop. And you need good quality lipo’s.

Last edited:
1. Dry your shaft after every run and grease is before the next one. Every 10-15 runs oil the motor bearings, that’s all.
2. Better electronics, especially the esc, double cooling, larger connectors (8mm), larger adjustable trim tabs.
3. Single or double pack doesn’t matter as long as it’s above 5000mAh 6s. This boat really needs 6s to perform well. When it hits lvc you can still slowly get it back to shore.
4. Runtimes, this is a lipo devouring boat. 6s 6000mAh gave me 8-10 minutes runtime with a 4516 prop. And you need good quality lipo’s.
Thanks for the input. I did pick up a few parts from RCBoatBitz...got their complete upgrade kit that has the dual outlet rudder, trim tabs and turn fins. I'll have to do some research on props...I've seen quite a few people run a 4814, but I haven't developed an understanding of what that means.

Thanks for the input. I did pick up a few parts from RCBoatBitz...got their complete upgrade kit that has the dual outlet rudder, trim tabs and turn fins. I'll have to do some research on props...I've seen quite a few people run a 4814, but I haven't developed an understanding of what that means.
Welcome, i also had the Boatbitz hardware, great products.
Setting up an RC boat can be a little confusing sometimes. Hull, prop (type and size), trim tabs, strut, weight and center of gravity all have effect on the handling of the boat.
I found this guy to be very helpfull (Ironclad RC), he's got a lot of howto video's

Nothing constructive to say but this
wedding crashers motorboat GIF

I have 2 sonicwake boats and run on 4S and 6S .... only issue I had was snapping a flex shaft......

I had never had a problem with shaft on 4S, but my first run on 6S snapped a shaft (it was cleaned and grease before the run). I lost the prop, the shaft failed near were it joined the solid part.
Turns out the issue was not leaving enough space between the rear of the prop strut and propeller drive dog. Apparently the flex shaft will shorten up under load, and if there is not enough spacing to allow that, the shaft will fail.
I now leave a 3 to 4 mm space and have never had a problem. I run the boat hard on 6S - fast acceleration and sometimes into reverse to avoid collision (girlfriend needs to improve her driving skills) - and have not had a shaft fail.
Each day, after running, you must remove the flex shaft, clean it, lube and re-install - make sure that 3-4mm space is left.

I also run a dual intake rudder on my boats - they are v1's - to keep everything cool.

I had to wait a few weeks for a new flex shaft and prop. I would recommend buying a couple of each as spares. Offshore Electrics sells upgraded props and shafts.

This boat is ok on 4S, but 6S is what it needs. And it does go through batteries fast, since it is full throttle 99% of the time.

And have a way to retrieve the boat if the shaft fails ..... swimming for it is very dangerous. And I run mine further than I could ever cast a fishing hook.

So, I've not owned an RC boat for many years. I enjoyed it in the past, but I never really had a place to run it frequently and ultimately I just never kept up with the times. Horizon just roped me into purchasing a Sonicwake 36" self-righting boat with their Winter discount. I've got a pretty large pond at my farm that I can run it at, plus there are a few lakes around if I really want to open it up. I'll run the thing on 3-4s for the time being until I get familiar with what I'm doing, but I have a few general questions regarding the boating part of the hobby.

1) What regular maintenance needs to be done that's different from the surface vehicles?
2) What are some standard upgrades you'd recommend and why? Bonus if it's specific to this boat. I hear props are a pretty common option...I like speed but being that I'll mostly be running on a pond, I'm fine with sticking to the 50-60mph range, and improved control will be beneficial.
3) I understand you don't get much runtime out of a single pack...does it do a typical "limp home" mode when the battery starts going flat, or do I need to have my john boat ready to retrieve it?
4) What annoys you or bothers you about RC boating?
Always good to have a John boat at the ready.
What bothers me about boating, is that I had 2, for my son and I. Mine was brand new and unused. My wife put them in the trash and when I looked for them, She told me they were just broken toys?? I immediately went to the trash, but she said they were thrown out a week ago. Never asked me or told me.
I told her to replace both of them. She asked how much. I told her better save up $400. to replace them. One was cheap, My new one was expensive. Never drove it. She laughed at me and never replaced them. I like boats also. Just that I refuse to buy them again because wifey was an idiot. On Principal and I always remind her of that. Still waiting for her to replace them. Never happening obviously. She has thrown out much of my stuff over the years, when at work. Tools, shop vac etc. My mistake for having the 2 boats on their stands up stairs on display shelf in my sons room.
All my Surface RC rigs are downstairs locked up.

Last edited:
What bothers me about boating, is that I had 2, for my son and I. Mine was brand new and unused. My wife put them in the trash and when I looked for them, She told me they were just broken toys?? I immediately went to the trash, but she said they were thrown out a week ago. Never asked me or told me.
I told her to replace both of them. She asked how much. I told her better save up $400. to replace them. One was cheap, My new one was expensive. Never drove it. She laughed at me and never replaced them. I like boats also. Just that I refuse to buy them again because wifey was an idiot. On Principal and I always remind her of that. Still waiting for her to replace them. Never happening obviously. She has thrown out much of my stuff over the years, when at work. Tools, shop vac etc. My mistake for having the 2 boats on their stands up stairs on display shelf in my sons room.
In short what bothers you about RC boats is that your wife throws them in the bin? :ROFLMAO:

I heard that when going to garage sales ...... wait until husband is not around and asked the wife if she has anything else to sell ... such as tools, golf clubs, etc. Bet she pulls out all sorts of things to sell.

I heard that when going to garage sales ...... wait until husband is not around and asked the wife if she has anything else to sell ... such as tools, golf clubs, etc. Bet she pulls out all sorts of things to sell.

That's when all the Really Sweet deals are really made...

This came in my mail with suggestions (dunno why :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:). Looks like a cool boat; I'm thinking a Fireteam with trailer to haul this to the lake?:ROFLMAO:

I just stumbled across this today. I am temped to buy one except for the fact that it comes with the worst radio on the planet the STX2..........................

^^^ Nice Air Boat. The motor will run cooler being ouside of the enclosed Hull.
It really needs the FT heads in it for the effect.:LOL:

I’d buy a new receiver to go with one of your radio’s or a dedicated DumboRC.
I have a Spektrum DX5C and a Radiolink RC6GS V2 so yeah I would totally buy another receiver. But then I am still stuck with that piss poor excuse of a radio no one is going to want to buy it and tossing it in the trash just creates unnecessary waste.

Last edited:
^^^Anything is better than the STX2.
A NewBright radio would even be better.
I have a Spektrum DX5C and a Radiolink RC6GS V2 so yeah I would totally buy another receiver. But then I am still stuck with that piss poor excuse of a radio no is going to want to buy it and tossing it in the trash is just creates unnecessary waste.
You could always donate it...a Tax write off. You might feel better about it.:LOL: Keeping it lying around in a bin is just sheer torture. Off it to someone.
Hopefully to someone you Don't know.:giggle:

^^^Anything is better than the STX2.
A NewBright radio would even be better.

You could always donate it...a Tax write off. You might feel better about it.:LOL: Keeping it lying around in a bin is just sheer torture. Off it to someone.
Hopefully to someone you Don't know.:giggle:
But I wouldn't wish that radio system on my worst enemy. :ROFLMAO:

I put an XLX2 in my 42" mono and tested all sorts of props so I could see exact RPMs and amperage loads via the data logs!
I tested 12-16 different props. Some 2 blade and some 3 blade.

I tried sharpening, balancing, and re-shaping my own and even have a nice professional made Dasbota prop. What I learned is that with boats, speed is all about RPMs. They drive through the water by turning like a drill bit. The more turns the faster it will move..... On 4s they all performed within 3-4 mph of each other. As you spin more rpms and get more speed the separation grows quite a bit more.

Out of all the props I own the Dasbota prop goes very fast, pulls the least amount of amps, and accelerates very good. His props are expensive but you are paying for 30+ years of experience and that quality.

As mentioned RC boats eat up batteries very quickly. 5-8 mins tops depending on how you run it. Also with that you are sucking high amperage the entire time so consider wire size and connector type that can handle this high amperage/wattage.

It is fun and I enjoy the boating side of RC. Speed is just as addicting on this boat side of the hobby too ;)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back