Bombproof shock rod ends?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I tear everything down once a month to clean and inspect each part.

Finally found the breaking point for this rod end setup :cool:

IMG_7677.PNG

IMG_7678.PNG

I've had them pull thru the plastic and clean snap off. I've adjusted the droop screws and still had the same problem. Ordering Tekno shock rod ends now. I hope the work.

Attachments

• 20190323_155951.jpg
    20190323_155951.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190302_190744.jpg
    20190302_190744.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 77
This is why I tear everything down once a month to clean and inspect each part.

Finally found the breaking point for this rod end setup :cool:

View attachment 22079

View attachment 22080
Old thread I'm sorry.... What's the part you used in the eyelet of these?
BUT these Tekno ball ends are almost impossible to find now a days.
IF I were to go with the 409 HD ones... You know what ball or part goes in that eyelet? I see some use the shims from the Traxxas 5529 kit but is there a better option?

Thanks bud

Last edited:
Old thread I'm sorry.... What's the part you used in the eyelet of these?
BUT these Tekno ball ends are almost impossible to find now a days.
IF I were to go with the 409 HD ones... You know what ball or part goes in that eyelet? I see some use the shims from the Traxxas 5529 kit but is there a better option?

Thanks bud

I was using aluminum spacers that I got at my local ace hardware. I think the part number is in my first post. That is what I have had the best luck with and the cheapest.

I was using aluminum spacers that I got at my local ace hardware. I think the part number is in my first post. That is what I have had the best luck with and the cheapest.
Thanks
You think those will work in the 409 as you are using them in the 203?
I have a v3 Kraton with the newer shocks and 4mm rods.
No if only Ace hardware was open right now.... Freggin Coronavirus

Thanks
You think those will work in the 409 as you are using them in the 203?
I have a v3 Kraton with the newer shocks and 4mm rods.
No if only Ace hardware was open right now.... Freggin Coronavirus
I will be 100% honest with you I don't remember the difference between the 409 and 203. I have had such great luck with this set up that I keep doing the same thing. A-main has Tekno ends in stock. My truck has been down for a bit (front diff input gear and "ring" gear) and I have started to get the itch to get back into it again. Both of my sons have granites and it's been bringing the itch back now that it's getting nice out again here in Wisconsin.

Edit: I went back and read some of what I wrote back then. The 203's we Nero shock rod ends I think, the spacers should work still. Yes they will work with the 4mm shafts. My outcast is a V3. The old shafts we 3.5 mm so when you thread these on they have a nice snug fit. same goes for the Tekno rod ends if memory serves me right.

I will be 100% honest with you I don't remember the difference between the 409 (Nero HD option) and 203. I have had such great luck with this set up that I keep doing the same thing. A-main has Tekno ends in stock. My truck has been down for a bit (front diff input gear and "ring" gear) and I have started to get the itch to get back into it again. Both of my sons have granites and it's been bringing the itch back now that it's getting nice out again here in Wisconsin.

Edit: I went back and read some of what I wrote back then. The 203's we Nero shock rod ends I think, the spacers should work still. Yes they will work with the 4mm shafts. My outcast is a V3. The old shafts we 3.5 mm so when you thread these on they have a nice snug fit. same goes for the Tekno rod ends if memory serves me right.
The 409 are the Nero HD ends.... I thought you were using the 203's?
Anyway. Are you using Tekno or Nero HD ends?
I'm leaning towards the Nero HD ones as they are more readily available, so the part from Ace HW should work with those correct?

Last edited:
Has anyone even broken a Nero HD end? Here it is compared to the stock one. The Nero ends look beefy as hell.

image.jpg

Has anyone even broken a Nero HD end? Here it is compared to the stock one. The Nero ends look beefy as hell.

View attachment 95068
I did a video on this and setting your droop. I use these they are the best for sure. They all break if you really send it and at times land wrong even with droop set correctly..... But done correctly they break way less. But honestly I just have some of the cheap RPM ones in my box for a quick swap out because you get like 10 for $5 or somthing like that.... I prefer the Nero for durability and at times RPM for the quick swap.
Check out my video if you like.... I have others on various things and of course BASHING/SENDING IT???

I prefer to have cheap ones that are the designed failure point and have a bunch of spares in my bash box. I want a little bit heavier but not too much stronger. I'd rather break a rod end than bend a shock rod or break something else.

I couldn't get the HD ones at LHS so I picked up a bag of Traxxas ends that are similar to the Nero ones and seem to do the job on my Notorious.

I prefer to have cheap ones that are the designed failure point and have a bunch of spares in my bash box. I want a little bit heavier but not too much stronger. I'd rather break a rod end than bend a shock rod or break something else.

I couldn't get the HD ones at LHS so I picked up a bag of Traxxas ends that are similar to the Nero ones and seem to do the job on my Notorious.
Yup.... Thats what I have, the traxxas RPM ends... Work fine and are definitely better than stock. I don't think you risk anything on failure points with the HD ones because they all bend and give.... They are not metal (don't go there), but the traxxas RPM ones are cheap and get the job done and you can have like 10 in your parts box and pop them on to replace with no care of money... Whenever I busted the HD ones I was annoyed.... I'm right there with ya man!

Looks like the latest upgrade to this on the Kraton V5s is ARA330608. Part is also listed in the V4 parts list now although the V4 diagram still lists the old part. Here's a couple of pics I found of the V5 vs V4 ends.
View attachment 124847
Thank you for this - with a Notorious and a Kraton EXB... I'll just order some right now. :)

EDIT: Oh those... turns out I have a bag of those. My LHS doesn't stock them for some reason. Oh well, I'll have more now. The best defense against breaking any part is having a spare part purchased and ready it seems. ;)

Last edited:
Looks like the latest upgrade to this on the Kraton V5s is ARA330608. Part is also listed in the V4 parts list now although the V4 diagram still lists the old part. Here's a couple of pics I found of the V5 vs V4 ends.
View attachment 124847
Thanks... ordered a set. No clue what I have on hand, but pretty sure I have HD ones as spares. Kneejerk amazon purchases seem to happen anyway!

UK stock seems to be lacking at the moment - I've ended up making one up with a bit of cutting and filing out of an old 3S rod end. Good enough to get be running again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back