Vorteks Boost vortex pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercer1987

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve recently bought myself the new boost vortex with the plan of eventually overtime upgrading it to the 4wd 3s, I’ve got the 4wd kit on pre order but my question is running it stock which pinion gear would I be able to upgrade to without causing over temping problems? I’m looking at the 18t but not sure how it would affect performance? I have got a 22t already from another car lying around but would jumping to that from the stock 14t be too much?

Hi guys, I’ve recently bought myself the new boost vortex with the plan of eventually overtime upgrading it to the 4wd 3s, I’ve got the 4wd kit on pre order but my question is running it stock which pinion gear would I be able to upgrade to without causing over temping problems? I’m looking at the 18t but not sure how it would affect performance? I have got a 22t already from another car lying around but would jumping to that from the stock 14t be too much?
I like either a 15 or 16T pinion on my 3s off-road cars. Helps the engine run a bit cooler, less cogging and I like the torque for Off road bashing. If you plan on keeping the brushed electrics you will need to get a 3.175mm bore pinion and probably 14t max pinion (48dp). If you upgrade to 3S brushless you’ll need 5 mm or pinion and .08 mod (32dp) gearing. Right now with the brushed version you have 48p gearing.

I know it’s a lot to absorb but you will come to understand as you go deeper into the hobby.

Yeah 22T will probably run too hot.
Follow what @Velodromed stated above.
Yeah… even the 18t that I tried was too much and it clogged a good bit. 16t seems to be the sweat spot for the stock motor/esc. At least for off road.

Thanks guys, It’s going to be left as 2s for a while, the stock pinion is already a 14 so I think I’ll grab a 16 and a 17 and see how it goes, also do anybody know if the boosts stock esc/reciever combo is programmable at all?

Thanks guys, It’s going to be left as 2s for a while, the stock pinion is already a 14 so I think I’ll grab a 16 and a 17 and see how it goes, also do anybody know if the boosts stock esc/reciever combo is programmable at all?
No, I don’t believe it is programmable. Make sure you have a temperature gun and watch your heat. Brushed motors can really run hot, especially under load, like with a higher tooth pinion and off road running.

Ok thanks guys, I’ve got myself a heat gun and I ordered the 16t and the 17t, what sort of temps should see before I start to worry? I have no idea what too hot would be?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back