Bottoming out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeaCue

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hey everyone! Do your Nero's bottom out easily over jumps? They sure seem to slap their bottom on the ground with most jumps. I've got the grooved skid plates to prove. I'm running my Nero RTR out of the box, so I don't know how well things were factory tuned but I did have the expectation that it would be quite dialed in suspension wise. So I'm asking if the bottoming out is typical for the Nero or if I've got a sloppy bottom that can be improved?

Hey everyone! Do your Nero's bottom out easily over jumps? They sure seem to slap their bottom on the ground with most jumps. I've got the grooved skid plates to prove. I'm running my Nero RTR out of the box, so I don't know how well things were factory tuned but I did have the expectation that it would be quite dialed in suspension wise. So I'm asking if the bottoming out is typical for the Nero or if I've got a sloppy bottom that can be improved?
I have moved the shocks in to the third hole and put 70wt oil in front and 60wt in rear. Also you can adjust the preload to help stop bottoming out by screwing shock retainers down and increasing the preload on the shocks. Stock is always soft in every rtr truck ive bought, how high are you jumping? A few feet or launching it? Be careful the shock rod ends and pushrod ends are weak and will break if ypur jumping it high.

Not jumping high yet until I get in-air control down, maybe 3-4 feet. It's just the landing sounds harsh. I'll get into shock rebuilding and tuning with different weight oils. Thanks for the tips!

Try turning up the preload you should be able to get it to land better with stiffer shox... i don't jump mine realy high but im on the hunt for better stronger rod ends... gonna check out some rpm yraxxas erevo ends... i will keep you updated as to replacements that are stronger...

My thinking is, better to bottom out the chassis than bottoming out the shocks before the chassis, if the shocks bottom out before the chassis hits the ground the impact will run through the shocks, mounts ect, probably why the rod ends are breaking?

They break beacuse they are weak. If your bottoming out and hitting chassis then your shocks are bottomed out... its not made to jump high and far lile rhe kraton is... i love my nero and now i have plenty of spare rod ends and shock ends i have adjusted preload and changed oil and moved them in to third hole. Ive had it out twice now with no breaks... hopeing that ive about git it dialed in. It still handles great and corners like a dream. Gott a 444oz/in savox servo in it as well...

They break beacuse they are weak. If your bottoming out and hitting chassis then your shocks are bottomed out... its not made to jump high and far lile rhe kraton is... i love my nero and now i have plenty of spare rod ends and shock ends i have adjusted preload and changed oil and moved them in to third hole. Ive had it out twice now with no breaks... hopeing that ive about git it dialed in. It still handles great and corners like a dream. Gott a 444oz/in savox servo in it as well...
Josh - Can you please speak to the differences between the Kraton and Nero ? I am planning on the Kraton 2.0 but I have two Mts already and was thinking maybe a 1/10 scale car like a HPI RSR Sport or a buggy maybe.

Josh - Can you please speak to the differences between the Kraton and Nero ? I am planning on the Kraton 2.0 but I have two Mts already and was thinking maybe a 1/10 scale car like a HPI RSR Sport or a buggy maybe.
The nero is a monster truck type vehicle the kraton is like a monster truggy... completely diffrent platforms, the kraton has an aluminum chasis with everything on top, easily accessible. The nero is more like an erevo but built much much better. Love both trucks, my kraton has badlands, 16 tooth pinion, 70 wt front 60 wt rear shock oil, tekno orange 90mm springs on all 4 corners, 100k rear diff 50k center diff 50k and a touch of 100k in front diff. Nero has same combo of shock oil and diff lube. If i was to vuy another nero it would be the one without the lockers. Nothing wrong with lockers just i don't use them much... kraton jumps high, its fast, tons of fun... nero is also fun it does not jump as well as the kraton but im working on getting it dialed in... nero has more tunability with shocks and diff lockers. I am buying a talion or typhoon to make in to my fast as hell street car...

Hey josh, do you think you will end up filling the locking diff holes in your nero diffs? have seen this done on another forum, seems a shame to loose the locking ability. Only an hour to go before my nero bits turn up! Oops need another charger, twin port traxxas ID charger will not take the xt-90`s of the onyx lipos, any suggestions?

Hey josh, do you think you will end up filling the locking diff holes in your nero diffs? have seen this done on another forum, seems a shame to loose the locking ability. Only an hour to go before my nero bits turn up! Oops need another charger, twin port traxxas ID charger will not take the xt-90`s of the onyx lipos, any suggestions?
I had adapters made when i had traxxas chargers... but i have sold off all my traxxas batteries and chargers... i now have a venom duo pro 2 charger and love it. I have the onyx batteries 5400mah 3s 50c and i just ordered 7200mah 70c spc batteries. I also need to get myself a soldering stationary i take all my stuff to lhs and have him do my soldering.

Will have a look for your charger, not sure venom stuff available here in the UK. Just realised this not your thread about your nero, will direct my question there, apologies to the thread starter kinda gone off topic, moderators feel free to bin anything I say...

Will have a look for your charger, not sure venom stuff available here in the UK. Just realised this not your thread about your nero, will direct my question there, apologies to the thread starter kinda gone off topic, moderators feel free to bin anything I say...
I have a Venom Dual too josh - LOVE it. Solid and fast. Hey - do you use fast charge or charge? I use charge for overnight and if Im just popping outside - I use fast charge.

The nero is a monster truck type vehicle the kraton is like a monster truggy... completely diffrent platforms, the kraton has an aluminum chasis with everything on top, easily accessible. The nero is more like an erevo but built much much better. Love both trucks, my kraton has badlands, 16 tooth pinion, 70 wt front 60 wt rear shock oil, tekno orange 90mm springs on all 4 corners, 100k rear diff 50k center diff 50k and a touch of 100k in front diff. Nero has same combo of shock oil and diff lube. If i was to vuy another nero it would be the one without the lockers. Nothing wrong with lockers just i don't use them much... kraton jumps high, its fast, tons of fun... nero is also fun it does not jump as well as the kraton but im working on getting it dialed in... nero has more tunability with shocks and diff lockers. I am buying a talion or typhoon to make in to my fast as hell street car...
I am getting my unassembled Super Swampers today / tomorrow - I am taping the foam so no ballooning pizza pies. I absolutely LOVE them on the nero. I was going to get the Kraton stock wheels - Ive heard they are fantatsic but - F-It. Im getting the Kraton bud with my next commission check. The Kraton first caught my eye back in February and I was hesitant because of parts availability ..... not anymore!!

As I thought Venom charger not available in the UK. I had a set of 50c venom lipos a while back, second hand and a bit too fat for the revo, went well though

I bought the hi tec x2 plus charer and am very happy with it. It's my first lipo charger amd the menus are intuitive and reviews were good as well. It's about $100 but there are discount codes that will bring it lower to around $80(?)

I use fast charge and every 3 or 4 charges i use balance charge... it seems to balance all cells even when I use fast charge... ive heard good things about the hitec chsrgers as well that was my other option.

I'm experimenting on bigger tires for crawling and Jumping.
I will have a video soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back