Kraton Brakes stop working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Wiegs

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
The brakes on my Kraton stop working after I have been running for a while. If I let the truck sit for 10 minutes to cool down they work again for a little bit. Motor temp never got above 120. Anybody have an idea what my be the problem? Forward and reverse work with no issues. I am running a castle mamba monster x and castle 1515 motor.

Are you running sensored and did you check ESC temps? May be a good idea to run data logging to see what’s going on when you notice the brake not working.
I am running sensored. Esc temp did rise to 145. First time the brakes stoped was at 120 degrees.

Forward and reverse work after the brakes stop working? With full power?

And when you say the brakes quit working, what do you mean, completely quit working or not as powerful?

Yes.
Forward and reverse work after the brakes stop working? With full power?

And when you say the brakes quit working, what do you mean, completely quit working or not as powerful?
Forward and reverse full power. Yes. At least it seemed so. Breaks slowly get worse. Until nothing at all.

Ok, I’ve had my MMX up to 180 degrees on a hot day running in tall grass and didn’t experience this and I’m running a Chinese motor.

@Peeeenuuutt is the Castle guru on here so let’s call him in here. He’s pretty savvy on this stuff.

Last edited:
Definitely something castle themselves will help you out with. As you said it only happens when it gets hot, and from what you described it seems like it's linear as the temp goes up, the brakes go down. Something's definitely wrong with your ESC because a mamba monster X will never get that hot with your motor is at 120 degrees. Yeah something's wrong. It's effectively made your esc turn into a boat esc, because clearly when you're using the brakes the speed control gets super hot, and the internal function used for braking is flawed from some program change you made or, if you haven't touched it, flawed in manufacturing, and therefore gets worse and worse because it's overheating. (Boat esc's hate the wacky ampflow of braking a land vehicle, hence why you can't use a boat esc in a truck for those wondering) and it seems like your MMX is trying to become a marine esc, which isn't good.

Did you mess with it at all in castle link? Maybe you put it into the sensored only mode by accident? (They say that if you're using their motors never use the sensored only function, use the stock function) and that could be throwing all that stuff in the paragraph above off.

Just some $0.02 for anyone else: Castle's smartsense motors don't like running fully sensored, can throw some esc's off, so they don't recommend using full sensored mode. They are designed to start in a sensoed mode until they're out of cogging range, and then becomes sensorless at the high rpm's, so they'll never be braking in sensored mode at high speeds by design... and if you force it to stay sensored, it'll get angry and heat up the esc. If the op isn't running in fully sensored mode and is running the proper setting, castle should replace it.

Last edited:
Quick update. Finally got a chance to drive again After resetting the throttle sync. Same issues still. Will call Castle back tomorrow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back