Big Rock Brand New Big Rock Ran in Wet Field After Rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keaton228

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Brand-new Arrma Big Rock, ran in wet field after rain. Do I need to break it down?

It’s been a couple days since I ran it and it seems pretty dry. I dried everything off as good as possible with air and took the wheels off, dried them and the hexes. Do I need to take out the bearings if it ran in wet grass? The inside of the car got pretty wet but not like it got submerged. Needless to say I’m not going to run in wet weather again lol. But again, it’s brand-new so I don’t want to break it down totally for a cleaning yet if not needed. I feel like I may just being OCD about this. Just seen some people who break down their cars if they get a drop of water on them.

Brand-new Arrma Big Rock, ran in wet field after rain. Do I need to break it down?

It’s been a couple days since I ran it and it seems pretty dry. I dried everything off as good as possible with air and took the wheels off, dried them and the hexes. Do I need to take out the bearings if it ran in wet grass? The inside of the car got pretty wet but not like it got submerged. Needless to say I’m not going to run in wet weather again lol. But again, it’s brand-new so I don’t want to break it down totally for a cleaning yet if not needed. I feel like I may just being OCD about this. Just seen some people who break down their cars if they get a drop of water on them.
Hi and welcome!

Not my area of expertise since I avoid the wet. Guessing here and there are others better than me on this. Yes, I would have dried it. Next thing I would have done which I do not use, is WD40 since it is a water displacement. Water gets in places you cannot dry. I would do some WD40 around all the bearings, bellhousing, diff housing, front/back wheel bearings etc. let that sit.

One place on the 3S that is bad just on a normal day is the power module. The bearing between the rear diff housing and the motor module gets dirty really fast. One I check after 2-3 runs and I take off the wheels to check the inner/outer bearings 2-3 runs. Those two areas are my regular checks.

Only negative I have with WD40 is that it collects dirt. Great for water displacement.

The electronics are waterproof and the bearings are sealed. I wouldn’t worry about it. Many people frequently run in rain or snow with no problems.

I just make sure to dry the car with air after getting it wet.
Thank you for this. I plan on cleaning it after it runs a good bit. Just wasn’t sure if it’s overkill after one run in a wet field.
Hi and welcome!

Not my area of expertise since I avoid the wet. Guessing here and there are others better than me on this. Yes, I would have dried it. Next thing I would have done which I do not use, is WD40 since it is a water displacement. Water gets in places you cannot dry. I would do some WD40 around all the bearings, bellhousing, diff housing, front/back wheel bearings etc. let that sit.

One place on the 3S that is bad just on a normal day is the power module. The bearing between the rear diff housing and the motor module gets dirty really fast. One I check after 2-3 runs and I take off the wheels to check the inner/outer bearings 2-3 runs. Those two areas are my regular checks.

Only negative I have with WD40 is that it collects dirt. Great for water displacement.
So you think it’s ok to run it a few times before cleaning? I definitely dried what I could with air.

Thank you for this. I plan on cleaning it after it runs a good bit. Just wasn’t sure if it’s overkill after one run in a wet field.

So you think it’s ok to run it a few times before cleaning? I definitely dried what I could with air.
Did you clean it as soon as you were done!?

Being new, I do not think you killed anything. Keep running it... What I would do if you did not want to break it down it (understandable) hit the bearings you can spray with some silicone spray. I do this after each run once I air blow it and dust it off a bit. I spray all moving parts: pivot balls, f/r bearings, thing pings, around the steering bellhousing, etc.

It's not WD40, just a good silicone spray to protect and lubricate. Optional, hit it with some of that after a bash. I feel you will be A-OK to keep bashing.

What I use, but there are far cheaper options:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/cow-rc-mooslick-lube-protectant-cpp-c35011111/p825361

Being new, I do not think you killed anything. Keep running it... What I would do if you did not want to break it down it (understandable) hit the bearings you can spray with some silicone spray. I do this after each run once I air blow it and dust it off a bit. I spray all moving parts: pivot balls, f/r bearings, thing pings, around the steering bellhousing, etc.

It's not WD40, just a good silicone spray to protect and lubricate. Optional, hit it with some of that after a bash. I feel you will be A-OK to keep bashing.

What I use, but there are far cheaper options:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/cow-rc-mooslick-lube-protectant-cpp-c35011111/p825361
Thanks for this! Dumb noob question—are the bearings you’re talking about the wheel bearings? Do I remove the hexes to access those? Is there anywhere I shouldn’t hit with silicone spray? I was looking at picking some of this up at Walmart today.

B4B90166-750E-4305-8215-77F76BBDBC0C.jpeg

If you are nervous that didn't dry everything, then take it apart to verify.

The only places I would think might need faster drying would be the power module. If water gets inside there it will take quite a while to air dry.

Personally after I run in the wet/snow/mud, i put RC's in the spare bathroom tub and open the vent then close the door so the room gets super warm. Helps dry things off faster.

Personally after I run in the wet/snow/mud, i put RC's in the spare bathroom tub and open the vent then close the door so the room gets super warm. Helps dry things off faster.

I do similar, but I also have a de-humidifier I put in the bathroom, really dries things out!

Thanks for this! Dumb noob question—are the bearings you’re talking about the wheel bearings? Do I remove the hexes to access those? Is there anywhere I shouldn’t hit with silicone spray? I was looking at picking some of this up at Walmart today.

View attachment 260742
After a bash, I remove the tires but not the hex. I will blow and then use a paintbrush to work the best I can around the wheel bearings and other areas of the RC. Once I have cleaned it enough, I spray the area front and back with the hex on. I only spray the silicon on moving mechanical parts, not any electronic items. Pivot balls on front/back, suspension links, hinges, steering where bearings are housed in the bell housing, etc.

I do that after each run....because on the 5th run, I take the hex off to look at the bearings. Or if turning them by hand, I hear the crunchy, gritty sound of dirt, sand, etc. from bashing I need to look at the inner/outer wheel bearing closer to spin them. Replace if crunchy or catchy.

For my 3S & 6S rigs, I keep lots of wheel bearings on hand...I bash in the dirt, not grass so they will go bad fast....nature of the beast.

Another user confirmed it, the one area to keep an eye on is the bearing between the power module...just collects dirt.

Diagram is expanded out but the bearing passes through here...

1670354527949.png

Wow! Thank you so much for the thorough reply. I plan on taking wheels off today again, blowing some more, and checking that module bearing. Not sure if I’ll be able to find a good lube in town. May have to order mooslick or something. I have silicone wd-40 but pretty sure it contains petroleum so I know that’s no bueno.

Is this normal for a brand new hex? This chunk fell off as I took it off. Kind of annoying honestly since it’s a brand new truck

image.jpg

Yea.. thats the pin that came out when you loosened the grub screw.. just clean up the grub screw and hole.. then throw a little threadlock on it when u tighten down the grub!!

Yea.. thats the pin that came out when you loosened the grub screw.. just clean up the grub screw and hole.. then throw a little threadlock on it when u tighten down the grub!!
I’m talking about the chunk missing below where the screw is sticking out. The metal is missing a chunk that just fell off. The others aren’t like that. Think it is a defective hex. So annoying since it’s brand new.

I dry mine with a air dryer after running in wet grass then a coat of wd40 or silicone spray. I also spray the car before I go out

Is this normal for a brand new hex? This chunk fell off as I took it off. Kind of annoying honestly since it’s a brand new truck

View attachment 260852
I am not the pro on 3S...but I have not had that happen to any of my hex on 3x of those rigs they have been bashed hard. It is unfortunate, so just call that a bad one and get another. It is not a common post I have seen that happens on the 14mm hex.... I am open to correction by others here :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back