Brand new BRCC problems please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegunsmith

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hello everybody! This is my first post on the forum but I wish it was under better circumstances. I received my big rock on march 8th and I was loving it, until 20 minutes into my first battery I broke the front suspension arm(it was my fault, I hit a curb). I got that repaired the next day and everything was fine. Today while bashing around, all of a sudden my truck stopped moving and was making a horrible noise. I took it home and tore the car apart and found the problem to be one of the gears in the motor mount was completely shot. I need advice on a good replacement gear, preferably an upgraded one because I only have 2 hours drive time with the car and the gear is already done. Does that seem normal for one of these to burn up after only 2 hours of run time on the truck? I went with arrma due to everyone saying that they are super tough, but I am being proven wrong in my first few days of ownership... Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_180643.jpg
    IMG_20190311_180643.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20190311_181123.jpg
    IMG_20190311_181123.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 93
I hope those aren't 48p... someone chip in. (Edit thankfully they aren't not 48p, so it was definitely a meshing problem as I said below)

Also don't buy a metal spur for a replacement. Causes more problems and risk than it helps, I recommend replacing it with the same plastic unit and making sure to mesh it properly. That was probably the issue.

Looks like this is a direct drop in.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...SVS8GGzjx-t9ZNaJwqKRzkmexkmkUG7YaAkarEALw_wcB

I hope those aren't 48p... someone chip in. (Edit thankfully they aren't not 48p, so it was definitely a meshing problem as I said below)

Also don't buy a metal spur for a replacement. Causes more problems and risk than it helps, I recommend replacing it with the same plastic unit and making sure to mesh it properly. That was probably the issue.

Looks like this is a direct drop in.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...SVS8GGzjx-t9ZNaJwqKRzkmexkmkUG7YaAkarEALw_wcB
Thank you for the fast reply and information, I'm new to the hobby in general so would you mind explaining to me what meshing is? Also how would I go about meshing it properly? Thanks

I've been messing with the spur gear but I can't figure out how to get it apart from the piece that sits inside of it. Anybody here know how to do it?

Well yet another one burned out, along with numerous other problems after owning the brcc for less than a week, I think I will fix it up and sell it. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Also if anyone knows how to properly mesh the gears on the BRCC, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows how to properly mesh the gears on the BRCC, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.
Setting the mesh correct means sliding your motor left or right so there is a little space between the pinion and the spur gear. Look on youtube for howto's.
The problem with this motor mount is that it has holes instead of slots so you can't set the mesh, it's fixed.

I have had exactly the same problem. Also blew a motor bearing.
The solution is to buy the Hot Racing adjustable motor mount.
The second problem is, when driving in sand, al lot of it ends up in the gearbox. there is a hole in the front, which can be covered and you could make a slot in the chassis to let it out.
But i dislike the design and sold it.

See this thread for more info (page 4):

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/big-rock-crew-cab.8411/page-5

This is very uncommon I think. Mine holds up probably in the magnitude of 50x of the 2 hours you got without any issues.

This setup doesn’t require manual mesh adjustment as the motor have a discrete mouning points on the motor plate. If you use the 15t pinion (which is what comes stock) then all you need to do is mount the motor on the holes with the 15 markings.

I would suspect two possible sources for this, either the motor screws wasn’t tight enough and there was play in the motor, or the spur or motor bearings are bad and they have play in them.

Anyway I would find the problem before installing more spur gears, and I would not upgrade to something other than stock and it’s not a weak point as far as I know. Definitely not for me.

I would also check if the slipper clutch is not too tight by doing a test like this:
(avoid his explanation about diff barking, it’s not related)

The car should rise to around 45 degrees, and not fully to the top. If it does raise to the top you need to loosen the clutch until you get 45 degrees.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@JvG @Yonic I just realized that there is play in my pinion gear, what is this? A bad bearing in the engine? Bad engine?
Please refer to my video above.

Yes. For sure it the source of your problems. It’s a bad bearing inside the motor. Arrma should warrent it and give you a new motor (and maybe a spur as well)

Yes. For sure it the source of your problems. It’s a bad bearing inside the motor. Arrma should warrent it and give you a new motor (and maybe a spur as well)
At least I've found the problem. Also found a different seized bearing. While removing the screws to get the motor mount apart from the engine, The screw broke and now half of it is stuck in the motor. What a wonderful experience I am having with arrma.

@JvG @Yonic I just realized that there is play in my pinion gear, what is this? A bad bearing in the engine? Bad engine?
Please refer to my video above.
That is the problem. Your front motor bearing is bad. The same thing happened to me with mine. I contacted Horizon about it, but unfortunately the motor is out of stock for now. U can order replacement motor bearings from Jims Bearings and rebuild the motor yourself. It is not very hard to do at all.
don't give up on the Big Rock. When they are acting right, it is a very fun truck.

I'm hoping that Amain will just send me a whole new truck, but I doubt I will get that lucky based on my experience so far.

What a wonderful experience I am having with arrma.
You're right, that's not good.

I know It's anecdotal, but i have 4 trucks from them, plus 2 more of friends, and i had nothing wrong.. but that doesn't help you.
I hope they'll replace the parts for you and you'll enjoy it at the end. I do think it's a really good truck.

That is the problem. Your front motor bearing is bad. The same thing happened to me with mine. I contacted Horizon about it, but unfortunately the motor is out of stock for now. U can order replacement motor bearings from Jims Bearings and rebuild the motor yourself. It is not very hard to do at all.
don't give up on the Big Rock. When they are acting right, it is a very fun truck.
I believe that it's a very fun truck, I've had a lot of fun in my short time I've actually been able to drive it. My main question now is it even worth my time and effort to fix it? After all of the problems I've had on my brcc(my first Arrma) i'm just not sure if its's worth my time.

For anyone who is interested or might be having the same problem as me, I just got off the phone with horizon. I was told on the phone that they should be able to help me out, finally some good news. Anyways I had to email them part numbers for everything that is broken/defective. Those parts include the spur gear, center driveshaft, center driveshaft high speed support, the BLX3660 engine, and a few bearings that were seized in the slipper clutch. I hope they will make it right and give me what is needed to fix my brcc. Fingers crossed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back