Brand new diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltystevo

Reaction score
Got my new v4 kraton diff from jennysrc.
Unfortunately they don't know if they shipped me a front or a rear so unless there is a way to tell I have to replace the brand new oil.

Do I use naptha to clean it out or since it's new just drain it?

Will mineral spirits work as well or take to long?

Draining tips?

I can't find naptha at home depot or Walmart, is it a special order or do I need to visit a paint store?

Use regular gear grease or? And how much, just a coating on gears?

What happened was my smaller drive shaft cup gear and larger gear grinded down some. I noticed after that the cup had allen screw and was pulled away from diff a tad.
Once I loosened and pushed cup towards diff, tightened it took the play out.
Maybe a big hit pulled the cup away from diff which caused it to grind?

Thanks for any help

The front and rear use the same oil on a V4 and are interchangeable, you can get naphtha at a paint store and I completely take mine apart to drain, clean and inspect, I use white lithium grease on the exterior. And the damage looks to be caused by a hard landing pushing the pinion into the spur which is exasperated by the little bit of a gap you had there

The front and rear use the same oil on a V4 and are interchangeable, you can get naphtha at a paint store and I completely take mine apart to drain, clean and inspect, I use white lithium grease on the exterior. And the damage looks to be caused by a hard landing pushing the pinion into the spur which is exasperated by the little bit of a gap you had there
Front and rear have the same weight oil? I thought I read differently but in any case what weight do they both have?

Front and rear have the same weight oil? I thought I read differently but in any case what weight do they both have?
10k stock I think

is anyone had issues with the thickness of this product vs stock or am I just over thinking it ? I don't want it to cause any slop in my gears

So it appears some of the diff gears are a little mowed down. So everything is glossed over with oil but there was zero oil inside. Absolutely nothing to drain. It also only had 3 shims instead of the 4 for each one of the smaller gears.
Is any of this normal?

So it appears some of the diff gears are a little mowed down. So everything is glossed over with oil but there was zero oil inside. Absolutely nothing to drain. It also only had 3 shims instead of the 4 for each one of the smaller gears.
Is any of this normal?
View attachment 36580View attachment 36581

It’s a bit weird that there’s so little oil in there but it’s not uncommon for diffs to leak, the shim on the other hand should be in there, you can contact horizon and they will likely ship you some under warranty.

9DE80D75-E40E-4AEC-9010-CE715ADB7816.png

Soooo... I installed a V4 diff last night and I'm curious to know how stiff they are new.
With the center diff dogbone locking it, i turn the hub nut and its pretty tight. Is that normal? My rear is obviously broken in but feels twice or more loose.
I'm just wondering before I crack it open and find nothing or maybe shims are too tight.
Is that due to break in or do you think the factory over shimmed or double shimmed by mistake?
It just feels rather tight and I can hear every tooth when I turn it clearly.
Please let me know your thoughts, thanks

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back