Typhon Brand new Typhon 6s v5 servo stuttering - A Christmas dud!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushlessholic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
So Santa brought my son a new Typhon 6S v5. We just charged the lipo and I was adjusting the steering end points and the servo is stuttering!? Is this a bad servo? If so is this the quality I can expect from Arrma? This was my first Arrma and probably my last. I was an HPI guy and still would be if parts were easy to get.

Just looking at the Typhons servo mount - when slightly turning the wheels (not even to full lock), the mount's flexing like crazy and there's a lot of slop in the wheels. From doing my research the Typhon seemed to be solid but this is a disappointment. I've had several R/C cars / trucks throughout the years. I know things can happed but I've never had a dud out of the box that needed parts upgraded.

I had a Tmaxx (nitro) back in 2003, no issues rock solid
I had a RS4 (nitro) back in 2003, no issues rock solid
I had a RS4 3 SS (nitro) back in 2005, no issues rock solid
I had a Vorza Flux HP (electric) back in 2013, no issues rock solid
I had a Savage Flux HP (electric) back in 2013, no issues rock solid
I had a Losi 8ight-T 3.0 (electric) back in 2017, no issues rock solid

Stock servos are garbage and tend to go out fast. Though I've never seen a servo do what yours is doing. I think most people upgrade the servo at soonest opportunity. A lot of people here use this It's only 30$ from Amazon and a lot better than stock servo. I'd try a little more troubleshooting but if I were you, I'd just order the Amazon servo and contact Horizon Hobby about the stock servo. They will replace it for you very easily and then you will have a spare.

Oh and if you change servos you will also need a 25t servo horn like this

The steering in my v5 Typhon was way over calibrated extending the servo well past its capabilities. I had to reduce the steering travel quite a lot of the servo would have been toast after a run or 2.

You say there is slop is the wheels? That is one thing that was so much better in my 6s Typhon vs 3s Typhon. No slop in the wheels. The build quality was just so much better with the 6s. You might want to remove the wheels and check your bearings are ok.

You gotta shim those hex's and set ur end points way down.. Is it stuttering when u fully extend it one way or the other.. Also rebind and calibrate the transmitter

My felony does this on my dx5 rugged but its because the action on the tx is super sensitive🤣.. If i just let go of the wheel it does this exact thing, try turning down the steering rate cuz mine is way up!!😎

Look at just bash it or basherqueen for a servo mount. That'll stiffen it up as well.

Try turning the ESC of and back on I had connection issues with the reciever and remote with my V5 also but usually would be fine after turning off and back on.

I turned down the BEC from 7.4v to 6v and it helped a lot. It’s still stuttering but not like how it was in the video. It’s manageable but the steering it still a little squirrelly so yeah time for a new servo and mount.

I’m just glad my son got to run it yesterday and today. Nothing like seeing him smile.

I have some other questions about modding the Typhon but I’ll start a new thread.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back