Brand new XLX2 leaking epoxy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotauq

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
I don't know what to think of this, taking a brand new XLX2 out of the box.
It seems the top layer of the exoxy resin never hardened and spilled out:

1660741910501.png
1660742002661.png

1660742062460.png

1660742083939.png

Confirmed it's only to the top layer. It's still wet and sticky. I managed to wipe it of.
Left an old XLX2, right the new one cleaned up.

1660742119456.png

For sure it's gonna run fine. It's only missing ~2mm of epoxy, which could weaken the rigidity of the connectors.

Castle's QA could be better. Also see this corner of the cover (which was on the leaking side)

1660741947449.png

View attachment 236797View attachment 236799
View attachment 236800
View attachment 236801

Confirmed it's only to the top layer. It's still wet and sticky. I managed to wipe it of.

View attachment 236802

For sure it's gonna run fine. It's only missing ~2mm of epoxy, which could weaken the rigidity of the connectors.

Castle's QA could be better. Also see this corner of the cover (which was on the leaking side)

View attachment 236798
That doesn't look right. Did you buy it from an authorized dealer? If so, I would get in contact with Castle and open up a case. That ESC is very expensive and I would be weary to use it like that. Heck, some XLX2 have been known to catch on fire from just turning them on for the first time. That's what I would do.

Is it epoxy or conformal coating or some kind of potting compound that never cured?

I'd be fine with that on some 1/10 scale ESC but not on an XLX2. Sucks to get something like that brand new out of the box but I would have Castle make it right on a premium ESC.

I desoder c motor port other day...I'm adding extra epoxy to all 5 ports on them from now on.im fn done pulling out ports on the xlx2.tech said no way to soder back on correctly..must be sodered from underneath

I desoder c motor port other day...I'm adding extra epoxy to all 5 ports on them from now on.im fn done pulling out ports on the xlx2.tech said no way to soder back on correctly..must be sodered from underneath
The tech is lying. Both Jamie Morrison and Zagert have both successfully soldered ports back on.

Is it epoxy or conformal coating or some kind of potting compound that never cured?

I'd be fine with that on some 1/10 scale ESC but not on an XLX2. Sucks to get something like that brand new out of the box but I would have Castle make it right on a premium ESC.
If you compare the thickness of the Epoxy layer on the two ESCs, I'm pretty sure it's epoxy. The right ESC has almost none. Visually it certainly looks like epoxy.
GUYS!!!!!!!! CASTLE CREATIONS IS REPLACING MY XLX2 UNDER MY WARRANTY!!!!! ALL MY HARD WORK DOING RESEARCH ON CONSUMER WARRANTY RIGHTS PAID OFF!

YOU NOW HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED RIGHT HERE TO DEFEND YOUR WARRANTY RIGHTS.
Your welcome🫵😎🧠, please check out my R/c channel👇 TOYS FOR BOYS RC👇
https://youtube.com/channel/UCkVnTKTVloRMmxzMZHQMuFA

View attachment 236797View attachment 236799
View attachment 236800
View attachment 236801

View attachment 236802

View attachment 236798
Personally, I'd pack that thing right back up and RETURN TO SENDER!!! Holy balls, that's a serious manufacturing & QC oversight.

Looks like the QC of Castle’s premium esc department was taking a power nap.
Everybody makes mistakes, but this can be spotted within one second by anyone who has at least one of their eyes open.
Hope they sort it out!

I've send an email to the place of purchase. I've bought it here in NL and gives me EU consumer protection.

I am still willing to try it as i am honestly to lazy to ship it back. I'll wait for the blessing of the dealer.
Yeah, honestly, I would like take the time to ship it. If it goes bad after running it, then you STILL would have to ship it anyways.

Dealer is like "as long as the electronics arent exposed it should be fine"
HELL NO!! I'd tell him, "If you think it's fine, you can use it. Send me a new one. The structural integrity of this one is compromised. No deal."

Dealer is like "as long as the electronics arent exposed it should be fine"

HELL NO!! I'd tell him, "If you think it's fine, you can use it. Send me a new one. The structural integrity of this one is compromised. No deal."

Kinda this. If the epoxy was never cured, then it can still flow and it’s only a matter of time before more of it may leak out. Sounds like the dealer is being lazy and doesn’t want to deal with it.

Kinda this. If the epoxy was never cured, then it can still flow and it’s only a matter of time before more of it may leak out. Sounds like the dealer is being lazy and doesn’t want to deal with it.
Prezactly. The epoxy does serve a purpose. It helps anchor the jacks to the board. And 1mm of properly cured epoxy will be many times stronger than a quarter mm of improperly cured epoxy. It's not there for decoration. If the majority of it didn't cure, then what remains on the ESC is highly unlikely to be cured properly. Sure, you could epoxy it yourself but, do you think in case you need to warranty the thing at some point this will help or hurt your case? They'll probably ask (rightfully I might add), "What happened to the epoxy on this ESC? That's not ours. DIY repairs aren't covered under warranty. That'll be $160." I wouldn't even consider keeping that ESC. But, that's me.

Prezactly. The epoxy does serve a purpose. It helps anchor the jacks to the board. And 1mm of properly cured epoxy will be many times stronger than a quarter mm of improperly cured epoxy. It's not there for decoration. If the majority of it didn't cure, then what remains on the ESC is highly unlikely to be cured properly. Sure, you could epoxy it yourself but, do you think in case you need to warranty the thing at some point this will help or hurt your case? They'll probably ask (rightfully I might add), "What happened to the epoxy on this ESC? That's not ours. DIY repairs aren't covered under warranty. That'll be $160." I wouldn't even consider keeping that ESC. But, that's me.

After close inspection. And I am not saying i am an epoxy expert, but have worked with it plenty, even last week. All what is in there, is fully cured and rock solid. It would not have a consistant shiny flat surface otherwise. I also compared it to two more XLX2's and one(the 3rd newest and with same chip layout as this one) is topped off at the same height. Im willing to assume a valve was off and some extra resin without hardener ended up in the xlx2 somewhere(not even necessarily on top of other epoxy).

If the store was next door, i would have gone and swapped it without any hesitation. Reporting it on day 0 at my EU dealer and his approval, gives me a strong warranty case, just in case... Obviously I am not gonna add epoxy myself, its gonna remain as is.

I hooked it up on 3S, calibrated throttle and did a brief test driving. Nothing strange

If you compare the thickness of the Epoxy layer on the two ESCs, I'm pretty sure it's epoxy. The right ESC has almost none. Visually it certainly looks like epoxy.

Personally, I'd pack that thing right back up and RETURN TO SENDER!!! Holy balls, that's a serious manufacturing & QC oversight.
OMGGG this xlx2 disaster😬. Working or not that’s definitely a return/replace. Underneath the circuitry could be worse and epoxy is flammable until it’s fully cured. With everything I now know about consumer affairs Castle should take that back with out question. They shouldn’t even attempt to convince you otherwise bcs that will be nothing short of breach of contract which is punishable by law.
The “RIGHT TO REPAIR LAW” allows consumers to have their goods repaired or worked on and it will not “void” the factory warranty but it must be a qualified repair with proof of receipt. HOWEVER.. like With all
“FACTORY DEFECTS” it is strongly advised to return the product STRAIGHT to the manufacture for a replacement and it’s their obligation to inspect the defective product and keep those records in their files. Skip talking to who ever you bought it from and go straight to castle with proof of receipt. If they even TRY to convince you otherwise, that is instantly breach of contract which I can write a book on in regards to the epoxy situation.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back