Senton BRCC 3s * Senton 3s * Typhon 3s * Which one??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hattrick300

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
So I am trying to decide which of the three mentioned above I should buy for my son. I currently have 2 Granite Mega's running on the Max10 SCT and a 3660 4000kv motor from Hobbywing and he does real good with it if I stay on him about his speeds. He is only 4yrs old but can do most things 5-7yr olds struggle with in regards to understanding how to drive or ride something but he loves the mud and anything fast. I have the Typhon on pre-order but am concerned that it won't make it here before Christmas and that will be really upsetting for him. Plus I am concerned that it will be the wrong one for his driving style and aggressiveness.
We have watched a lot of RC truck videos lately and this the only time I have seen him get this excited about a car. As soon as he saw the video of the Typhon he said I want that one daddy and went told Mac the Shelf Elf he wanted a "TYPHOOOOOOON!!!!"

And I am sure some of you guys are going to tell me that these options have to much power for the little guy on 2S or 3S. And I will agree to some extent. But please tell me if this makes sense tho...... My plan is to swap in a still new brushed motor and ESC combo that I have from one of my Granite Megas, this would at least slow it down and allow me to have the option of switching the BLX system back in if I wanted too and we get the upgraded diffs this way and some of the parts are interchangeable with my trucks. My first thought with the Typhon over the others would be that it is lighter which would be better for the ESC/Brushed Motor and it sits lower to the ground so he will hopefully not flip it as much as the other trucks. I need your guy's thoughts.... What would you do?

I think your plan sounds solid, but I don't know enough about these three cars to help you.
Good luck, your boy will be thrilled no matter what you choose I'm sure.

So I am trying to decide which of the three mentioned above I should buy for my son. I currently have 2 Granite Mega's running on the Max10 SCT and a 3660 4000kv motor from Hobbywing and he does real good with it if I stay on him about his speeds. He is only 4yrs old but can do most things 5-7yr olds struggle with in regards to understanding how to drive or ride something but he loves the mud and anything fast. I have the Typhon on pre-order but am concerned that it won't make it here before Christmas and that will be really upsetting for him. Plus I am concerned that it will be the wrong one for his driving style and aggressiveness.
We have watched a lot of RC truck videos lately and this the only time I have seen him get this excited about a car. As soon as he saw the video of the Typhon he said I want that one daddy and went told Mac the Shelf Elf he wanted a "TYPHOOOOOOON!!!!"

And I am sure some of you guys are going to tell me that these options have to much power for the little guy on 2S or 3S. And I will agree to some extent. But please tell me if this makes sense tho...... My plan is to swap in a still new brushed motor and ESC combo that I have from one of my Granite Megas, this would at least slow it down and allow me to have the option of switching the BLX system back in if I wanted too and we get the upgraded diffs this way and some of the parts are interchangeable with my trucks. My first thought with the Typhon over the others would be that it is lighter which would be better for the ESC/Brushed Motor and it sits lower to the ground so he will hopefully not flip it as much as the other trucks. I need your guy's thoughts.... What would you do?
Myself, I would go with the Big Rock as I prefer the drive anywhere and over anything that monster trucks offer. The Typhon is a really nice looking vehicle though, I will give you that and like @Krathead said, you can't go wrong with any of them and he will love any of them.

I get you and agree with your logic of getting a better vehicle and then letting it grow with him instead of getting a cheap vehicle that he will outgrow. Like you said, it can grow with him and it can also be made for your to play with. I got my 5 year old a Kraton 2 years ago and put in a Castle system to run it on 2s and I can run 4s and 6s. He is now on 3s and will soon be going to 4s and I haven't had to spend another penny on upgrading it or buying a new vehicle. My friends were trying to talk me into a 2wd brushed slash or something along those lines and I kept saying, so $250 on this, then $75 on a brushless system down the road, then $425 on a new 1/8 scale 4wd brushless vehicle down the road? Why not just spend the $425 now and be done? So that's what I did. LOL

I presume your son has seen videos of a fast car, so won't he be desappointed with a brushed motor inside. If he want a Typhon, buy him the Typhon. Whatever the chassis you will be able to transform it later. Actually the Typhon chassis is almost same as the SCT and BRCC, only longer a-arms, 17mm hex hub and a different body shell. WIth MT tires with 1/2 offset you will have something close to a 3s BLX truggy.

Imo the brushed motor won't be a problem in the BRCC, the granit mega has the same with size and even larger than the BRCC. The BRCC has a new motor position for a 13T motor pinion also.

Last edited:
Jerry, I like your thinking!! But I was only supposed to spend about $200 on it per the wife..:unsure: When I pre-ordered the Typhon I also ordered some 3s lipo's and extra charger and something else. That stuff has already shown up and put to work... :censored::ROFLMAO:

Jym73, I don't think he will be disappointed with it at first, in time, yes but he will need to learn to handle it as with anything new. The big rock is where I am leaning towards just because he likes to drive everything it everywhere.

I just can't let the kid down and not have one for him on Christmas morning.

Jerry, I like your thinking!! But I was only supposed to spend about $200 on it per the wife..:unsure: When I pre-ordered the Typhon I also ordered some 3s lipo's and extra charger and something else. That stuff has already shown up and put to work... :censored::ROFLMAO:

Jym73, I don't think he will be disappointed with it at first, in time, yes but he will need to learn to handle it as with anything new. The big rock is where I am leaning towards just because he likes to drive everything it everywhere.

I just can't let the kid down and not have one for him on Christmas morning.
Get all of em and watch how excited he is on Christmas morning! lol. You sound like youre making the right decisions and I know he's a lucky boy with a very good daddy. I also assume it must be awesome to see him getting into RC and picking up driving skills so early.
I love reading stories like this! :D:love:

If I had to choose between those three for a kid, I would pick BRCC, because Monster truck. SCT do have an appeal ( I have three at the house) but Big wheel Open when trucks are just more fun to bash with.

Myself, I would go with the Big Rock as I prefer the drive anywhere and over anything that monster trucks offer. The Typhon is a really nice looking vehicle though, I will give you that and like @Krathead said, you can't go wrong with any of them and he will love any of them.

I get you and agree with your logic of getting a better vehicle and then letting it grow with him instead of getting a cheap vehicle that he will outgrow. Like you said, it can grow with him and it can also be made for your to play with. I got my 5 year old a Kraton 2 years ago and put in a Castle system to run it on 2s and I can run 4s and 6s. He is now on 3s and will soon be going to 4s and I haven't had to spend another penny on upgrading it or buying a new vehicle. My friends were trying to talk me into a 2wd brushed slash or something along those lines and I kept saying, so $250 on this, then $75 on a brushless system down the road, then $425 on a new 1/8 scale 4wd brushless vehicle down the road? Why not just spend the $425 now and be done? So that's what I did. LOL
Whenever I meet someone driving by while I'm rolling around in my Arrma's or Tekno's every once in a while I'll get someone that was thinking about getting a Slash 2wd (or some other Traxxas POS) to start out with. The last 5 times that happened, I would go to the shed to fetch the busted remains of my 2wd Slash - the 1st Traxxas I ever owned & still keep to remind myself just how bad that junk is. Needless to say, I'm doing my part in keeping that trash off the streets. Although, I really can deny the X-Maxx when I'm driving it. It's hard to put into words the hardships I had with that truck so I leave it alone.

Well I went to the LHS today at lunch and they only had the senton 3s in stock, but they placed a store order for the big rock so I can look at them side by side. Guy claims it Should be here by Friday noonish. But after a lot of thinking and debating with my self and watching videos for hours on the subject today I am probably going to get my son the Senton instead of the big rock. And maybe I will forget to cancel the preordered typhon..;):cool:

So I just got back from the LHS and got the Senton 3s and I logged into Tower to cancel the order for the Typhon and bam!

Looks like it shipped out today...I bet my wife is not gonna be happy with two new toys.
1545417650003.png

I just got mine today...haven't opened yet though...lol...im parts shopping as we speak... seems like a fun neighborhood/mild rc compared to my Talion or outcast.
IMG_2819.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back