Breaking axles and slipper clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex86

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the hobby as an adult. I typically use forums for research purposes but wanted to share something with all of those like me searching as to why I'm constantly popping the dog bones on drive shafts.
Long story (attempted to be short) bought a granite 4x4 mega, upgraded to brushless with a spectrum 3652 spektrum 3300kv motor (85a spectrum esc). I replaced the gearing to stock blx (13 pinion and 57 spur) and bought the HD slipper. All of the testing was on the default punch setting.
I was trashing drive shafts left and right on anything other than a flat paved surface. I thought to myself I have a 3652 motor with stock blx gearing.. How the hell am I popping shafts? I took advantage of the new HD slipper from the blx and started to play with the adjustments. I will say to anyone doing a brushless upgrade that this is a must. The HD slipper is much more forgiving and adjustable than the mega. The mega would get that high pitched screeching but then if you tighten it up a hair you snap axles again. I've finally been able to drive however I want on rough terrain, all because my final adjustment was ONLY 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn.
I didn't want to believe what I read because I was running a smaller motor and went to stock gearing. It still feels as "responsive" as it did with the tight slipper (pulling wheelies and tearing sh..tuff up). I finally went a whole 3s pack without a drive shaft breaking.
Bottom line is if your popping drive shafts you need to double check your slipper.

Fwiw. Thanks to all have mentioned it in the past.

Last edited:
your diff's will go next if u are running 3s on the mega diff's is it a v3 mega?

my typhon 3s diffs axles and slipper clutch are holding up fine with a 4s settup from my ryft sometimes slipper clutch needs tightened but my friends 3s granite loves to throw the axles

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back