Breaking in the Fury's brushed motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skaxis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
So my Fury Mega arrived last night. The first thing I did was pull the motor and water dipped it to break it in. I built this contraption to make it easier to break in the motor. It's just a Traxxas MSC bolted to a Walmart-special step stool. I drilled a hole in it to allow the resistors to dangle free. I use an HEB-special plastic measuring jug and bored a hole in the lid with a body reamer. Fill the jug with 32 oz of distilled water. I fill a cup up with distilled water for the resistors to sit in under the stool.

05.28.2015-09.29.png

I run it on low for like 30 seconds, on medium for another 30 seconds, and then on full until the water turns cloudy. Viola! A perfectly broken in brushed motor.

05.28.2015-08.05.png

That is what we used to do in the old days! ;)

I read that somebody else tried this earlier, but still had problems with the motor.
Have you checked the shape of the brushes?
Quite odd

I opted to run my motor by itself off of some D batteries for about 15min (no water, no load)and called it broke in... did alright i guess... i really abused the motor the first time because i was sure i would be asking arrma for a new one... held up for about month and a half of driving 8-10 batteries a week

D battery got the motor cables and taped them together...like a childhood science experiment. Ran it for about 15min

I opted to run my motor by itself off of some D batteries for about 15min (no water, no load)and called it broke in... did alright i guess... i really abused the motor the first time because i was sure i would be asking arrma for a new one... held up for about month and a half of driving 8-10 batteries a week

That's an average of 54 battery packs which isn't too bad for a brushed motor. Stock motors should have fairly hard brushes which will last a long time but I get the feeling that this Mega 15T isn't exactly "stock". Personally, I'd be happy with any brushed motor that lasted nearly 60 packs.

Did you use lipo's or NIMH battery packs? And how much capacity (Ah or mAh)

I just use a regular NiMh pack for this contraption. mAh don't matter because I'm only running it for a couple of minutes. As it so happens, that pack is a 3800 mAh pack.

The weird thing is that the stock Arrma 15T motor does not have "flat" brushes, but a U shape!
Normally the part of the brush, which slides/drags over the collector has a flat shape.
But the Arrma's brushes are more U shaped: there are only two points touching the collector.

I think this is done to get rid of dirt and dust more easily.
However powered with a lipo that seems to be a too small surface for the amount of power.

Just my two cents

I hear ya. was kind wishing to put some 8th scale motor in it last night, then remember.....duh, its already tight back there.
That would be a lot of fabrication, and im still new to rc trucks, as far as upgrading and maintaining.

As far as the stock motor. I found that offroading, going slow and downhill, and keeping the thing cold by driving it into the creek, after 1 and 1/3 battery packs almost every time i would kill it. Still don't understand why i was ultra gentle but yeah... i find the motor is great for the streets nice on some compact dirt. Suprisingly awesome for some mudding fine in the snow... but trail runs show the flaws in the motor and it seems like its almost was ment as a drag monster... very much unlike ace ventura pet dectective more like the truck that jumped the plane with explosions.

your motor probably got hot too hot if you were doing a lot of acceleration and braking even with a light dip in a stream it doesn't truly cool the inside of the motor down for how quick you went through it you only dropped the surface temp of the motor not it's core and it happens so fast that your not truly doing much. most of your heat generation when off roading is due to the starts and stops. keep in mind since the fury doesn't have an actually mechanical break it uses the motor itself to break that also adds heat. now having said that. 1 and 1/3 batteries seems fast for things to overheat if things are geared properly.

I know this is an old thread, but we will be breaking in a motor soon and are new to these RC cars.

I assume there is a recommended method in the manual? Or are the options presented here the way to go?

I know this is an old thread, but we will be breaking in a motor soon and are new to these RC cars.

I assume there is a recommended method in the manual? Or are the options presented here the way to go?

The manual method is to prop up the rear wheels and run the rc at low to medium speed for about 3 battery packs. But it is nice to see other ways of doing it.

Thanks! I totally agree seeing alternative ways from the experienced people is a great way to learn more. I am pretty conservative and will probably stick to the book initially.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back