Broke motor shaft, looking for upgrade now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Lee

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I broke the shaft on my Outcast stock motor. I want to upgrade for MORE SPEED/TORQUE and FUN!! I do not do any track racing. I love to run the Outcast at 3/4 speed but have the ability to unleash 100% throttle for amazing speeds. I like being the fast track at the park. In you opinion... what is the BEST/FASTEST ESC/MOTOR Combo?

I wanted to stay under 300.00 and it came between the Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 Plus w/2250kv Motor and the Castle Creation X 1/8 1515 2200kv motor. I've heard a lot of feedback that there are much better options available. I will be running the SMC 6s 7400 90C battery. Thank you for your feedback.

I broke the shaft on my Outcast stock motor. I want to upgrade for MORE SPEED/TORQUE and FUN!! I do not do any track racing. I love to run the Outcast at 3/4 speed but have the ability to unleash 100% throttle for amazing speeds. I like being the fast track at the park. In you opinion... what is the BEST/FASTEST ESC/MOTOR Combo?

I wanted to stay under 300.00 and it came between the Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 Plus w/2250kv Motor and the Castle Creation X 1/8 1515 2200kv motor. I've heard a lot of feedback that there are much better options available. I will be running the SMC 6s 7400 90C battery. Thank you for your feedback.

Castle creations monster mommba xl2 esc is able to run 8s if u feel like it I pre ordered the castle creations monster mommba xlx that comes out in march for my project 12s outcast

Castle creations monster mommba xl2 esc is able to run 8s if u feel like it I pre ordered the castle creations monster mommba xlx that comes out in march for my project 12s outcast
Where is this 12s Castle ESC that you speak of....???? My castle 2028 needs this lol

It' not out till next moth I had my lis order it 4 me so I'll b 1 if the first to have 1 it has a 300 amp esc it' called the castle creations mommba monster xlx the box 185 and motor r conning out of the outcast and going in my 6s rustler project

FEATURES
2028 Motor;
Can be powered by 12S LiPo batteries
Designed for heavy throttle action and extended usage characteristic
of 1/5 and 1/8 scale off-road vehicles weighing up to 30lbs
(13.6kg)
Sealed to keep out dirt and moisture
Rotor is assembled with four high temperature rated 4-pole
neodymium magnets
Advanced slotted design stator with super thin steel laminations
High-quality sealed ball bearings
8mm hardened steel shaft

Mamba XL X ESC;
Adjustable 20A peak BEC handles powerful servos and electrical
components that run off of the ESC
Profiles can be custom designed on a PC with the Castle Link
PC programming software (software not included, can be
downloaded for free from Castle's website, voucher is included for
free Castle Link Programmer)
Link Live software enhancement allows drivers to experience
real-time telemetry data such as battery voltage, battery current,
and ESC temperature
On the Fly Programming modes include;
Max Throttle Percentage Adjustment
Max Reverse Percentage Adjustment
Max Brake Percentage Adjustment
Drag Brake Adjustment
Reverse Enable/Disable
Torque Control Adjustment
Datalog Erase

FEATURES
2028 Motor;
Can be powered by 12S LiPo batteries
Designed for heavy throttle action and extended usage characteristic
of 1/5 and 1/8 scale off-road vehicles weighing up to 30lbs
(13.6kg)
Sealed to keep out dirt and moisture
Rotor is assembled with four high temperature rated 4-pole
neodymium magnets
Advanced slotted design stator with super thin steel laminations
High-quality sealed ball bearings
8mm hardened steel shaft

Mamba XL X ESC;
Adjustable 20A peak BEC handles powerful servos and electrical
components that run off of the ESC
Profiles can be custom designed on a PC with the Castle Link
PC programming software (software not included, can be
downloaded for free from Castle's website, voucher is included for
free Castle Link Programmer)
Link Live software enhancement allows drivers to experience
real-time telemetry data such as battery voltage, battery current,
and ESC temperature
On the Fly Programming modes include;
Max Throttle Percentage Adjustment
Max Reverse Percentage Adjustment
Max Brake Percentage Adjustment
Drag Brake Adjustment
Reverse Enable/Disable
Torque Control Adjustment
Datalog Erase
Do I have the right system in my link below? If so, scroll down further and you will see the specs shown below calling out the motor as 12s capable and the esc as 8s capable. This is the system I have had for about a year and a half now.

Screenshot_20180209-221528.jpg

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFLPF&P=SM

I seen that but my local hobby store owner put in my order 2 months ago saying the new esc that is gonna be in the kit is 12s capable they said I'd have to download the firmware from the castle link system but would allow me to change the voltage I put to run 10 or 12s

But if I'm not able to run higher then 8s then I need to cancel that order I'll have to talk to my lhs and figure this out thanks for bringing this up

My lhs owner explained that the xlx that has been out is only 8s max but the castle 2028 and the talon 120hv make it able to run on newhere from 3s to 12s and I am aware the talon hv 120 is a esc mostly used in rc planes and Helis but will work in my outcast with the right programming of the esc and bec this is a build I've been trying to figure out for a few months now I'm using the cvds out of the big rock as the dog bones I went to school for computer drafting and design and my friend is a machinist so makes shortening of the cvds a little easier but this hole build is just something I've been working on and trying to figure out me ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated

I'd thought about messing with heli escs to get them to work but didn't want to buy one and then ruin it. Here I was all excited that Castle was coming out with a 12s surface esc and then I got really excited when there was a chance that my current XL X may be able to be updated. Lol oh well my Baja will have to stay 8s for now. Maybe ill look into the aliens more that Justin pointed out.

Sorry for the confusion I will look into the aliens I have also been looking at the vxp racing 400 amp high oltage esc it' a surface esc that states it' 16s capable but I dnt kno any1 who has ran 1 and for 400$ has any1 ran these

This is OPTO ESC there is no BEC in this High Voltage ESC a bed can b added but isn' necessary I guess like I said I'm not to fimilar with the vxp just what I've read about it sounds good but on there page it' like every detail in the specs they r imo bashing castle and to take on a company with the following of castle ur either out of your mind or seriously confident in your product

But for 400 dollars for a esc that I having personally seen in action seems like a big risk I kno the castle 2028 will take just about anything you can thro at it so I'm intrigued to say the least

So it' official went back to my lhs and cancled my xlx kit I guess I didn't cancel it all together but deff changed it I ordered the castle 2028 with the vxp 400amp esc and I went ahead and got the vxp racing bec to step down the voltage before sending it to other electronics like the servo once I had them pull the specs on the esc of the xlx they gladly changed my order for it' so important to have a good hobby shop when trying to figure a project out like the 1 I'm working on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back