Outcast Broke shock and standing backflips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robl45

Reaction score
Not the best night last night. My son managed to snap the shock end on the back shock and lose the seat and spring. I'm not really sure how honestly as we only drove for about 5 minutes and most of it was me counting how long he could hold a wheelie, but he did smack it into a car wheel at the end so maybe that did it.

Of course those ends are made of that special material adamantium or maybe its unobtanium and are completely sold out everywhere. Tower lists late April so hopefully they ship soon.

As for the standing backflips. What are you guys doing to get this to do standing backflips? We were doing them fine with the stock pinion, but once it broke, we are having a tough time doing them. I'm guessing the stock pinion wasn't budging on the shaft even with the set screw fully removed so blip the throttle and it worked, the new pinion while it stayed in place last night I'm guessing is moving slightly when we hit the throttle and not giving it quite enough grunt. Should I move up a tooth? Since I have to order a tekno pinion soon anyway, I could go up a tooth if needed, I just want to make sure whatever I do will still work on grass and not overheat the batteries /motor /esc etc.

Are you ordering your parts strictly from Arrma/Tower? I've yet to NOT find a replacement part for my Outcast, and I've broken a ton of poop.
  • Bent motor shaft
  • Ripped a pinion to shreds
  • Broken wing mount
  • Lost/replaced wing buttons and screws
  • Motor mount screws rattled out
  • Front bumper mount destroyed
  • Bent front drive shaft
  • Broken tie rod end
  • Broken shock shaft eye
  • Broken front A-arm
  • Stripped out the stock servo
  • Broken wheelie wheels
  • Just got 3 sets of diff shims (inner and outer) in the mail today.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but I bash pretty hard and I'm having zero problems finding parts.

As for the standing backflips; I put my 16 tooth pinion in when I destroyed my 12 tooth, and it still does them with ease. I've even turned my punch down to 4 (from 9) and I can do them. Check your ESC settings and see what the punch is set to. It's possible you have it set low, I suppose. Also; are you running 6S? If you're running 4S with a 16 tooth, chances are you won't be able to do them. Did you change diff oils, by chance? There are many factors to consider.

16 tooth with 6S is pure madness, too. The first time I used this setup, I took it down the road in front of my house and tried to hit top speed. I couldn't do so because the tires ballooned too much and I would start to lose control around 3/4 throttle. It would also wheelie on demand no matter what speed I was at with a hard blip of the throttle. Fun as hell, though.

the shock ends are out of stock everywhere, checked ebay and all other places, no one had them in stock, so I just ordered both parts from tower, at least I don't get dinged twice for shipping.

6s and ESC is whatever settings it comes on stock. I'm concerned going to 16 tooth is going to lead to heat problems.

If you're running 6S with 12 tooth pinion, that truck should be begging you to STOP doing standing backflips.

The ESC comes set to punch 4 stock, which is what I'm running with the 16 tooth and 6S. Not sure why yours won't do it, then. Low traction, or on hot top/grass?

I've also had no heat problems with the 16 tooth pinion, but I live in Maine. We've been lucky to see 60 degrees so far this spring.

I live in south florida so its quite warm. It would do them when we first got it. Still would barely get over but me and my son could do it.

Call Westbank hobbies in Jefferson Louisiana, they carry lots of Arrma parts. Broke my first set of shock ends after a 60 foot jump, they had them in stock and I saw several more on the rack.

Guys, which Tekno pinion gear do you recommend? 14t? And also what cooling fan have you used to mount on the motor? Anyone see the new orange body yet? Your thoughts. My silver one has cracked near the lower edge of the "windshield". Thanks

If you're running 6S with 12 tooth pinion, that truck should be begging you to STOP doing standing backflips.

The ESC comes set to punch 4 stock, which is what I'm running with the 16 tooth and 6S. Not sure why yours won't do it, then. Low traction, or on hot top/grass?

I've also had no heat problems with the 16 tooth pinion, but I live in Maine. We've been lucky to see 60 degrees so far this spring.
Guys, which Tekno pinion gear do you recommend? 14t? And also what cooling fan have you used to mount on the motor? Anyone see the new orange body yet? Your thoughts. My silver one has cracked near the lower edge of the "windshield". Thanks

I'm running the stock (and by stock, I mean the optional in-box) 16 tooth right now. My Robinson Racing 1216 is arriving today. You can check it out here if you want.

I'm not using a cooling fan on my motor just yet because I live in Maine and we haven't seen the temperature get above the 60's lately. I'll be researching and purchasing one soon.

I love the new orange body. The body is the very first thing that drew me to the Outcast and I don't think I'll ever use another one, so color variation will do for me!

I'm running the stock (and by stock, I mean the optional in-box) 16 tooth right now. My Robinson Racing 1216 is arriving today. You can check it out here if you want.

I'm not using a cooling fan on my motor just yet because I live in Maine and we haven't seen the temperature get above the 60's lately. I'll be researching and purchasing one soon.

I love the new orange body. The body is the very first thing that drew me to the Outcast and I don't think I'll ever use another one, so color variation will do for me!
Thanks. I live in Wisconsin at I am waiting for our 3 weeks of summer. Please post your fan research when completed.

Also, your thoughts Tekno vs Robinson Racing pinions?

Thanks. I live in Wisconsin at I am waiting for our 3 weeks of summer. Please post your fan research when completed.

Also, your thoughts Tekno vs Robinson Racing pinions?
I won't be getting a fan for a few weeks. If I remember, I'll report back.

I've never run a Tekno pinion, but if I didn't run RR then Tekno would be my next choice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back