Kraton Broke two pinions today on 4s.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I was running my kraton today continuing to shake it out after basically taking it totally apart and upgrading everything possible. I was running an smc 5200mah 4s pack on xt150 connectors. Esc is a hobbywing max8 set to maximum punch with 14t pinion with red loctite.

This thing was punching WAY above its 4s weight. With any sort of traction the acceleration was just brutal. It was accelerating MUCH harder than my typhon. I had trouble keeping the front end down. It was quite shocking and fun.

The only trouble is I broke a tooth off of TWO arrma 14t pinions. I'm always very careful about adjusting for the proper pinion/spur mesh so I'm pretty sure that was not the problem.

6s I can understand.....but 4s?

Any idea what would be causing this?

Thanks guys. I ordered 2 tekno pinions. Will try Robinson too.

Thanks guys. I ordered 2 tekno pinions. Will try Robinson too.
Might be the punch set to full ?? I love 4s, 16tooth and punch 6 perfect for the skate park light and plenty of grunt. I'll have to try 9 must b mad fun !!!

There has to be a bad batch of pinion gears roaming around the production line.
I would only see that happening if you ran several 4S packs back to back without giving a break to the pinion gears, or maybe the center oil is almost to the point of a locked diff.

Must be a bad batch. Center diff is 100k. I was on my first or second pack. I usually have about 10 min between packs just for a quick inspection and time to change the battery. Every thing usually cools down quite a bit.

I'm not going to bother with a warranty claim. Lol

There has to be a bad batch of pinion gears roaming around the production line.
I would only see that happening if you ran several 4S packs back to back without giving a break to the pinion gears, or maybe the center oil is almost to the point of a locked diff.
It's cheap Chinese metal if you run the cars very hard or take a cartwheel landing you'll bust it. Better made pinion.
I'll say chipped a tooth last week, but took some hard landings. I never checked mesh before running a couple of weeks as I order a bunch of stuff in order. Figured to would be alright when I broke it down to repair I found the mesh had about twice the slack it needed and wasn't a smooth mesh all the way around.
My buddy has had 2 Kraton s that the mesh was to tight.

The tekno pinions I bought are pure awesome. Huge set screw and the manufacturing tolerances are very impressive. Everything I've come into contact with that is "Tekno" has been supreme quality.

I usually pull the pinion off of a new truck and reset the mesh along with using red loctite.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back