Broken beads/sand and water in wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampshifter

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So I landed hard and broke the bead on 2 stock rims/wheels. They are full of sand and water. I’m trying to get the foams dried out the best I can. Should I just get 2 new ones? These would almost have to completely come apart to be able to reseal the bead on them. Was able to break the bead completely on one side but the glue seal is intact on the other side.

Attachments

• DE7F76F8-9D84-41CF-B137-FBFC8C29F382.jpeg
    DE7F76F8-9D84-41CF-B137-FBFC8C29F382.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 84
You should be able to glue those back together just fine. I have glued torn tires back together, and they held up for a while longer. That looks like a clean separation from the rim. Should be able to get a good seal back on the rim. Don't worry about the other side if its good. Foam is in, get it dried out, glue it. You could glue them back together, and search for a new set while using them too. Never a bad idea to have a extra set of wheels and tires around in my opinion.

while you are working on the rims, close the vent holes in the rim, and use a small brass tube in a drill motor to put vent holes in the rubber - right on the center line of the tread. Then all the sand and water will get flung out of the tire, instead of (as with the rim hole) getting sucked in.

while you are working on the rims, close the vent holes in the rim, and use a small brass tube in a drill motor to put vent holes in the rubber - right on the center line of the tread. Then all the sand and water will get flung out of the tire, instead of (as with the rim hole) getting sucked in.
I've been meaning to do this to all my tires for awhile. I just can't seem to find the small hard tubing. I have gone to my local stores and all of the small tubing they have is the flexible kind for like a refrigerator water line and I just don't know how well that will work for this application.

If you don't have a hobby shop, try a Hobby lobby or Michaels or similar kind of store. Places like that normally have a modeling section and stock small brass tubing, plate, the extra thin ply, balsa stock, and other stuff that is handy for scratch building...

If you don't have a hobby shop, try a Hobby lobby or Michaels or similar kind of store. Places like that normally have a modeling section and stock small brass tubing, plate, the extra thin ply, balsa stock, and other stuff that is handy for scratch building...
Yeah my nearest place is like 1+ hours away so I rarely get there and have checked Menards and Runnings in my local town. I might have to make a trip and get that and some other stuff.

Just use a drill bit in a dremel at a relatively high speed with very light pressure. Let the bit burn a hole into the rubber, then you don't end up with jagged holes. I've been doing that for 15+ years on all my tires. On smaller 1/10 and 1/8 buggy tires, I make 2 holes in the center at 12/6. On larger MT tires, I make 4 holes, 12/3/6/9 (hours on a clock). I usually use a 7/64" or 3/31", a step down from 1/8". As mentioned, I also tape over the wheel hole or put a drop of heavy CA glue to plug them.

Just make sure if you run in wet conditions that the last thing you do is accelerate to a decent speed on dry ground for a couple passes. This will help wring the water out of the tires. Just don't do it while holding the truck or your going to get nasty tire water all over you. If there's quite a bit of water in them, they will be out of balance, so you will need to go slower at first until the water makes it's way out or you will rattle your truck apart.

Forgot to mention, if you can, put the hole in the center of a lug recess. Some tires have a line down the middle that doesn't have any lugs in it, so not much you can do there. You really need the hole in the center so it works with centrifugal force the best. Putting the hole in the center of a lug gives more support around the hole to make it even less likely to tear. That said, I've never had a tire tear on the water hole I put in them whether in a lug or not.

Last edited:
In a pinch you can hit your local mechanic up and get a piece of brake line tubing. Don't need much just a few inches

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back