Broken differential: Notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatonekid286

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Ended up breaking my differential within 5 minutes of unboxing my Notorious. Is this a common issue or can I be confident it was an isolated event?

Ended up breaking my differential within 5 minutes of unboxing my Notorious. Is this a common issue or can I be confident it was an isolated event?
I'm pretty confident I could break one is less than 5 minutes. Punch 9, and just hammer the throttle over and over. Standing backflips for days.

Without knowing any of the details like what broke, what you were doing when it broke, etc. no one can really give you a good answer. You didn't even say which diff it was.

I'm pretty confident I could break one is less than 5 minutes. Punch 9, and just hammer the throttle over and over. Standing backflips for days.

Without knowing any of the details like what broke, what you were doing when it broke, etc. no one can really give you a good answer. You didn't even say which diff it was.
Sorry, new to this. It’s the rear diff. I broke a planetary gear and a pin doing a standing backflip.

Sorry, new to this. It’s the rear diff. I broke a planetary gear and a pin doing a standing backflip.

its common.. standing backflips and landing on throttle will take them out.. the pin shears first, then the pin rotates through the bore of the gear and pops it.. you can use better pins and gears, or stop doing standing backflips and landing on throttle.. if it broke in 5 mins id guess you were flipping it on tar?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200211-170228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200211-170228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 64
Yeah there's a good chance of breaking those when you do standing backflips. You have to have good timing. You need to bee off the throttle when the flip lands.

its common.. standing backflips and landing on throttle will take them out.. the pin shears first, then the pin rotates through the bore of the gear and pops it.. you can use better pins and gears, or stop doing standing backflips and landing on throttle.. if it broke in 5 mins id guess you were flipping it on tar?
I was on grass actually. The center is messed up as well. I’ve apparently got a lot to learn.

Inside of the case. Day one, broke the truck lol. My buddy said “welcome to RC”
Yep, unfortunately the power density of Lithium batteries and brushless motors has evolved faster than the design and size of the diffs in our vehicles. Standing Backflips will roast a diff pretty quickly. You can shim both the inside and outside to make the diffs as tight as possible without being too tight, this helps a little. Oddly enough I've never broke a spider gear in my Kraton and I'm running a 4092 motor. I've typically had issues with the diff pinion which is more related to a shimming issue than it is me mistreating it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back