Kraton Broken screw removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonijuice

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Any suggestions for removing a broken screw. The two screws In the back of the wing mount broke off. Any tool you have found that works best to remove.

Any suggestions for removing a broken screw. The two screws In the back of the wing mount broke off. Any tool you have found that works best to remove.
Best way is to remove the shock tower, usually they break off right at the shock tower so if you remove it there will be 2 nubs sticking out of the gearbox case. Now once you get that far you have 2 options, grab a pair of pliers and try to turn them out or use a dremel and cut a slit in the top of the screw then us a flat head screwdriver to remove.

Sorry just some generic pictures but hopfully it gets you going in the right direction.
how-to-remove-a-broken-bolt-with-vise-grips.jpg

Dremel-1.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same thing on the weekend. Like @slick2500 said there should be 2 nubs sticking out. I used vise grips and they came out np. I also replaced them with stainless screws hopefully they don’t snap again.

I did the same thing on the weekend. Like @slick2500 said there should be 2 nubs sticking out. I used vise grips and they came out np. I also replaced them with stainless screws hopefully they don’t snap again.
Even the highest grade stainless steel screws have roughly half the tensile strength of the stock 12.9 grade hardened steel screws.
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

Class and
Material
Nominal Size Range
(mm)
Mechanical Properties
Proof Load
(MPa)
Min. Yield Strength
(MPa)
Min. Tensile Strength
(MPa)

Class 8.8​

Medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered
All sizes below 16mm580640800
16mm - 72mm600660830

Class 10.9​

Alloy steel, quenched and tempered
5mm - 100mm8309401040

Class 12.9​

Alloy steel, quenched and tempered
1.6mm - 100mm97011001220
Usually Stamped A-2 or A-4

A-2 & A-4 Stainless​

Steel alloy with chromium and nickel
All sizes thru 20mmN/A210 Min.
450 Typical
500 Min.
700 Typical

Once you get the back tower off, just tighten your electric screwdriver to the bits sticking out. Way easier than anything else and out in seconds.
Broke my mount screws this weekend at the shock tower. Will be trying this method to remove the screws. I wonder if i can find suitable replacement screws locally at HD/Lowes/AceHW :unsure::rolleyes:

IMG_20210408_074256.jpg

Broke my mount screws this weekend at the shock tower. Will be trying this method to remove the screws. I wonder if i can find suitable replacement screws locally at HD/Lowes/AceHW :unsure::rolleyes:

View attachment 138167
You will have better luck at Ace than Lowes in my experience, Lowes doesn't have much for metric screws, as least mine doesn't anyway, however the screws at Ace are only 10.9. If you have a Menards they carry 12.9 grade screws.

You will have better luck at Ace than Lowes in my experience, Lowes doesn't have much for metric screws, as least mine doesn't anyway, however the screws at Ace are only 10.9. If you have a Menards they carry 12.9 grade screws.
Sadly I don't. You're right about ACE, they've had the better selection of metric stuff I've found locally so far. May have to make due for now and get the right ones ordered.

If you haven't removed the rest of the screw already, pull the shock tower and you should be able to get at the remaining bit of screw with some pliers/vice grips. Since the screw doesn't thread into the shock tower directly, the tower may be snug, but should slide off.

If you haven't removed the rest of the screw already, pull the shock tower and you should be able to get at the remaining bit of screw with some pliers/vice grips. Since the screw doesn't thread into the shock tower directly, the tower may be snug, but should slide off.
Yea, this is what I am hoping for.

When I look at the Kraton EXB Roller exploded view it looks like the part number for these bolts are AR721320 which is a M3x20mm Button Head screw, but what I pulled out is a Socket Head screw. The part number I found is AR723328 for a M3x20MM Socket Head screw. Does that seem like the correct ones?

IMG_20210408_074256.jpg

IMG_20210408_180137.jpg

When I look at the Kraton EXB Roller exploded view it looks like the part number for these bolts are AR721320 which is a M3x20mm Button Head screw, but what I pulled out is a Socket Head screw. The part number I found is AR723328 for a M3x20MM Socket Head screw. Does that seem like the correct ones?

View attachment 138314

View attachment 138313
I saw someone else mention that their EXB had socket heads instead of button heads in another thread, I personally would go with the socket head screws. I have been slowly replacing all of my button head screws on my rcs with socket heads because they are harder to strip.

I saw someone else mention that their EXB had socket heads instead of button heads in another thread, I personally would go with the socket head screws. I have been slowly replacing all of my button head screws on my rcs with socket heads because they are harder to strip.
Does m3x20mm sound like the correct length?

I had to drill a few screws out recently and came across the spyder bits (blue/ purple ones)

Absolutely awesome bits worth 10 x the cheap HHS bits you get and not much more $$$

They eat even the hardened carbon steel screws in arrma cars. I wish I'd have found them 20 years ago!

Screenshot_20210408-212620_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210408-212555_Gallery.jpg

I bought a left handed drill bit set 10 years ago and never looked back. It's helped me with so many broken screws I don't even think twice about it anymore.

Anything stripped or broken, zip zip and it's out.

Let's say I still run Voltage towers and the screws actually thread in. I need to buy a tiny drill bit?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back