Outcast Broken steering link on Outcast EXB, replace with stock or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lautri

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Gorgon
  3. Vorteks
  4. Voltage
  5. Infraction 4x4
Broken link, replace with stock or are there better alternatives?

IMG_2578.jpeg

Stay with stock.(y)
User error got the best of that EXB Tie rod.
User error doesn't always dictate the need for an upgrade part. Especially ST tie rods. Normal to break these if you cartwheel and land wrong or hit things. Hitting things is absolutely user error IMHO.
An upgrade part can be a crutch for poor driving skills. I don't know how well you drive. But bashing gets the best of any rig. Break, fix and repeat. As you drive better you always break less. Honestly of all my 6s rigs here I have not even broken ONE Non EXB Tie rod. If I did I wouldn't even bother with the EXB variants. I also found that the stock shock Standoffs are way better than the EXB shock standoffs. Broke the EXB's easily. Yes from User error. Non EXB Stocker stand offs are better from my experience. As one example. So as I break the EXB shock standoffs, I replace with the standard RTR shock standoffs.
If you have a hole burning in your wallet go for the upgrades. In many cases it is just bling. $Titanium$ Tie rods will even break/snap/bend in many cases for instance. Yet Ti seems more important to many???:unsure:
Just that I've been there. I found many stock parts, aside from being cheaper, are actually fine and sometimes even better, more durable than $$ upgrades in many cases.

Last edited:
I agree I would just stay stock. I bought the entire steering assembly from Jenny's for $17.00 after I broke the same link. It also upgraded me from V3 to V5 Typhon 6s with a 4mm hole for the front chassis brace and replaced the bearings while I was there.

Stay with stock.(y)
User error doesn't always dictate the need for an upgrade part. Especially ST tie rods. Normal to break these if you cartwheel and land wrong or hit things. Hitting things is absolutely user error IMHO.
An upgrade part can be a crutch for poor driving skills. I don't know how well you drive. But bashing gets the best of any rig. Break, fix and repeat. As you drive better you always break less. Honestly of all my 6s rigs here I have not even broken ONE Non EXB Tie rod. If I did I wouldn't even bother with the EXB variants. I also found that the stock shock Standoffs are way better than the EXB shock standoffs. Broke the EXB's easily. Yes from User error. Non EXB Stocker stand offs are better from my experience. As one example. So as I break the EXB shock standoffs, I replace with the standard RTR shock standoffs.
If you have a hole burning in your wallet go for the upgrades. In many cases it is just bling. $Titanium$ Tie rods will even break/snap/bend in many cases for instance. Yet Ti seems more important to many???:unsure:
Just that I've been there. I found many stock parts, aside from being cheaper, are actually fine and sometimes even better, more durable than $$ upgrades in many cases.
Thank you.
I agree I would just stay stock. I bought the entire steering assembly from Jenny's for $17.00 after I broke the same link. It also upgraded me from V3 to V5 Typhon 6s with a 4mm hole for the front chassis brace and replaced the bearings while I was there.
Thank you.

Stay with stock ones but replace the pivot balls with these https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-AR34...2-5mm-2-Typhon-Kraton-Notorious-/381293527078 the rods will pop off instead of break.
Stay with stock.(y)
User error my butt. This is 100% Arrma trying to fix something only to make it worse.
I ran my Outcast for 3 years and never broke a single steering link, they popped off from time to time sure. Then I swapped in the new never pop pivot balls and broke 3 in a month, I went back to the old style balls and I haven't broken one since.

Stay with stock ones but replace the pivot balls with these https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-AR34...2-5mm-2-Typhon-Kraton-Notorious-/381293527078 the rods will pop off instead of break.

User error my butt. This is 100% Arrma trying to fix something only to make it worse.
I ran my Outcast for 3 years and never broke a single steering link, they popped off from time to time sure. Then I swapped in the new never pop pivot balls and broke 3 in a month, I went back to the old style balls and I haven't broken one since.
Thank you, I’ll take a look at the link provided.

I had V3 non captured pivot balls, and the newer ones. I say user error. Never broke or even bent one Tie rod. (non -EXB's) Crap happened.
I do know that the same material as the EXB shock stand offs was used, as it appears. And the EXB standoffs are crappola. Crack if you just sneeze at them.
A super stiff SS spring preload can contribute to this however. SS should have normally "Saved it".:rolleyes:
Maybe I need to "Send it" off my roof to see what will break first.:LOL:

I busted one of mine on my kraton exb 35 seconds into my first run. I overstacked the c-clips on the servo saver when I was building it. Didn't realize I nearly locked the stupid thing. Then as I was making my first pass (at a pretty fast clip), I tagged one of my buddies trucks.

I replaced them with lunsford 4mm x 95mm for $37 shipped... figured why not. lol!

I had a spare non-exb outcast tie-rod in my truck bag to get me through the rest of the day. Spent 40 minutes forcing 2 or 3 of the c-clips out of the servo saver first though.

I busted one of mine on my kraton exb 35 seconds into my first run. I overstacked the c-clips on the servo saver when I was building it. Didn't realize I nearly locked the stupid thing. Then as I was making my first pass (at a pretty fast clip), I tagged one of my buddies trucks.

I replaced them with lunsford 4mm x 95mm for $37 shipped... figured why not. lol!

I had a spare non-exb outcast tie-rod in my truck bag to get me through the rest of the day. Spent 40 minutes forcing 2 or 3 of the c-clips out of the servo saver first though.
Ah the servo saver, yet another example of Arrma trying to fix something only to make it worse. It can't loosen when it it's already loose to begin with..... I run the old school SS in mine, swapped it out in the EXB when I did the bell crank bearings.

Ah the servo saver, yet another example of Arrma trying to fix something only to make it worse. It can't loosen when it it's already loose to begin with..... I run the old school SS in mine, swapped it out in the EXB when I did the bell crank bearings.
I replaced mine as well with a spare old one from my outcast parts. Then red loctited the knurl nut as they like to back off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back