Talion Brought home some upgrades... question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
After not being happy with low speed control I went a little crazy at the hobby store. I brought home a Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8s, 1515-2200kv motor, and a Futaba 4PM transmitter. :)

One of the guys there was questioning why I wanted the 8s version since I told him I didn't think I'd ever run 8s. My answer was that my good buddies on here said this was the way to go vs the 6s only version. It made me look to see what the difference was when I got home and now I'm second guessing my decision. Should have have just gotten the Mamba Monster X Extreme if I'm not going to use 8s? I noticed it's 1.75 oz lighter.

The car is a Talion EXB by the way.

the 8s esc should run cooler on 6s and won't be pushed as hard.

There is no benefit in getting an 8S ESC if you never plan on using 8S.
It doesn't run cooler, probably a little hotter as you are not in the peak efficiency range of the ESC.

The only reason is running crazy speed on 8S.
It will be fun until it breaks, and it will happen quickly during bashing. Tire blowouts will be frequent as well.
Been there, done that.
By all means, match the ESC to the motor, a combo is a combo for a reason.

Personally like over head.

run a mamba X 6s capable on 3/4s in a senton

Running a mmx8s in a mexb only plan to run 6s but have set up for 8s.

If it’s going in a Talion maybe keep the m8s n go with a 1650? Everyone runs that or the hw system on 6s mainly?.

Nice tx btw👍, hopefully receiving my 3pv soon.

I don’t have experience with castles larger esc’s (only ever used a mamba monster) . I do have a Max 6 that stays ice cold on 6s where my Max 8 would get warm running the same setup.
I think a little head room is always a good idea.

I was originally going to get the 1650kv because i'm not really ever running it on the street, but he talked me out of that saying it was more torque than I would want for the Talion. He thought the 2200 was a better match for the car. By the way, I'm running 15T pinion. A lot of my driving will be either in grass or hard dirt.

I was originally going to get the 1650kv because i'm not really ever running it on the street, but he talked me out of that saying it was more torque than I would want for the Talion. He thought the 2200 was a better match for the car. By the way, I'm running 15T pinion. A lot of my driving will be either in grass or hard dirt.

I really don't know.
I run 23t on a 1717-1650kv on the same mmx8s and love it on 3s,4s,6s and sometime even 8s
Also run tires up to 175mm

it's pretty badass with 140mm tires (stock size) and 4s

motor never gets warm, I have fans, but don't need to turn them on. I don't do full throttle pinning it runs, I don't have the space to do so

Last edited:
Congrats brother. I love Futaba. Just don’t have the money for one of their transmitters right now. I had a Futaba paired with my Tamiya Frog as a little kid which was my first RC💪

Congrats brother. I love Futaba. Just don’t have the money for one of their transmitters right now. I had a Futaba paired with my Tamiya Frog as a little kid which was my first RC💪
I started my RC journey with a Futaba AM radio, was fantastic, considering the technology at the time. The whole swapping crystals and knowing other peoples frequencies was a bit annoying though lol

I really don't know.
I run 23t on a 1717-1650kv on the same mmx8s and love it on 3s,4s,6s and sometime even 8s
Also run tires up to 175mm

it's pretty badass with 140mm tires (stock size) and 4s

motor never gets warm, I have fans, but don't need to turn them on. I don't do full throttle pinning it runs, I don't have the space to do so

sweet :)

what 175mm tires do you run on it?

sweet :)

what 175mm tires do you run on it?

I have the backflip 6s's which are a bit less than 175mm but not far off.
Then I have the pro-line badlands, belted, with the aluminum hubs. They are about 175 and are totally badass, but they are like a pound each. I really like them. They are a LOT softer and more grippy than the backflips. They would be best with 0 offset, so be ready to spend some coin on the custom hubs. I'm in to these wheels for like $200 CAD
@Thumper33
IMG_20220109_154238.jpg
IMG_20220220_234033.jpg

I think 2200 is pushing it on the Talion, and the MMX8S 8s is good esc

Save an ounce? Isn't the BEC also better on the x8s anyway?

I wouldn't be worried about it
2200 pushing it? How so? The guy at the LHS told me 1650 Kv was too much torque for the talion. I see you're using the monstrous 1717-1650 but then gearing up, which would temper that crazy torque and give you more top end to boot. Am I thinking that right?

Read your build thread - OMG amazing job. Reads like a good drama for us engineering geeks. :D I'm curious why on a weight conscous build you went with one of the heavier motors they offer. Whats the benefit of that vs gearing down on a smaller motor with higher kv?

I'm on Backflip LP, perfect match imho.
1650 has more torque, but you lose it with the larger pinion, i.e. it's a good fit.
I'm still on stock motor with 18T but dual motor fans as it heats up. Decided to leave it like this until the motor blows up (again). That damn sucker is holding on though, already have a 1650kV lying around. :ROFLMAO:

My 1717-1650 doesn't seem to ever get hot, fans seem entirely optional - but it is near freezing here
Thats what I'm running and same...no heat issues (knocks on wood)🤞
I'm on Backflip LP, perfect match imho.
1650 has more torque, but you lose it with the larger pinion, i.e. it's a good fit.
I'm still on stock motor with 18T but dual motor fans as it heats up. Decided to leave it like this until the motor blows up (again). That damn sucker is holding on though, already have a 1650kV lying around. :ROFLMAO:
I wish I had a 1650 just laying around! :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back