Talion Brought home some upgrades... question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went back and traded it for the 1520-1650. I read that it's a squeeze to get it in there but I guess we will see. I also grabbed an 18T and 21T pinion since I'm sure the 15T will be too low now.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report back of course when I have more to tell. :)

2200 pushing it? How so? The guy at the LHS told me 1650 Kv was too much torque for the talion. I see you're using the monstrous 1717-1650 but then gearing up, which would temper that crazy torque and give you more top end to boot. Am I thinking that right?

Read your build thread - OMG amazing job. Reads like a good drama for us engineering geeks. :D I'm curious why on a weight conscous build you went with one of the heavier motors they offer. Whats the benefit of that vs gearing down on a smaller motor with higher kv?

I think if you run the 2200 hard or use a big pinion like the 23T then you will overheat or at least need lots of fan to cool it down. The 1650 is cool as a cucumber, but I never ran the 2200 so I can't really say.
Well, I went back and traded it for the 1520-1650. I read that it's a squeeze to get it in there but I guess we will see. I also grabbed an 18T and 21T pinion since I'm sure the 15T will be too low now.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report back of course when I have more to tell. :)

That's an interesting motor - let us know how it turns out!

There is no benefit in getting an 8S ESC if you never plan on using 8S.
It doesn't run cooler, probably a little hotter as you are not in the peak efficiency range of the ESC.
jkflow has a point, somewhat. I only have smaller Castle stuff, my Arrmas are on Spek electrics (I prefer not to buy buy apple products).

For me, I want the higher 6s amperage capacity of the 8s ESC. Much higher peak. The TP motors I run in my Arrmas need all available amperage, and the 6s versions fall too short to power those motors well.

As far as torque goes, it's gearing, to start. You want the KV you can use, in other words make sure the KV, RPM, and top speed are all fully utilized within your throttle range. If you only use half of your RPM ceiling, you won't have peak power or efficiency at any range. Low end suffers, partial throttle makes heat and the motor only has so many poles, so low speeds get pulse-y, like starting your car in 3rd gear. Not smooth, not efficient.

jkflow has a point, somewhat. I only have smaller Castle stuff, my Arrmas are on Spek electrics (I prefer not to buy buy apple products).

For me, I want the higher 6s amperage capacity of the 8s ESC. Much higher peak. The TP motors I run in my Arrmas need all available amperage, and the 6s versions fall too short to power those motors well.

As far as torque goes, it's gearing, to start. You want the KV you can use, in other words make sure the KV, RPM, and top speed are all fully utilized within your throttle range. If you only use half of your RPM ceiling, you won't have peak power or efficiency at any range. Low end suffers, partial throttle makes heat and the motor only has so many poles, so low speeds get pulse-y, like starting your car in 3rd gear. Not smooth, not efficient.
Thanks for this reply. Low speed drivability is important to me, especially moreso than top end speed. If the car does 50+ I'm stoked. I think you've confirmed though that with the 1650 motor I can have a broader choice of options to run. happy happy :)

Also, try out one of the RC brushless calculators on the web or an app. See what your motor numbers and gearing work out to. See what 6s vs 8s does. Play around and find that point where rpm is at the rated max at your target top speed. If you use the full range like I said, you'll be happy with your power at all speeds.

How the heck do I mount the esc? I guess Velcro or double sided tape? I can't find a flat spot if I remove the old esc mount, so the only thing I can figure is to reuse that mount and tape it. Is double sided tape going to stick to the plastic?

Edit: was the esc supposed to come with some tape or Velcro?

Edit2: Ok, I had some RTV black sitting around and that seemed sensible. Stuff holds nice and tight once it dries. I put about a dime sized amount on the mounting pad and lightly clamped it into position. Is that enough holding power you think?

Last edited:
My 1717-1650 doesn't seem to ever get hot, fans seem entirely optional - but it is near freezing here
Seriously, few days ago I was running my felony in a parking lot and I was basically 65 mph up and down the parking lot and I don't even think that motor hit 100f. Granted I have 2x 40mm fans and ambient was about 50f but I was really surprised. I was on the throttle a lot and that was a 27t pinion lol.

Seriously, few days ago I was running my felony in a parking lot and I was basically 65 mph up and down the parking lot and I don't even think that motor hit 100f. Granted I have 2x 40mm fans and ambient was about 50f but I was really surprised. I was on the throttle a lot and that was a 27t pinion lol.
I got a 30t pinion in the mail and can't wait lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back