Granite Brushed motor rebuild.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
Is it possible to replace the bearing (?) Or bushing in the 550 mega 12T motor? Does anyone know of a part number? Is it even possible to disassemble these motors?

I have one mangled one and Nother on the way out.

Can I warranty the motor and if so how do?

Would a 4000kv brushless system have enough torque for my truck? Would it be faster? Would I need to keep a lower gear ratio if it has lower torque?

If I go brushless do I need to replace the steering servo?
Looking at an onyx 70A 4000kv 4 pole. That's not an underpowered ESC is it?

Last edited:
Ok. Reading through the forum I found a 'what you did wrong with your brushed motor' video. That was helpful! Sorry for being irritating. I have no shortage of stupid questions

My LHS guy told me to save my money and buy another truck. He said: 150 minimum for motor, then hundo to replace your diffs. Just buy a new truck.

My LHS guy told me to save my money and buy another truck. He said: 150 minimum for motor, then hundo to replace your diffs. Just buy a new truck.

Which one is that - Cool Toys, Hobby Hobby or Great Hobbies? You can certainly get a motor cheaper than that, but they're right about the drive train. Your best bet would be to buy a different truck.

omg that lhs guy has no idea
I runn the mega diffs on 2s with 3500kv no need for the blx diff's

I know nothing about motors and that yet. I was looking at a 4 pole 4000 kv with a 70A ESC (?) Onyx brand IIRC. That is more rpm than 3200 kv?
Can I ask which one you frequent? Cool toys is minutes away from me. Hobby Hobby is up in streetsville. I don't really know what I am looking at and there is a dizzying array of motor sizes, speed and then add the confusion of pairing an ESC correctly with motor. That's why I am loathe to just take the plunge with an online purchase.

Last edited:
Depending on what you buy and where you buy you could end up spending as much as buying a brushless model. 2s Mega parts are fine but on 3s you should go for the BLX parts this is where things can start to add up. I have no idea about what things actually end up costing for Canadians but sounds like more than I would be willing to pay vs what it costs for us in the US.

Yeah, I know it would probably be more economical long term to just get another truck. Seems stupid but breaking everything and just upgrading until I got a new truck piece by piece is kind of part of the fun though maybe. Take a while before I get up to 420 for a new truck CAD and another whatever for batteries.

I know nothing about motors and that yet. I was looking at a 4 pole 4000 kv with a 70A ESC (?) Onyx brand IIRC. That is more rpm than 3200 kv?
Can I ask which one you frequent? Cool toys is minutes away from me. Hobby Hobby is up in streetsville. I don't really know what I am looking at and there is a dizzying array of motor sizes, speed and then add the confusion of pairing an ESC correctly with motor. That's why I am loathe to just take the plunge with an online purchase.
Cool Toys is generally (but not always) slightly better on price, but they really don't know much. Hobby Hobby really knows what they're talking about, they are my go to store.

Get a replacement Holmes Hobbies motor for the truck you have... or get a blx truck and keep this one for spares?

We learned a lot from this one old dude there. He actually did us a solid and opened up our eyes to a few things. We'd still be down and waiting on back ordered parts if he hadn't given us the idea of getting a blx transmission. To me that dude is a legend. Plus it's so bloody close I can make it there after work or whatever. They seem to have problems with keeping their online inventory up to date but when they're literally dealing with thousands upon thousands of individual SKUs of parts that differ only slightly, I mean. They're doing pretty damn good I guess. I've been to Hobby Hobby but that was before we got into this and it was jam packed with goodies. We were just totally out of place at the time: looking for miniatures and paint and gundams and so on. But I remember the place because I would check it out every so often getting cheesecake at Supermoon.

Did anyone ever find a suitable bushing replacement for the arrma brushed motor? Looks like they are not too hard to tear down. Have two with worn bushings now. And one missing a few fan blades 😀

20210807_163839.jpg

Crazy.

Awesome.

I ended up abandoning brushed motors and doing a really expensive upgrade to brushless.

I could literally have bought probably an hundred of those surpass motors and still be brushed right now.

I think I went through 3 motors before I decided to go all in on upgrading.

Do not regret the journey but buying a new 3S truck would have been more cost effective in the end (I did that also btw)

On the cheaper Arrma Voltage 2WD to my surprise (knock on wood) we have not had much trouble with the stock brushed motors. Perhaps once you hit a certain torque requirement their longevity goes down (such as the Granite 4x4). As for the bushings, it just seems less wasteful to pop a couple new ones in. If the specific part was located I bet I could change them out on both my old granite brushed motors. Your right though, even if only keeping a slower setup the brushless is the way to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back