Senton Brushed or brushless for better run times

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryackley

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
Hi guys!! I have a senton mega that I bought 5200mah 2s lipos for longer run times and they only last about ten minutes. So, for better run times should I get a 20turn brushed motor or a mild brushless? I run on a track my kids and I built, with my truck the way it is I run it at 75% throttle. I’d be happy to get that speed but longer run times. What’s my best route to go? Again, I don’t need it to go faster, I just want it to run longer!! Thank you for any help!!

Any suggestions for a motor? And will the stock esc be ok or do I need a new one?

Brushed and brushless ESC's are completely different. you'll need to get a new ESC. I would get a BLX100 ESC from Jennysrc.

As for a motor, you need something in the range of a 3650 at around 3900kv, something like this.

I don't think you'll have to upgrade much for it (drive-train wise), to be on the safe side you can change to the HD input gear on the rear

Geez, are there any decent cheaper options for an esc?

Brushless a cheap 60a esc and 3650 3000-3330kv motor stock gearing on a 2s lipo will put you close to the brushed speed.

Don't know where you're located but there are numerous places to get a cheap combo and for the most part, if you stick to 2s and don't get them wet they will be fine. Cheap escs often need program cards also to change any settings. I would not get any F540 finned can motors though those are best left for 2wds.

Cheap 60a esc 3100kv motor

pWoGjUY.jpg

Hobbywing 60 amp ESC at least, Quickrun 10BL60 i believe it's called. And a 3000-4000KV motor, you can go cheaper there but it should be a proper 3650 can, 4 pole would be nice.
ESCs below this aren't only unreliable but they drive like poop. Cogging, stuttering, not remembering settings...

Thanks for the ideas!! I’m located in Michigan, all the hobby shops are closed so I can’t ask anyone there. I saw a combo from horizon hobby for $75, would it be any good?
Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that blx100 esc was $100+ by itself. Then I looked at Jenny’s rc as suggested and see it’s about $50! That doesn’t seem too bad, but what it’s out of stock. What motor should I pair with it? One with a lower kv?

Attachments

• FB248746-8CE0-4D68-942F-BFAB5CAF0F35.png
    FB248746-8CE0-4D68-942F-BFAB5CAF0F35.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas!! I’m located in Michigan, all the hobby shops are closed so I can’t ask anyone there. I saw a combo from horizon hobby for $75, would it be any good?
Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that blx100 esc was $100+ by itself. Then I looked at Jenny’s rc as suggested and see it’s about $50! That doesn’t seem too bad, but what it’s out of stock. What motor should I pair with it? One with a lower kv?

That combo would be good. You mentioned you weren't really looking for more speed so a 3000kv motor should be fine but I would not go any lower than that kv wise especially if you want to keep using 2s batteries. With the whole COVID-19 thing going on, options and stock in the US are drying up. Options are becoming more limited unless you want something shipped from China.

Jennys RC is on eBay also here's a listing for the BLX100 esc only one left https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-SENT...957493&hash=item5b4e112b5b:g:~5UAAOSwzQFdyv00. Some have had issues with the BLX100 esc lately though so if you buy one I hope you get a good one but the same could be said if you buy a cheap (Goolrc, Surpass, Racerstar, etc) esc. Pairing it with a cheap 3650 size motor 3000kv-3900kv motor for your use right now would be best. You said you were not really looking for more speed. The stock mount really limits your choices for gearing so I would get an adjustable motor mount or slot the stock mount holes, 48p pinions can be had cheap.

If your willing to go the cheap route I can add some more suggestions.

Please do!! Thank you! I’m new to this stuff so I really don’t know what to get and I don’t want to make a mistake. I should’ve bought the senton blx I guess. Run time is most importation me and my kids, these trucks seem plenty fast to me especially on the track we built. I’ve just been disappointed in the run time of the senton, their granite voltages seem to run a good amount on the nimh 3600a batteries I bought. I guess I thought the lipos would give me about the same or better run time. Boy was I wrong. So any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Especially fairly budget ones, my wife won’t put up with me spending too much more on this truck!! ?
Also, would any of these upgrades even get me 20-30 minute runtimes? I guess that’s my biggest concern at the moment, I don’t want to spend more money for the same run time if that makes sense. Thank you again!!!

Last edited:
Please do!! Thank you! I’m new to this stuff so I really don’t know what to get and I don’t want to make a mistake. I should’ve bought the senton blx I guess. Run time is most importation me and my kids, these trucks seem plenty fast to me especially on the track we built. I’ve just been disappointed in the run time of the senton, their granite voltages seem to run a good amount on the nimh 3600a batteries I bought. I guess I thought the lipos would give me about the same or better run time. Boy was I wrong. So any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Especially fairly budget ones, my wife won’t put up with me spending too much more on this truck!! ?
Also, would any of these upgrades even get me 20-30 minute runtimes? I guess that’s my biggest concern at the moment, I don’t want to spend more money for the same run time if that makes sense. Thank you again!!!

I think I'm done bashing on people telling them they shouldn't have bought a Mega, it is what it is. Had you asked beforehand I would say just skip it and buy a BLX. You're probably going to want to get a 3000-3300kv motor then they won't be very fast but easier on battery consumption vs a higher kv motor.

I was looking at new take off combos on eBay from some other brands but they have all sold out now. Anything I would usually suggest is getting harder to find right now with US shipping with what all is going on right now. Listings can come and go but I think it's better if I PM you.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back