Granite Brushed version upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymz007

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Howdy
So after being out of the hobby for 25 or so years, I decided to buy something to bash around the yard with. I didn't want to spend a great deal of money, as I wasn't sure if the bug would bite again or not. (I used to race buggies, with my last car being a Team Losi XX, yeah I'm old)
After a lot of research and in the price range I was looking to spend, the Granite 4x4 seemed to be the best value for dollar.
I bought a couple 2s 50c 5200mah battery packs, which are so much more punchier than the 7 cell NiMH that comes with it.
The problem I have is they really seem to heat things up and I get some premature cutoffs.
I'm attributing this to the stock esc having some pretty small cooling fins and no fan.

When I bought the truck, I'd seen videos of the BLX version and thought maybe I could take this truck to that level and just ease into it, buying upgrades here and there.
Has anyone here done that? Is it worth it or would it be better to sell off what I have and get something else?
If upgrading it seems like a good idea, does anyone have any recommendations of a brushless motor / esc size that I would need for running 2s / 3s packs without overheating?
Brushless for cars is a bit of a new technology to me, as are Lipo's, other than what I have used in my Blade x130 heli

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for any advice.

Howdy and Welcome!

I still have my old XX-CR, and still love the way that car runs and handles... :)

I also started with a Mega Granite. I have upgraded to a 3660 size 3800kv motor, and run on 3s mostly, and the truck is solid. BUT - you must upgrade the slipper/spur, motor mount, and diffs to the BLX gear. If you want to go more mild, (like a 3650 3000kv) you can get the Hot Racing steel 91t 48p spur, and the HD71t input for the rear diff.
For a motor/ESC, it really depends on your budget. There are some really cheap combos from names like GoolRC/Surpass/Racerstar/Oday and others. These are generally pretty low quality ESC's - so buy from somewhere that has a good return policy, as the EWSC's are often DOA, or die the first run. I have a Racerstar system in my Granite, and yeah, the ESC was DOA, but the seller sent me a new one.

The most recommend setup is the Hobbywing Max10SCT / 3660 3200kv combo. Currently backordered at most shops, but a solid system, lots of power.

If you want a really nice OP system, look to Castle, with the Mamba X ESC / 1415 2400kv motor. Sensored system, so it will be smooth, and way more power than the Granite needs. But if you want OP, that will do it... :)
For a motor/ESC, it really depends on your budget. There are some really cheap combos from names like GoolRC/Surpass/Racerstar/Oday and others. These are generally pretty low quality ESC's - so buy from somewhere that has a good return policy, as the EWSC's are often DOA, or die the first run. I have a Racerstar system in my Granite, and yeah, the ESC was DOA, but the seller sent me a new one.

The most recommend setup is the Hobbywing Max10SCT / 3660 3200kv combo. Currently backordered at most shops, but a solid system, lots of power.

If you want a really nice OP system, look to Castle, with the Mamba X ESC / 1415 2400kv motor. Sensored system, so it will be smooth, and way more power than the Granite needs. But if you want OP, that will do it... :)

Considering the price of a good ESC & motor, along with the gears that will need to be upgraded, you may want to consider picking up a BLX model. Always nice to have another car to run while waiting for parts to fix one.

If you decide to upgrade, check out jennysrc.com. could even go with a BLX ESC and motor that they pull from a new 3s model. They also sell the gears you'd need.

I run the mega too. I run a hr steel spur with 3500 kv 3550 on 2 s works ok .but if I did it all over again ive would have gone with the blx.

If I was in the same situation I would just pick up the blx. Less time consuming and cost effective IMO.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.
Not that I mind working on cars at all (I still kept all my old tools :) ) but I think I'll just go with the BLX version.
I really do like this style of truck, so I'll stick with it. I'll keep the Mega as a spare, or give it to my son to bash on. That way he can spend the money on the upgrades lol
Now if I can just find one in stock! ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back