Granite Brushless conversion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythedog

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega 2WD
I’m gathering a few parts to begin the conversion on my bargain 4x2 Granite to brushless. I received my first package from Jenny’s today containing the BLX motor mount and fan and while at the bench I test fit my motor with the fan and the fan keeps the motor from fully contacting the mounts face. The wiring keeps the motor from fully fitting into the heat sink. I’ll assuming that I want he motor fully contacting the mount right? Any work around or just ditch the heat sink?

You can run without the heatsink. Just as a heads up though if the heatsink is too big for the motor then the motor is likely too small for a Granite. You want a 3660 sized motor at minimum.

It’s a Spektrum 3300kv and 85 amp esc so I’m thinking the size is cool and the heat sink is a perfect fit for the diameter just too long for the motor case by about 3mm. I’m probably only going to use 3s occasionally mostly 2s so I’m thinking not too much heat to deal with😀

It sounds like you still have the brushed motor. The heat sink from the brushless motor will need to be cut down shorter to fit the brushed motor. I did this myself so that the vent hole things on the brushed motor were not sealed/blocked by the heatsink.

20230421_141717.jpg

I’m gathering a few parts to begin the conversion on my bargain 4x2 Granite to brushless. I received my first package from Jenny’s today containing the BLX motor mount and fan and while at the bench I test fit my motor with the fan and the fan keeps the motor from fully contacting the mounts face. The wiring keeps the motor from fully fitting into the heat sink. I’ll assuming that I want he motor fully contacting the mount right? Any work around or just ditch the heat sink?
I think just take a hacksaw to it then file the burrs.

It’s a Spektrum 3300kv and 85 amp esc so I’m thinking the size is cool and the heat sink is a perfect fit for the diameter just too long for the motor case by about 3mm. I’m probably only going to use 3s occasionally mostly 2s so I’m thinking not too much heat to deal with😀

I see many people buy that combo and most have heat issues whoever keeps pushing that combo onto people wanting to upgrade their brushed Arrmas to brushless needs to stop doing it. That combo is better suited for a 2wd short course truck or buggy.

I see many people buy that combo and most have heat issues whoever keeps pushing that combo onto people wanting to upgrade their brushed Arrmas to brushless needs to stop doing it. That combo is better suited for a 2wd short course truck or buggy.
Thanks! I’ll had this on my bench for another project and thought I’d use it here 🙁
Do you have a combo suggestion that better suits my needs? I’m just now joining this century with brushless / lipo power and am a total noob

Thanks! I’ll had this on my bench for another project and thought I’d use it here 🙁
Do you have a combo suggestion that better suits my needs? I’m just now joining this century with brushless / lipo power and am a total noob

I would say the Max10 SCT 3660 3200kv combo but it appears they don't sell that anymore. The new G2 system that replaces it is more expensive. https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ss-waterproof-esc-3665sd-hwa38020344/p1455072

Without digging into things to much the stock system out of the 3s Arrma models is always a safe bet and will be a huge improvement over the stock brushed setup.

esc https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-granite-ar102711?_pos=4&_sid=b2f4ec6b0&_ss=r
motor https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...m-firma-ara4302v3?_pos=3&_sid=0a24401cd&_ss=r

Hi All. I was wondering if anybody had experience with this ESC/Motor combo for an Arrma Mega: https://www.amazon.com/Onyx-4-Pole-3000Kv-Motor-ONXS0500/dp/B07VJ1PRM6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3JAN2YH01SBUD&keywords=ONXS0500&qid=1682225077&sprefix=onxs0500,aps,100&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

I noticed it was discontinued on Tower Hobbies but Amazon has some stock left. Thanks
Better suited for a 2wd car imho. Sure it will better than the stock setup but just barely.

If you are on a budget.
This motor will allow you to run the stock pinion https://www.ebay.com/itm/1753693989...KDdczeBPrmdqy9dAJyeDWy0yo=|tkp:Bk9SR9CHgOv1YQ

And this esc https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ess-blx100-esc-speed-control-granite-ar102711

This is the cheapest stuff I can recommend.

A "fan mount" of proper diameter, instead of a HS to mount the Fan is way better and motors runs cooler. A BLX motor's "Can" IS a HS to begin with. An add on Heatsink just adds more mass to cool down IMHO. Slower cool downs, the hotter gets once really too hot. From my experience. I would absolutley have a Fan in place. You are in BLX territory now. Most definitely for summer hot weather running. Heat and friction is a BLX motor's worst enemy. Keep the 2 BB's oiled (less friction) and temps 150F and below ( less heat) and the motor can last for years. Get an inexensive temp gun for your tool box and out in the field for periodic temp checks. Without a temp gun you don't really know what is going on. A simple touch of the motor won't tell you much. 150F Max., measured externally is the general rule. Start with a 40x10mm or even 40x 20 mm fan ( best ). Powered off of any "open Receiver Port" for fan power.

Last edited:

Thanks! I was hoping to keep the EC3 battery connection given all of my Arrma batteries on EC3 right now, but I might need to make the change. I wonder how awful those EC3 -> EC5 adapters are? I was always afraid of cooking an adapter running them between a battery and ESC. I am sure charger to ESC would be fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back