Brushless motor and esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan312

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a granite mega I'm looking to put a brushless motor and esc combo in. Wanting to know what are some combos that would be good. Also wanting to switch to lipos looking for suggestions on what 2s lipos are good and what type of chargers

Also interested in this. Would be very interested in a brushless motor/esc combo. Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck?

It is about time we post some 101's here on the forum ;)

First of all the difference between the Mega motor with a ni-mh battery & a brushless BLX motor on a 2S (cell) lipo is night an day!

Now the bad part: which build (year) Granite do you have?
You might have heard the 2015 and newer models have no metal geared transmission anymore?

That means upgrading to brushless will mean also upgrading the whole tranny with gears and differential :(

If you have a 2013 build, it does have the metal gears.

An alternative could be upgrading to a modest brushless system: something on 2S and 2700-3000kV and 40-45Amp Esc.

This will give less strain on your composite gears and differential, but still be much, much more powerful and faster than the Mega brushed motor.

It is about time we post some 101's here on the forum ;)

First of all the difference between the Mega motor with a ni-mh battery & a brushless BLX motor on a 2S (cell) lipo is night an day!

Now the bad part: which build (year) Granite do you have?
You might have heard the 2015 and newer models have no metal geared transmission anymore?

That means upgrading to brushless will mean also upgrading the whole tranny with gears and differential :(

If you have a 2013 build, it does have the metal gears.

An alternative could be upgrading to a modest brushless system: something on 2S and 2700-3000kV and 40-45Amp Esc.

This will give less strain on your composite gears and differential, but still be much, much more powerful and faster than the Mega brushed motor.

Ya I have several brushless systems and the difference is huge. I'm aware that for some reason Arrma did away with the metal tranny with the newer versions. Disappointing. I am looking into adding metal gears. Until then I'd like to start looking at what folks think is the best bang for the buck for a granite say 100 bucks or less or 150 or less.

I put the sidewinder 3 in mine and been fixing it ever since. Been looking for a metal trans and diffs to put in it but i have no idea where to start. the local hobby store wants to sell me traxxas... go figure.

But the sidewinder cost 100 and my truck goes about 50ish (never did a speed test) on 2s 50c lipo. its like a brand new truck. handles great at speed and doesn't do wheelies all day. it hooks and goes... works great for my purpose... (Short backyard track.)

I would like to know the same thing... where to get the gears and diff.. and what not.. and want to be able to run 3s.. strickly a basher..

I would like to know the same thing... where to get the gears and diff.. and what not.. and want to be able to run 3s.. strickly a basher..

Arrma has everything you need on their website. I bought all the stuff to upgrade my gear set from them and have been running a Tacon 4800KV and a Hobbywing SC8 ESC for awhile now with no issues at all. Only thing I don't like is the damn thing is a wheelie machine now. Have to really baby the throttle to get it going. Even once its going, it'll still pull the wheels if I mash the throttle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back