Brushless Motor and ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbelloso

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Hi all

I would like your recommendations for a brushless Motor and ESC combo, preferably waterproof and affordable.

It would be for a Fury.

Thanks

I never heard of this combo, but on the specifications only this should work!

The BLX system has 80 amps and 3600kV 4-pole, so this could be tiny bit less fast. That said, the BLX is very, very fast.

I would say this gives a bit more control. And top speed can only be reached on a big area of flat tarmac.

Driving with the BLX on loose dirt requires a very well behaved trigger finger ;)

I know, with the stock motor of the Mega my kid just spin the car around and throw herself to floor laughing

This isn't waterproof, but it is resistant... i bought a $25 60a ESC and fan (hobbypower off amazon) and a $15 3900kv brushless. I have gone through at least 2 batteries a day for the past 3 weeks and hadn't had any issue. i drive for about 45 min on a 2s 2000mah. though i miss oppertunities to drive in the stream the cost was super resonable @ $40.... maybe 45 after some plastic dip. my thought is if you want a nice brushless setup go big and get somthing nice name brand and don't hold back. If u want somthing that works make due and be resorceful

Where I live, we don't have snow so the only moments that I would drive it while wet would be after rain. I don't plan to go through puddles or streams. Just want to know if they are good for bashing and reliable?

Yeah brushless are way more reliable. though your gears may not be, so if you drive like you want to fix it you will probably be fixing the gears...the motor will last. 2 things the efficieny of the cheap motors are that of 70% as opposed to nice name brand ones which are 80%-90% so there maybe more heat. I always conteract it by bashing slower, but i have heard of people saying dropping 1 tooth on a pinon will cause for a drop of about 10 degrees. Second I would waterproof your esc and reciever if want to go in anything more than an accidental puddle splash. Recievers esspically.. arrma seems to not let retailers get their recievers for the atx transmitters. Arrma was nice enough to send me one for free but still all it needed was 10centz of liquid rubber and i was out for a week.

Darren, what do you think of the hobbypower products, I now they are not waterproof, but have you compared them with one of the big name brands?

No i haven't tested the name brand stuff.. but there are plenty of tests of the waterproof name brand Motors and escs on youtube. Im sure the Hobbywing/power is resistant. I go through puddels, but im also sure it will fry if u submurge it. I have fried some esc fans because the wires are exposed on the side of the hobbybrand stuff. big puddels with my rc18T killed the fan. I would say a 10th scale would be harder to kill because of clearence. However it is pretty easy to make sure your stuff is waterproof. Though i wouldnt recomend brushless for going through streams but you could if you slapped a few layers of liquid rubber over it. just follow squirel rc on youtube for the steps to making it tight. Youll gain some heat out of that mod so you may want to gear down a tooth if you are in a warm area.

Besides that the only issue i have had from hobby power is some of my esc to reciever cables became loose and started shorting out. But that was user error from strapping them down too hard. Not the product.

Im going to start testing my 11.1v in my arrma for heat and longevity on the esc and motor. Its only a 1300mah so ill take my findings from the little power and apply them for the real test driving like a jerk on 3s for 45min plus

Overall its what do you want man. You wanna spend 200 bones on a castle system or 40 for somthing that will do about the same. With the better systems with their better wires and magnets they will work better, but again, are you trying to make a landspeed record holder or a fun basher
53350719.jpg

I ran the 1300mah 11.1 battery for 30 min half the time around 10mph and half was spent at 40mph. Was around 130-140 degrees after i was done.stock gears and a 39kv brushless:p cant wait to see what happens after i add 2.5 times more MAh

No i haven't tested the name brand stuff.. but there are plenty of tests of the waterproof name brand Motors and escs on youtube. Im sure the Hobbywing/power is resistant. I go through puddels, but im also sure it will fry if u submurge it. I have fried some esc fans because the wires are exposed on the side of the hobbybrand stuff. big puddels with my rc18T killed the fan. I would say a 10th scale would be harder to kill because of clearence. However it is pretty easy to make sure your stuff is waterproof. Though i wouldnt recomend brushless for going through streams but you could if you slapped a few layers of liquid rubber over it. just follow squirel rc on youtube for the steps to making it tight. Youll gain some heat out of that mod so you may want to gear down a tooth if you are in a warm area.

Besides that the only issue i have had from hobby power is some of my esc to reciever cables became loose and started shorting out. But that was user error from strapping them down too hard. Not the product.

Im going to start testing my 11.1v in my arrma for heat and longevity on the esc and motor. Its only a 1300mah so ill take my findings from the little power and apply them for the real test driving like a jerk on 3s for 45min plus

Why don't you use a little bit of liquid tape on the exposed wires and that way you don't fry them.

Thats what you should do with any of those hobbybrand things....its their biggest downfall. Not waterproof. I have waterproofed since the fry on my 18t but not on the arrma yet (heat concerns). If you do just make sure you waterproof the esc and check your temps afterward to make sure everything is good.

Hobbypower/wing is for you. i wouldnt go over 4000kv if you want to use 3s power. if you want only 2s get somthing around 4200-4600kv and not mess with the gearing or you can get somthing over 4900kvplus and change up a few things (prolly a pinion) or you can try to be a hero and go with a 2200kv and try your luck at 4S (You will have to find a nice esc)... you will also have to probably need to shorten the gears a bit (bigger pinion smaller spur)

Is a 4 poles 12T 3300KV Brushless Motor too much power for the Fury?, this would be combined with a 60A Brushless ESC. Iwould like your thoughts about the combo.

Darren do you have a link to what you are using. I am looking for upgrades that don't break the bank and it seems like you found some great deals

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back