Brushless motor rattling sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Hey everyone, just tore apart my Granite, decided to check if the motor is tightened in properly, found out it makes a weird rattling sound when you shake it around. Is this normal? What should I do if it's not?

Hey everyone, just tore apart my Granite, decided to check if the motor is tightened in properly, found out it makes a weird rattling sound when you shake it around. Is this normal? What should I do if it's not?
No a brushless motor shouldn't rattle. Could be a bearing or a magnet.
Just screw it open an see what's inside.

Alright gonna do ASAP
Alright I disassembled it and it's completely clean inside, only the rear shims are completely bent, which I don't understand. But the motor makes the rattling noise even when the rotor is outside of it. Any idea what this could be?

Last edited:
An image of the shims

IMG_20210511_145837.jpg

Wow very bent up. Video?

Edited pics popped up late for me.

Those shims are supposed to be bent. They are preload springs that keep the rotor centered. With out them the pinion gear can walk the shaft in or out and can move enough to wear out the spur gear or break gear teeth.
as for rattling check to make sure theres no tiny stones stuck in the motor windings sometimes they rattle faintly.

Those shims are supposed to be bent. They are preload springs that keep the rotor centered. With out them the pinion gear can walk the shaft in or out and can move enough to wear out the spur gear or break gear teeth.
as for rattling check to make sure theres no tiny stones stuck in the motor windings sometimes they rattle faintly.
Don't see any stones in there
Also kinda forgot how the preload shims are supposed to be oriented lmao
Hope I won't ruin my motor after a month

Motor bearings shot

Oh thanks for the answer then. But the silent pacing sound still makes me worry a bit

This is the sound it makes
Ok so you hear this sound when you shake the motor without any moving parts left in it? (rotor, shims and bearings front and rear)

I can't think of anything else than some sort of debris. Do you have an air compresser to blow it out?
I don't, I inspected it more thoroughly and there's just no debris visible
Strange really

I don't, I inspected it more thoroughly and there's just no debris visible
Strange really
im honestly not sure why it's making that noise... 🤔 it is very strage that it makes noise with nothing inside... maybe the motor casing is hollow on the inside (double walled or something) and debris is inside somehow??? or maybe it's just ghost rocks bouncing around inside... oooooooohhh spoooooookyy (insert scary noise here) :ROFLMAO:

im honestly not sure why it's making that noise... 🤔 it is very strage that it makes noise with nothing inside... maybe the motor casing is hollow on the inside (double walled or something) and debris is inside somehow??? or maybe it's just ghost rocks bouncing around inside... oooooooohhh spoooooookyy (insert scary noise here) :ROFLMAO:
Very spooky indeed
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't ruin the motor

Back